Play Book Tag discussion

August 2020: Other Books > Island of Hope, Island of Tears: The Story of Those Who Entered the New World through Ellis Island-In Their Own Words by David M. Brownstone

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 966 comments Island of Hope, Island of Tears The Story of Those Who Entered the New World through Ellis Island-In Their Own Words by David M. Brownstone
Island of Hope, Island of Tears: The Story of Those Who Entered the New World through Ellis Island-In Their Own Words
by David M. Brownstone
4 stars
Quote from the book,"From its construction in 1892 to the passing of restrictive immigration laws by Congress in 1921 and 1924, Ellis Island was the gateway where the lives of millions and their concept of America found both confirmation and betrayal."

The book has eight chapters. Each chapter walks you through the different stages of a person’s life pertaining to the getting ready, going to, arriving and life after arriving to Ellis Island. There is not a cohesive story-line that has a beginning and end, it is more of snippets of a person’s story and scattered among the chapters. I don't care for that but I did find the book fascinating. Some of the short stories are haunting, raw, heartbreaking and others beautiful and dreams come true.

Overall this book does not paint a pretty picture of the Ellis Island processing practice. Women complain about the medical screening process which had them stripping down waist up in front of others is one example.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7989 comments This sounds right up my alley - adding it~ Thanks for sharing