World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > How is Corona virus affecting people emotionally and physically?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments I've read recently that people are having problems dealing with the isolation and anxiety caused by the virus. More people are having suicidal thoughts and experiencing depression. Others are worried about their children, about elderly parents and those recovering from addiction. Also, people are postponing medical appointments and dealing with health problems on their own for fear of going to the doctor or hospital. Any thoughts?

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15184 comments Yeah, corona is not an awfully cheerful event to result in upbeat mood. I guess some weather it stoically, others - not so well. Add to health and distancing worries, economic and employment uncertainty and the picture may indeed look gloomy. Hopefully, this predicament is temporary. Depression may be one of the natural emotional responses, however it doesn't help much. Better to try to cope, continue living a life with a due care and precautions and hope for better times.

message 3: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 3908 comments I'm mostly taking it in stride. I wasn't a popular kid, so I got used to solitude early. The main thing that I have to keep working on is my temper. I often have to pause and collect myself before reacting, because the cost of an angry word often outweighs the reason for it.

As for others, I'm kind of amazed by their inability to deal with silence. We all have demons. I've spent enough time with myself to know my demons, and how to deal with them. I watch others struggling to fill any moment of silence with noise, and I wonder how horrible their demons must be that they cannot stand even a moment of silence. This must be nightmarish for them.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10939 comments I am similar to J. I was something of a loner as a kid too, and when my wife died here I was back to being alone, so I had plenthy of practice before the virus came along. Of course I would prefer it wasn't around and I am glad our government has more or less got on top of it but for the most recent leak, and even then there are no increased deaths. Getting good treatment early in the infection does seem to help. But overall, my view is that when in isolation, try and find something to do that you like doing.

message 5: by G.R. (new)

G.R. Paskoff (grpaskoff) | 254 comments If it weren't for the highly communicable nature of this disease, our lack of understanding on why some people are asymptomatic and in others it is fatal, and feeling that every time I dash into a store to buy groceries I am putting my life at risk, then I would be loving this. Most of my hobbies are loner type activities anyway: reading, writing, art, crafts, golf, etc.

That said, I do wish the virus would just go away already. As Scout alluded to, I am postponing things like doctor and dentist appointments just because I am worried about others' cavalier attitudes toward social distancing. But myself aside, I feel terrible for those suffering economically from this pandemic and can only imagine the emotional toll they are feeling.

message 6: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments Glad to know I'm among other introverts here. The isolation isn't a problem for me as it is for my mom, who needs social interaction. I call or see her a couple of times a day, but I know that's not really enough for her, as it's probably not enough for other people who are social and don't have solitary pursuits which help them pass the time.

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 214 comments I am a profound introvert (in the Myers-Briggs sense that interacting with people tires rather than energizes me), and most of my pastimes are solitary (reading, writing, painting). Plus, my wife & I don't go out much anyway so staying at home is not much different from normal life.

On the surface, you'd think I'd be fine, apart from relatively minor inconveniences such as waiting to enter a store, one-way systems marked on floors etc. The most impactful change for me is not being able to walk into my local library and browse the shelves. If that's the worst I have to deal with, then I can't really complain.

BUT ... I've found my mental health coming under increasing strain. I still go into the office most days but it's like a ghost town. I'm used to my work day being surrounded by people and noise and chatter and hallway conversations. Despite being an introvert, I miss it. Badly. Worse, I've noticed I'm becoming worn down by the ever-present wariness as we pass in the hallway, everyone keeping their distance and some people backing off and going another way when they see me coming.

OK, I think that's pandemic caution and not just me :)

But no matter how I rationalize their (and my) behaviour, there is a constant emotional cost. It hurts. Just because other people's company tires me doesn't mean I can live without it. Humans (including introverts) are inherently social creatures and this distancing behaviour is not natural.

message 8: by Marie (last edited Aug 19, 2020 08:51PM) (new)

Marie This is an interesting subject and I am glad you brought it up Scout.

I agree with Ian (from the post right above my post) that people normally are sociable and pulling that away from people even if it is for health reasons has given lots of people anxiety issues as there are lots of people out there that need to "feel" that connection with other people.

Personally I am a homebody and have always been that way. I have never been one to run around and be away from the house hours at a time. I can always find something to do around the house.

But my concern is that doctors are not wanting to see their patients at all. Primary care doctors right now are doing virtual visits with their patients and truly what good is a virtual visit as the patient cannot be checked out thoroughly.

Precautions can be taken to make sure the health care providers are protected, but in my opinion the doctors are putting their patients more at risk by not seeing them as patients have other health issues besides covid.

Now I have a chiropractor that I go to for my back and they are seeing patients. Here are the precautions that the chiropractor I go to is taking: Everyone wears masks (of course), the staff takes your temperature the minute you walk in the door, they only have three chairs in the lobby (normally there would be six chairs) and the chairs are six feet apart, and the room that has the chiropractor bed is sterilized the minute you walk in there by the staff. They do it right in front of you so that you can watch them do it. The chiropractor also wears gloves so they are not touching you with their bare hands.

Now with all that being said, my wonderings are that why can regular MD doctors take those same precautions and take care of their patients like they should be taken care of?

People are dying at home not because of covid so much as they are not able to see their doctors to have their other health issues dealt with.

I was discussing this with a friend that lives in New York and she told me that the governor of New York made an announcement making doctors see their patients so they can take care of their health.

If precautions can be taken by other doctors than MD doctors ought to be able to take the same precautions.

message 9: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments I'm still working three days a week as a physio (my normal hours), so I don't mind coming home and staying home.

We wear masks all day, and there is constant cleaning and hand washing, and our receptionist screens everyone. Our local GPs are still seeing people via a combination of telehealth and in person visits. I had an in person visit today, and will do a Telehealth consult to get my blood test results.

So far, we have had no community transmission closer than 100km from our area. But as my GP and I were discussing today, we have to assume anyone we come into contact with may well have COVID-19, and behave accordingly.

I am finding the constant vigilance at work a bit fatiguing. It's quite a relief to remove my mask, wash my hands one last time and then head home. Mind you, it's nothing compared to those in hospitals who are in full PPE the whole day.

message 10: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 3357 comments This is a very interesting discussion. I have not lost a day of work. I go in everyday. My job has changed a bit, so I deal with the public lots more than usual. Part of my job is to deliver food boxes to pantries. I am seeing front line response and how average people react. When it started, it was both disbelief and "it won't happen here". Then when it hit hard, it was fear. Now mostly it is exhaustion and people getting fed up. I am starting to see the "why do I have to be locked down if I am not in the danger group" It is a legitimate question, but misses the entire point.

What does worry me is the lack of human contact for all, but mostly children. Kids need interaction and it is not helping they are not getting it. I certainly understand the social distancing, but it is going to be very interesting to see how this affects the next generation. Our tweens and teenagers are not learning proper social interaction and if it goes much longer, it can become very rough when we return to normal. We are closing in on six months, so everything social learning is getting backed up at least nine months to maybe a year right now.

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10939 comments The problem Papaphilly raises goes straight to the point. The theory behind the lockdown concept is simple. If everyone does it properly at the same time, in something like 4 - 6 weeks the virus is eliminated, so everyone can return to normal. There should not be long-term consequences of that. It is like everyone going on an extended holiday simultaneously b ut staying at home.

The problem is, it seems very difficult to do it properly because there are usually enough exceptions through people not committing to keep the virus alive. A few countries did achieve this, but there are leakages from people travelling from countries that did not, and the big problem then is you cannot continue having partial and ineffective lockdowns because society and the economy simply cannot sustain them. All we can do is hope that a vaccine arrives, or we can all look forward to being culled as we age.

message 12: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 3357 comments Even if we all stay home, the borders always have activity. The southern border that causes all of the strife still leaks and some of the illegals and returning Americans will have COVID-19. That is not mentioning ships, planes, and those Americans that will just not lock down and wear a mask.

message 13: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 3908 comments I thought that we were just trying to blunt any spike in serious cases which would require ICU beds. Isn't that what "flatten the curve" was all about?

I went into this thinking that we were trying to save lives by slowing the spread of the disease down so that ICU beds and ventilators would be available for the people who would need them. I figured that we would be dragging this out for months, so I prepared for a long slog. I altered my behavior as recommended ie. social distancing, OCD hand washing, masks, etc. I set aside two weeks worth of provisions with the expectation that I would at some point be quarantined. And I've gone to work everyday knowing that if/when I get infected it will most likely be by one of my co-workers. But when politicians and journalists start moving goal posts and making special pleadings on behalf of zealots and rioters, I can understand why people want to throw their hands up.

message 14: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Scout wrote: "I've read recently that people are having problems dealing with the isolation and anxiety caused by the virus. More people are having suicidal thoughts and experiencing depression. Others are worri..."

There are a bunch of 2nd and 3rd order effects from our societies response to the pandemic, which - in retrospect - may come to outweigh the illness itself.

For me personally, work is as busy as it ever is, perhaps even more so with the complications of the pandemic.

I was working from home as much as possible prior to the pandemic, so no real change there.

The key thing I'm missing is the presence of family and friends due to lock down and associated social distancing.

message 15: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments Same for me, Graeme. I miss holding my grandson and hugging my son. I see my parents with a mask on and distanced from them. I visit with my friends outside in our yards. No more restaurants; no more movies, which I so enjoyed. I live a simple life, but even the simple pleasures are restricted. And I don't know about you guys, but I'm waking up from bad dreams a few times a week.

message 16: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Scout wrote: "Same for me, Graeme. I miss holding my grandson and hugging my son. I see my parents with a mask on and distanced from them. I visit with my friends outside in our yards. No more restaurants; no mo..."

Entirely anecdotal, but I seem to be dreaming more too, or at least remembering them.

My wife and I have both noticed that the days are blending in with each other. We have to ask ourselves what day is it - rather than just knowing.

message 17: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments Yes, my friends and I are the same, having to remind ourselves what day it is.

message 18: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1775 comments My life came to a stop in many respects that you all mention when I realized my disability was permanent. Things such as no job, no routine, limited interaction because everyone else was busy while I was divorced, children elsewhere and no grandchildren. (Yes, I have one now, but that is 1800 miles away.) I took my long road trips every couple of years and a lot of driving across Arizona to visit my son in prison for 7 years. So, initially, the virus was not much difference in my life. Asking my phone or Alexa what day it is was almost a daily thing in my life.

But, now I have reached the point where what I can't do is getting to me and I take more risks like going out on a dinner date, being hugged by someone I haven't seen in a year, and drinking. I barely drank alcohol (although I use it in a lot of cooking). Suddenly, I am emptying the bottle of wine, drinking bourbon on ice, and deciding I need beer and pizza.

A more than acquaintance, less than friend, by my definitions, is a chef. I met him right after my surgeries and disability, as my secretary told him about my herb garden. 8 years later and now he has made me dinner twice in two weeks. He is definitely one of those that can't handle quiet.

I think I have reached the point of this whole thing grating on my nerves and I am like a kid who keeps putting their foot a little further over the line, wanting something to happen to stop the boredom. And, my 2nd problem has been with me all my life - many things I only want as soon as someone says I can't have it. i want a road trip. I want a beach. I want normality and am not sure it will ever happen anymore and so I buy another bottle of bourbon.

message 19: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 3908 comments Lizzie,

I'm glad to read that you got your chef friend to cook for you. I hope that the food and conversation were good.

As for the strange brew of stale fear and cabin fever which we are all experiencing to some extent, the most appropriate thing that I think I can do is recommend a book. The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius has been helping me to get out of bed for many years.

“What we cannot bear removes us from life; what remains can be borne.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

message 20: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1775 comments The food was good. The conversation up and down. I often go a week without talking out loud to anyone. My job was very dependent on my communication skills, so strange to talk for hours suddenly. Though, eventually my eyes glaze over on the car talk - even though I am the one looking for the car that is bigger than a Miata but gives me the same feeling somehow. He is one of those people who absorb information and never forgets what he reads, sees, hears. My ex-spouse person was the same way.

With the economic crisis and the affect on the restaurant, along with him having a very autistic son that will always require care, he is trying to get a new career, so a lot of studying for him.

But, after all this time of being careful because of the virus, I recognize that I deliberately took a risk because I have not been able to do a road trip in too long. I am tired of being cooped up and eventually antsy outweighs my intelligence and common sense.

message 21: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15184 comments Lizzie wrote: "....Suddenly, I am emptying the bottle of wine, drinking bourbon on ice, and deciding I need beer and pizza...."

Hopefully it's not because of the pernicious influence of our drinking threads. Consume ice and pizza responsibly! :)

message 22: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1775 comments Nik wrote: "Lizzie wrote: "....Suddenly, I am emptying the bottle of wine, drinking bourbon on ice, and deciding I need beer and pizza...."

Hopefully it's not because of the pernicious influence of our drinki..."

I haven't actually read the drinking thread. Might be something to do when opening the next bottle of bourbon. : )

message 23: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15184 comments Watch out for the announcements towards the weekend :)

message 24: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10939 comments Yes, irresponsible consumption of pizza makes you overweight, and ice, well . . .

message 25: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 3357 comments Ian wrote: "and ice, well . . ."

Waters down the drink. One should never water down their Scotch or Bourbon with ice.

message 26: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 3908 comments True.

Lizzie, you might want to try whiskey stones. There are lots of different styles and materials to choose from. https://www.amazon.com/Beverage-Chill...

Or you could keep a bottle of vodka in the freezer.

message 27: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1775 comments Never been a vodka drinker. There was a time where I drank a lot of gin martinis back in my 20s.

I only put an ice cube in the bourbon in the summer time. It is 100 degrees here. The chill stones look like a good idea.

Last night was pizza and beer. This morning was chorizo, homemade flour tortillas, fried potatoes, beans and a perfectly cooked egg.(I guess chef decided inviting me for breakfast, since I admit to never having eaten chorizo.) Today I weigh 2 lbs. less than last weekend.

I think I just don't eat much being usually alone. I have bored with my own cooking and local fast food and frozen meals starting long before the virus, but which is now worse in terms of what's available and how enjoyable it is to go to a store. I am not worried about that putting weight on, unless my craziness from the walls closing in becomes more severe. My doctor would like me to gain a few pounds (and the chef thinks I should - which means he will need to start making pastries and breads - those are my downfall.)

Sadly, that whole failure to go to California this past spring has now affected my wine supply. I cook with wine and serve it to guests or take it to holiday events. Apparently, I have gone through all the good stuff and didn't realize it. So now I am out of wine and Bookers.

message 28: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments J., I also read Marcus Aurelius and find wisdom there. Two good quotes for these times:

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.

message 29: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 3908 comments Scout wrote: "J., I also read Marcus Aurelius and find wisdom there. Two good quotes for these times:

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Very little i..."

Professor Michael Sugrue gave a lecture on Marcus Aurelius which should be part of the standard curriculum.

https://youtu.be/isz_xwBl96M

message 30: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 3908 comments Lizzie wrote: "Never been a vodka drinker. There was a time where I drank a lot of gin martinis back in my 20s.

I only put an ice cube in the bourbon in the summer time. It is 100 degrees here. The chill stones ..."

Yeah, I'm one of those weird people who likes the Bombay Sapphire Martini.

If all else fails you can try Drizly for wine and liquor delivery:

https://drizly.com/

The food sounds good.😋

message 31: by David (new)

David Ho | 1 comments The pandemic does have adverse social and mental health consequences, such as panic and phobia (or obsession with exaggerated irrational fears); increase in child physical abuse and domestic violence; depression and suicide (another lethal consequence driven by greater loneliness and feelings of social isolation).

In my 2019 book Rewriting Psychology: An Abysmal Science? I stated that mental health professionals have demonstrated “collective impotence” (http://www.brownwalker.com/book/16273...). Although I would like to be proven wrong, their response to the pandemic lends further credence to my accusation.

There is a strong link between loneliness/depression and drug overdoses. In the U.S., prescriptions for anti-anxiety medications rose and sleep-aides have increased significantly over the past few months; and psychiatrists prescribed 86% more for psychotrotic drugs, primarily anti-depressants. Prescriptions such as these can lead to a sort of addiction or pathological dependency on medication. What is profitable for pharmaceutical companies is abhorrible for a nation already having too many over-medicated individuals. The Foundation for Economic Education recently reported “alarming spikes in drug overdoses—a hidden epidemic with the coronavirus pandemic.” Is the situation any better in other countries, such as China?
Recovery from the coronavirus is an arduous process. Coronavirus patients in intensive care have experienced paranoid and often terrifying hallucinations that can slow recovery and increase the risk of depression. A life is saved when a patient leaves the intensive care unit. But the discharged patient has to face lingering health problems, such as muscle weakness, breathing difficulties, and cognitive impairment. Furthermore, the young and previously healthy are not immune to lasting debilitation.

Additionally, as reported by the New York Times (Aug. 11, 2020): “Months spent in lockdown and the pandemic’s effects on the economy appear to have contributed to an abnormally large increase in homicides across 20 major U.S. cities.”
Rewriting Psychology An Abysmal Science? by David Y. F. Ho Rewriting Psychology An Abysmal Science? by David Y. F. Ho

message 32: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15184 comments Welcome, David, and thanks for weighing in from a more professional perspective

message 33: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan This is mind-bogglingly bad.

"Summary
What is already known about this topic?

Communities have faced mental health challenges related to COVID-19–associated morbidity, mortality, and mitigation activities.

What is added by this report?

During June 24–30, 2020, U.S. adults reported considerably elevated adverse mental health conditions associated with COVID-19. Younger adults, racial/ethnic minorities, essential workers, and unpaid adult caregivers reported having experienced disproportionately worse mental health outcomes, increased substance use, and elevated suicidal ideation.

What are the implications for public health practice?

The public health response to the COVID-19 pandemic should increase intervention and prevention efforts to address associated mental health conditions. Community-level efforts, including health communication strategies, should prioritize young adults, racial/ethnic minorities, essential workers, and unpaid adult caregivers.

The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has been associated with mental health challenges related to the morbidity and mortality caused by the disease and to mitigation activities, including the impact of physical distancing and stay-at-home orders.* Symptoms of anxiety disorder and depressive disorder increased considerably in the United States during April–June of 2020, compared with the same period in 2019.

The percentage of respondents who reported having seriously considered suicide in the 30 days before completing the survey (10.7%) was significantly higher among respondents aged 18–24 years (25.5%), minority racial/ethnic groups (Hispanic respondents [18.6%], non-Hispanic black [black] respondents [15.1%]), self-reported unpaid caregivers for adults§ (30.7%), and essential workers¶ (21.7%)."

REF: (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/w...

message 34: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 3357 comments J. wrote: "Yeah, I'm one of those weird people who likes the Bombay Sapphire Martini. ..."

No, I like it too.

message 35: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Bombay Sapphire is gin?

message 36: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 3357 comments Yes

message 38: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 3908 comments If you want to try it, here's a how to on mixing the Bombay Sapphire Gin & Tonic.

https://youtu.be/zcDqZuSOtWY

I do like the tonic pour technique. Plus, quinine may or may not be helpful in fighting off the Coof.

message 39: by Graeme (last edited Sep 05, 2020 08:43PM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan We have that here. One of my favorite gins on those rare occasions I may drink some.

message 40: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments J, great lecture on stoicism. https://youtu.be/isz_xwBl96M
Every point Aurelius makes makes sense
to me. Live your life so that you have nothing to feel guilty about. Don't worry about what you can't control. If you're not doing your best, don't expect others to take up your slack. I'll watch it again and take notes.

message 41: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1775 comments Suffering from severe insomnia and the current medications for that failing to help me sleep, the doctors like to prescribe older antidepressants and anti-anxiety medicines because side affects include sleeping (for some people). When I have been awake for 32 hours or more, I have learned to put the klonopin in a separate bottle so as not to take more than I realize within a given period. When it finally does work, it's not sleep, it's more like an alcohol blackout. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that a portion of those suicides by overdoes on prescription medications is really the result of being so desperate to sleep that the OD is unintentional. If you live alone, that can easily result in death.

I also take melatonin and other supplements all in the attempt to sleep regularly and vitamins to address my inability to eat regular meals. Many people do these things and don't tell their doctors what all they are taking, which can cause problems.

message 42: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Lizzie wrote: "Suffering from severe insomnia and the current medications for that failing to help me sleep, the doctors like to prescribe older antidepressants and anti-anxiety medicines because side affects inc..."

My heart goes out to you, Lizzie. Take care.

message 43: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 3908 comments Lizzie wrote: "Suffering from severe insomnia and the current medications for that failing to help me sleep, the doctors like to prescribe older antidepressants and anti-anxiety medicines because side affects inc..."

My thoughts are with you.

message 44: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 3357 comments I suffer from from insomnia once in a while and it is murder on me. I had it so bad once that when I did sleep, it was more like falling off of a cliff and not really resting. Those months were a nightmare.

message 45: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments Lizzie wrote: "Suffering from severe insomnia and the current medications for that failing to help me sleep, the doctors like to prescribe older antidepressants and anti-anxiety medicines because side affects inc..."

You sound like you're having a really rough time, Lizzie! I certainly hope that you're able to sleep soundly soon.

message 46: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15184 comments Driving long distance after skipping the sleep can be straining. Hope you take a good care, Lizzie

message 47: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments Lizzie, my dad has been trying full spectrum CBD oil, which was recommended by his friend who has cancer. Dad says that it helps with his back and shoulder pain and helps him sleep. I ordered some the other day for my back pain, and I'll let you know if it helps. I had previously ordered pure CBD oil, which didn't help because many of the ingredients of cannabis have been extracted. I've read a lot about full spectrum CBD oil, and you might want to check it out. I won't say how effective it is before I try it, but do some research on your own.

message 48: by Lizzie (last edited Sep 09, 2020 06:36PM) (new)

Lizzie | 1775 comments Thanks all. It's been going on for a long time now. In 2012 the doctor figured stress, pain from the surgeries on my arms, the kid going to prison, the husband leaving me to become the woman he felt he was and the job (on top of the migraines I have had since age 30). By early 2013, I was forgetting things, which was NOT typical for me. It affected my job. By the end of 2013, no longer able to work because of the nerve damage in my arms, wrists, and hands. The doc and I both expected it to get better and it didn't. I feel like a test subject for medications. The insurance won't approve any sleep tests because I don't have sleep apnea. (I suspect you have to be able to sleep for any sleep tests, which is problematic.)

Once I reach 30 hours of not sleeping, I don't drive anywhere. When i reach 48, I take the stuff to knock me out, which takes 4 or more hours to work. Then I crash for a day, followed by real sleep after that initial knockout wears off. I hate it. Difficult to plan anything. It was all easier to deal with when I thought there would a a cure or it would stop. I still try, with mediation type programs. For now, I just try to cope. It makes it very hard to plan tomorrow though, let alone a week from now, so I avoid commitments as much as possible, so as not to let people down.

I recognize this has all gotten worse since living alone, but even as a a kid I would wonder the house in the middle of the night. My dad would find me where ever i crashed at some point, inside nad outside. Silver lining - at least I don't sleepwalk.

message 49: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments I wanted to come back to this thread because I'm feeling, at times, overwhelmed by this Corona virus thing. I do all the shopping for my parents in their 90s, and I'm constantly worried about exposing them to the virus. It's driving me a little crazy. I have one friend I see in person because she's very careful also. Seeing her is all the fun I have. No eating out, no trips to the beach, no movies, no casual shopping -- my usual sources of fun. Aaargh!

message 50: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1775 comments I have expanded some of my activities. Our mall is pretty empty of stores, but I went last week to one of the stores to get some things. My friend has taken me to 4 restaurants and my son to 2. With the public distancing of the tables, I haven't felt worried. I met up with a friend for lunch out and also another paralegal and attorney for lunch in their office. For me, the lack of a road trip, the isolation I was enduring because my family isn't here (my son is a 4 hour drive each way), the discomfort of anyone coming to my house is disquieting. So many things are closed down and many of them in our small town will not open again - stores and businesses that have moved out of the mall.

My biggest stress is what will Christmas be. Normally, I have bought bunches of stuff for my kids and grandkid, but I am afraid to do so because I don't know if I will have to mail everything or if I will get to see my daughter and granddaughter. I haven't seen them since last Christmas season.

My son goes and visits his grandmother and his girlfriend is an ER nurse. I do worry about her at 105 (I think, I have lost track), but so far there have not been any problems as a result.

I am really bored and tired of TV and books, which has lent itself to drinking. Normally, it is an occasional thing, but has become much more regular the past few months, which is not good for me.

« previous 1