Foggy Book Club discussion

Far From You
This topic is about Far From You
August 2020 - Far From You > Chapter 61 - End + Final Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olga Chronics (olgachronics) | 102 comments Mod
Final thoughts!

Nico (nicoreads) | 43 comments I kind of sped through the last chapters in a blur, so, unfortunately, didn't take the time to write up anything from the chapters before. Just going to merge all my thoughts here instead.

Umm, so I had a theory who was responsible last time (and a creepy suspicion as to why based on one VAGUE statement by not even a side character, just a cameo character) and I can't believe I was right. I think the reason why I could make my guess was based on well... the news (at least in the US) and how horribly because of the news it seems common (although, luckily, I doubt it is that common).

I liked the wrap up of the story a lot. The final confrontation was pretty gripping, and I admired Sophie's drive to fight.

I appreciated, too, the recognition of internalized ableism by expressing that hey, she's crippled (her words, not mine) and that's how it will be and the acceptance that life is rarely as we plan and that can be okay too as long as we try not to always grieve what could have been and instead accept who we are now.

I do find it dark that Mina truly did not have to die. I don't think she had all the pieces together yet, nor did she seem particularly close. All I think she knew for sure was about Jackie being pregnant and that wasn't super helpful as long as Jackie remained missing. The paranoia that she MIGHT figure it out was enough, and that was rough to read.

This book was losing me about 1/3rd of the way, and I pushed through and think it was a worthwhile read after all.

I really liked a bisexual lead character, especially one that was given the opportunity to express true unflinching love for someone else. Bisexuality is still kind of treated as if it's just so people can "keep their options open" in some circles, and that's so wrong. Some of the biases and misunderstandings about it come through with how Mina treats Sophie's feelings as if they could just "transfer" to Trevor.

The oppressive atmosphere of small-town living and the oftentimes fundamentalism that can be part of that (and thus lead to secrets and secret shames) was an issue that was interesting to me. Like I said before, living in a relatively big city has really granted me the privilege of anonymity and the ability to easily be myself.

Like the ending overall.

Olga Chronics (olgachronics) | 102 comments Mod
I also found that Coach would somehow be involved when they talked about him making sure Matt goes to the meetings and how much of a great guy he was.
I enjoyed the journey of self-acceptance that Sophie goes on. In the early parts of the book I was frustrated at how much she seemed to hate herself, but she did learn to accept that she is disabled and that's okay. And that she is bisexual and that is okay too. I loved that she explained it like "it depends on the person" to mean she loves the person, not necessarily the gender. I also appreciated that the main characters are both LGBT but different, so it added some nice layers of complexity that show the author did want to bring representation for real, not just to tick those boxes.

I thought that Mina's death was "pointless" too, you're right, dark is the right word. It's sadly a common thing though, people being killed for petty reasons.

There was for sure a slow start, and because of how this book was mis-represented/marketed, i was frustratingly looking for the details of the murder and not understanding what the point was to all the relationship dynamics. Only when I finished do I have this sense of realisation that the book was about that journey of self-discovery, acceptance and grieving what might've been.

Overall a good read, but i'm genuinely sorry that I was so frustrated with how the plot wasn't about the mystery that I maybe missed some of the finer nuances of the relationships.