Pre-Columbian History discussion

What we're reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen Pugh (intrepiddudettes) | 22 comments Mod
Hi there!

Is anyone reading anything about pre-Columbian history at the moment? Or has recently?

I've been looking at the Inca conquest of Ecuador and read this today: https://www.ancient-origins.net/ancie....

message 2: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Walters | 3 comments I visited the ruins of the Inca in Cuenca Ecuador and Ingapirca, about 3 hours from Cuenca.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1JbR...

message 3: by Helen (new)

I visited them many years ago when I lived in Ecuador. They're amazing! Recently the local gov was discussing maintenance and restoration work there. Hopefully it will go ahead.

message 4: by Nora (new)

Nora Castaneda | 1 comments I read Los Muiscas. It was written by an archeologist. It gives a good oversight of the evidence that has been in found in Bogota and nearby regions of the inhabitants at the moment of the Spanish conquest. The book is in Spanish.

message 5: by Helen (new)

Nice! The Muisca culture seems fascinating and the women played significant roles in the Confederation, so I've read.

message 6: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Walters | 3 comments Helen wrote: "I visited them many years ago when I lived in Ecuador. They're amazing! Recently the local gov was discussing maintenance and restoration work there. Hopefully it will go ahead."

The Banco Central museum in Cuenca was very fulfilling and had a lot different indigenous artifacts from the different cultures in Ecuador. The Canari are very fiery people and resisted the Incas for sometime.

message 7: by Helen (new)

Yes, I know. Sadly, that museum was closed the one time I visited Cuenca! The one in Quito is also really good. My favourite museum, however, is the one in Coca. I wrote an article about it that Mainly Museums edited and posted on their website: https://mainlymuseums.com/post/612/mu....

message 8: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Walters | 3 comments Thank you very interesting article.

message 9: by Somormujo (new)

Somormujo | 1 comments I am reading now something included in pre-Columbian history but I feel that this is not the sense of the group, because it is about Romans:.. Africanus is its title

message 10: by Helen (new)

Thanks for commenting, Somormujo. So does the book mention pre-Columbian cultures as well as the Romans?

message 11: by Helen (new)

Right now I'm reading The End of the Spear by Steve Saint. I've seen the film many times and always wanted to read the book. Although it's set in modern times, the Waorani people were never conquered by the Spanish or during the Republican era, so in a way it is pre-Colombian history.

message 12: by Helen (new)

I'd love to hear what others are reading or have read!

message 13: by Jaime (last edited Nov 24, 2020 04:46AM) (new)

Jaime (goodreadsjaime_contreras) | 5 comments I recently finished reading Jose Barreiro's quasi-historical / memoirs book, 'The Indian Chronicles' The Indian Chronicles by José Barreiro about 'Diego' Columbus, the adopted son of Christopher Columbus. It was a revealing and and gritty account of the devastation of the Taino (and Carib) people and culture and the fight for their rights and survival. I was moved to tears as I read the accounts of brutality, slavery, and dehumanization of these island people.

message 14: by Helen (new)

Jaime wrote: "I recently finished reading Jose Barreiro's quasi-historical / memoirs book, 'The Indian Chronicles' The Indian Chronicles by José Barreiro about 'Diego' Columbus, the adopted son of Christopher..."

Wow, Jaime. That sounds fascinating. Thank you for sharing it with us.

message 15: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (goodreadsjaime_contreras) | 5 comments Helen wrote: "Jaime wrote: "I recently finished reading Jose Barreiro's quasi-historical / memoirs book, 'The Indian Chronicles' The Indian Chronicles by José Barreiro about 'Diego' Columbus, the adopted son ..."

Few historical books have touched me like this book did but I am better for having read it. I am in no way a Columbus basher but the truth is out there. He was a fallible and flawed man and in his ignorance he was a major player in the destruction and enslavement of indigenous peoples. The journal entries and letters of Diego are a mixed bag of initial respect to anger and loathing of Christopher Columbus and the Castilla (Spanish). I highly recommend this book to anyone who wishes to know more about the pre-Columbian world and their tragic near-decimation at the hands of the Spanish.

message 16: by Helen (new)

Thanks for that. It's on my "to-read" list now for when I'm finished promoting my new book!

message 17: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (goodreadsjaime_contreras) | 5 comments Do we discuss pre-Columbian historical fiction books? I have read dozens.

message 18: by Helen (new)

Of course. :) I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested to hear about them.