2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

A Merciful Promise (Mercy Kilpatrick, #6)
This topic is about A Merciful Promise
A Merciful Promise > Question D

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6269 comments Mod
Pete, the head of the group (America’s Promise), comes across as charming and charismatic. But, what happens at the compound is very different from his demeanor and messaging. Is it clear why the men would sign on and follow him? What about the women? What would motivate them to join these type groups?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 770 comments I have nothing in common with these women, I don't think. Working like a dog and being treated as less than that -- I would not last.

I don't honestly see how the men were so blind to the quick disappearances of those other guys; who could stand and watch a man be beaten to a pulp and go along with it?

Robin (robinmy) | 1419 comments These cult-like groups always have a charming and charismatic leader that people will do anything for. I just don't get it. What do they see in these leaders that makes them go along with anything they say?

I'm with Charlene. I wouldn't last more than a day in that camp.

I will always be mystified as to why women would agree to this lifestyle. The men? They end up normally with a pretty good deal...being able to be in charge of the woman in the household, to have them be subordinate to them in every way. The men typically weren’t too successful outside of the community. This seems to bolster their ego.

I’m with Charlene. What does it say about you to be okay with seeing men be beaten to a pulp for using a cell phone or to have a woman go without food for two days? This is insane and who died and made the leader judge, jury and God!

I wouldn’t last an hour. I’ve been around many charismatic leaders but never lost my sense of self. Maybe I’m just not wired the same way.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2023 comments I don't get it. Every time I watch a show about cults I shake my head. I live in Clearwater near the Scientologists' Sea Org compounds. Every so often something comes out that makes me furious. I watch people in their uniforms walking through the city like lemmings, it is disgusting.

I found that most people who join these groups are missing something in their life. They can't make it in a career. Their parents abandon them physically or emotionally. They experience some trauma and the group think helps them in some way. They offer an escape until the cult takes over their ability to think. Women always seem to give up the most. I always hope that a cult will start with women at the helm.

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 166 comments Mod
Agree with you all. I don't get it. I'm not cut that way. I think it must feed some need, but I don't know what. I think these chameleon style "leaders" are pros at manipulation & figuring out just where & how hard to "poke" to get people to follow like lambs to slaughter. Sickening.

message 7: by Jonetta (last edited Aug 13, 2020 01:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

There’s something in the human condition that drives a need to be part of something, whether it be a sorority/fraternity, a country club or a men’s lodge. The acceptance is some sort of validation. I believe cults fill that need for the most dispirited and those charismatic leaders can read those vulnerabilities. I think that’s why Mercy failed in the compound on so many levels. Pete could see she was missing that quality, no matter how hard she tried to be obedient.

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 166 comments Mod
Jonetta wrote: "There’s something in the human condition that drives a need to be part of something, whether it be a sorority/fraternity, a country club or a men’s lodge. The acceptance is some sort of validation...."

Absolutely. I agree.

Robin (robinmy) | 1419 comments Well said, Jonetta.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2023 comments Good point Jonetta.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 727 comments Agree with all your comments. It's a cult, it and their followers are a law unto themselves.