Play Book Tag discussion

The Unbearable Lightness of Being
This topic is about The Unbearable Lightness of Being
August 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4044 comments The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera - 4 stars - My Review

This book tackles the meaning of life by exploring the concepts of lightness and weight. Set in 1968, coinciding with the period of history known as Prague Spring, the four primary characters (and a dog) represent these concepts through the choices they make. Tomáš is a surgeon who represents lightness in his amorous adventures with numerous women. Tereza, his wife, represents weight in her loyalty and desire for stability.

This book is a philosophical contemplation of love, fidelity, politics, and destiny. I not the best person to articulate all the philosophical nuances in this book. I imagine many theses have been written on it. I read it in small doses and looked forward to picking it up each time. It certainly engages the brain.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Aug 08, 2020 11:30AM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5681 comments I've had this on my tbr for many years. Thanks for the reminder. I got the impression it had a sort of dreamy quality. You sound like you approach this kind of book the way I might. Lately I'm really enjoying books that will engage my brain - but only in small doses. : D

Joy D | 4044 comments NancyJ wrote: "I've had this on my tbr for many years. Thanks for the reminder. I got the impression it had a sort of dreamy quality. You sound like you approach this kind of book the way I might. Lately I'm real..."
I took a philosophy course years ago. I think it might be time for a refresher (more reading, lol). This book lends itself to reading in small doses, as the chapters are very short. I like to read a bit, and ponder a bit.