What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Looking for character driven literary fiction recommendations similar to Emily St. John Mandel and Tea Obreht

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hi all! I read Tea Obreht's Inland last year and absolutely loved it. I was hoping some of you might be able to recommend similar books? Things I liked:

-It was subversive to the genre- not what you expected when you hear "western"
-It was character driven
-Characters were full of shades of gray, neither one of the MCs was what you would consider "good" but were also not inherently bad, they felt human
-The writing was absolutely beautiful

The only other comparable titles I can think of are: Station Eleven and The Glass Hotel both by Emily St. John Mandel

I am not particular about genre- but would like something literary leaning. I do tend to avoid contemporary time periods but I am not ruling anything out.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35392 comments Mod
Sarah, you need to add a more general description of the type of books you're looking for in the topic header. Assume most members are not familiar with the book you mentioned.

Click the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Kris wrote: "Sarah, you need to add a more general description of the type of books you're looking for in the topic header. Assume most members are not familiar with the book you mentioned.

Click the small "ed..."

Thanks Kris- I edited it. Hopefully that helps, let me know if I need to be more specific.

message 4: by Alfred (last edited Aug 24, 2020 03:51PM) (new)

Alfred William | 1 comments Sarah, you need to add a more general description of the type of books you're looking for in the topic header. Assume most members are not familiar with the book you mentioned. VidMateTeatvShareit

Click the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I did edit it though? It’s fine. I don’t know how much more general I can get than “character driven literary fiction”.

It’s fine. I’ll just delete the thread when I can get back to a computer.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 271 comments No Sarah, I think this is good, unless a moderator states otherwise.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 271 comments Here are some popular readalikes that I found:
The Snow Child
The High Divide
Homegoing
The Son

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39633 comments Mod
"Alfred" just joined the group minutes before he came and posted about how you should write your post, so he's not exactly qualified to do so and is just parroting Kris.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39633 comments Mod
Sarah left the group but we'll keep the thread open as per usual. She could rejoin.