Ducks, Newburyport
This topic is about Ducks, Newburyport
Week 4, Day 5 - all the rest

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angel (last edited Aug 19, 2020 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angel Belsey (angelbelsey) | 119 comments Mod
End bits:
We get a sweet little map of the lioness’s journey from Appalachia to Alligator Mound (and, incidentally, what must be a drawing of those sugar cookies).

The Glossary is the type of thing I’m not good at looking at at the best of times, and I didn’t cross-reference while reading, but looking at it now, here are some abbreviations (“sanitized for your comfort!”) that stand out for me:

BBR
BLOTUS
CAF
DARVO
ECF
F4J
GOTMFV
IACIYAD
IDK
IOKIYAR
KIND
LAH
MFOL
MFSOB (wonderful sanitisation)
OBR
PND
POTUS (you won’t regret looking)
RACDHR
SWAG
SYG
TWC
UAE
WWJD
YTA

The Appendix is concerned with the themes that have run throughout the book: animals living wildly, humans taking advantage of nature, humans fighting and killing not only animals and the environment but also each other—but also bridges, and self-referential work, and memory, and pies.

The referenced works are:
- Jubliate Agno, Christopher Smart
- Ohio Annals: Historic Events in the Tuscarawas and Muskingum Valleys, and in Other Portions of the State of Ohio
- The Navigator, Zadok Cramer
- Domestic Manners of the Americans, Fanny Trollope
- My Life and Hard Times, James Thurber
- Emily of New Moon, L M Montgomery
- The History of Tuscarawas County, Ohio
- Letter to Major Edward W Winkoop from Silas Soule
- The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined, Steven Pinker, quoting Tsutomu Yamaguchi
- The Bridge, Hart Crane
- Mansfield Park, Jane Austen
- Edith Wharton, from her journal (which is quoted in her biography by Hermione Lee)
- 'Note on Painting', Robert Rauschenberg, from Pop Art Redefined, J. Russell and Suzi Gablik
- Bottom-crust fruit pie recipe, from Tarts with Tops On by Tamasin Day-Lewis (reproduced here in Recipes, too)

Angel Belsey (angelbelsey) | 119 comments Mod
I think I'm going to give it a day or two before I write down my final thoughts here.