Play Book Tag discussion

A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
This topic is about A Darker Shade of Magic
August 2020: Other Books > A Darker Shade of Magic - VE Schwab - 3*

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elise (ellinou) | 525 comments There are four parallel Londons: Grey London, ours, is the boring one without magic; Red London is the cool one with magic everywhere; White London is the obnoxious cold one with cruel leaders; and Black London is the evil one where magic overwhelmed everything. Kell is one of the last Antari, a magician who can do magic with his blood, including travelling between Londons. He serves as an emissary between the Londons’ rulers, but also smuggles objects from one London to the next for collectors and for himself. One day he accidentally transports a relic from the forbidden Black London, and thus attracts a crapload of problems to Red London.

I started out this book very enthusiastic about the story, but soon enough started to find it... not boring, because it wasn’t at all, but not as original as I’d first thought. I felt like as fun as the characters were, none of them truly felt special, and I wasn’t surprised at a single onr of the “twists.”

I was disappointed in the sense that I’d heard so many good things about this, I think I was expecting more. I don’t regret reading it, but I think I’ll leave it at that and not go looking for the rest of the trilogy.

message 2: by Cora (new) - added it

Cora (corareading) | 1417 comments I had a very similar reaction to this one. I had high expectations and was a bit disappointed.

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2243 comments I really wanted to love this the same way I loved Vicious and Vicious but I didn't. I'm still planning to read the next one sometime but probably not this year.