Austenesque Lovers TBR Challenge 2020 discussion

Group Activities > Someone Else Pick It For Me - September

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 698 comments Mod
If you are willing to place one of your September reading choices in the hands of another person, leave a comment here with at least five books and no more than ten from your TBR shelf. Participants need to leave comments no later than Aug 25th.

Here's how it will work:
Sophia will match people up and leave a comment with a list of who will choose for whom.
When you see the person you are to pick for, then just look at their list in the above comments and leave a new comment with their name and the book you chose for them by August 31st.

You also need to watch and see what book your person chose from your list for you.
You have the rest of the month to read the book.

So if this sounds like something you would like to do, just comment below leaving your name and list of book choices for someone to pick your September book.

message 2: by Sophia (last edited Aug 24, 2020 09:45AM) (new)

I'm in!
Let's get this list started:
1. The Austen Playbook by Lucy Parker
2. Mr. Darcy's Clan by Lari Lynn O'Dell
3. GEORGIANA by Sue Barr
4. Strong Objections to the Lady by Jayne Bamber
5. Definitely, Maybe in Love by Ophelia London
6. The Dragons of Kellynch by Maria Grace
7. Schemes of Felicity: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Suzan Lauder
8. Amelia Webster by Robert Rodi

message 3: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Me too!
1. Green Card by Elizabeth Adams
2. The Darcy Ring: A Pride and Prejudice Sequel by Mark Brownlow
3. Pride and Prejudice and Passports: A Modern Retelling by Corrie Garrett
4. An Unnatural Inheritance: A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Virginia Brand
5. Austenistan by Laaleen Sukhera
6. The Longbourn Letters: The Correspondence between Mr Collins & Mr Bennet by Rose Servitova
7. Being Mrs Darcy by Lucy Marin
8. In Plain Sight: A Pride & Prejudice Variation by Don Jacobson
9. Catharine or the Bower by Jane Austen and another author who escapes me just now (sorry, author! Anyway, it's a completion)

message 4: by Kirk (last edited Aug 06, 2020 03:59PM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments 1) Amanda
Amanda (Austen Series, #5) by Debra White Smith

2)Badly Done, Emma Lee
Badly Done, Emma Lee (Riches to Romance #3) by Leah Marie Brown

3) Possibilities
Possibilities (Austen Series, #6) by Debra White Smith

4)Northpointe Chalet
Northpointe Chalet (Austen Series, #4) by Debra White Smith

5)Reason & Romance
Reason and Romance (Austen Series, #2) by Debra White Smith

message 5: by Patricia (last edited Aug 27, 2020 12:04PM) (new)

message 6: by writer... (last edited Aug 29, 2020 10:11AM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 110 comments I'll be back to post my list...

Mr Darcy's little sister
Jane Austen goes to hollywood
Cassandra and Jane
Walking Jane Austens England
ONe of my unread Stephanie Barron novels

message 7: by Momtoten (new)

Momtoten /Cherith Boardman | 80 comments I'd like to participate, but I'm about to go on a Wi-Fi less vacation for a week, and I won't get back until Sept 2. Would I still be able to participate?

message 8: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Momtoten wrote: "I'd like to participate, but I'm about to go on a Wi-Fi less vacation for a week, and I won't get back until Sept 2. Would I still be able to participate?"
Enjoy!!! Pending Sophia's approval, I or someone else could take your place in selecting(I don't mind double selecting) and whoever randomly chosen could select for you. Lol...or....I don't mind waiting until Sept 2 for my book to read. :)

message 9: by Sophia (last edited Aug 24, 2020 03:43PM) (new)

You sure can, Momtoten!

Just post your list up if you can, before you go, but no worries if you can't since Sept 2nd isn't that big of a wait.

And, it looks like Kirk (thanks Kirk) is willing to help out. So, I'll take him up on that.
I think what we'll do is have you pick for me and leave your choice either before or after your trip.
And, we'll have Kirk pick from your list when it goes up for what you will read.

So it will look like
Momtoten > Sophia
Kirk > Momtoten

Enjoy your trip!

message 10: by Sophia (new)

Kirk wrote: "Momtoten wrote: "I'd like to participate, but I'm about to go on a Wi-Fi less vacation for a week, and I won't get back until Sept 2. Would I still be able to participate?"
Enjoy!!! Pending Sophia'..."

You're the best, Kirk. Thanks for helping out.
Just check out my comment above to see how we'll work it. You'll still have someone else picking your book for you this way. :)

message 11: by Momtoten (new)

Momtoten /Cherith Boardman | 80 comments Sophia wrote: "You sure can, Momtoten!

Just post your list up if you can, before you go, but no worries if you can't since Sept 2nd isn't that big of a wait.

And, it looks like Kirk (thanks Kirk) is willing to..."

Thanks very much Mr Kirk and Ms Sophia. For you, Ms Sophia, I choose "The Dragons of Kellynch". That one is on my TBR, and I loved the Dragons of Pemberley series. I am very interested in this one, too.

For Mr Kirk's selecting pleasure:

1) Rose Cottage, by AK Madison
2) The Deception at Lyme, by Carrie Bebris
3) Sought, by Sarah Johnson
4) Mr Darcy's Magpie, by Kara Louise
5) President Darcy, by Victoria Kincaid

I've been reading more now that the writing of my WIP is done (editing though), so please choose for me, Mr Kirk.

Thank you so much for working around my vacation. I'm looking forward to spending time with my kids.

Godspeed!

message 12: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Momtoten wrote: "Sophia wrote: "You sure can, Momtoten!

And, it looks like Kirk (thanks Kirk..."

Ok!! I've read one of the five and my rating indicates it was ok. The other four look interesting in different ways. Hmmmm.... For myself there are a couple I would choose but my choice for you is....

5) President Darcy

message 13: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Sophia wrote: "Kirk wrote: "Momtoten wrote: "I'd like to participate, but I'm about to go on a Wi-Fi less vacation for a week, and I won't get back until Sept 2. Would I still be able to participate?"
Enjoy!!! Pe..."

Great, thanks!!!!!!!

message 14: by Sophia (new)

Dragons, it is! Thanks for the pick, Momtoten.

Enjoy your special away time with your family. And, wishing you well on edits. :)

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 72 comments i just finished the deception at Lyme!

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 72 comments Momtoten wrote: "Sophia wrote: "You sure can, Momtoten!

And, it looks like Kirk (thanks Kirk..."

I just finished deception at lyme. have you read the previous books in series?

message 17: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Patricia wrote: "Momtoten wrote: "Sophia wrote: "You sure can, Momtoten!

And, it looks like ..."

I've read them all. My far and away favorite is the last one... Suspicion at Sanditon. I was recently on a Zoom that the author took part in. Alas her writing didn't come up. I'd love for her to take on The Watsons.

message 18: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) The Watsons would make a great setting for a murder mystery! It's so dark already, and with appealingly vulnerable characters. But would the perp be Tom Musgrave or Robert Watson? Or maybe Penelope, in cahoots with the Doctor? Kirk, you've introduced a new squirrel into the cage of my brain!

message 19: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Hmmmm...all great candidates! After reading Catherine Austen Hubback's "The Younger Sister" in the spring(400 hundred years ago???), I'm going with the pocket Fanny Dashwood...that mean social climber herself...Jane Watson. Watch the sister in law, as The Death of Miss Austen reminds us.

message 20: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Her smuggery does cry out for punishment!

message 21: by abmom (new)

abmom | 19 comments I want to be part of this. This is my list.

1. Mr. Darcy's magpie - Kara Louise
2. The journey home to Pemberley - Joana Started
3. Beswitched - Karalynn Mackrory,
4. Rogue's widow - Nicole Clarkston
5. Chance encounters - Linda Wells.

message 22: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 236 comments I would like to add a few if it is not too late...

1. Accusing Elizabeth, Jennifer Joy
2. Disenchanted, Kara Pleasant
3. Lovers Knot, Jeanetta James
4. Death Takes an Holiday at Pemberley, Kelly Miller
5. The Fashionable and the Young by Alyssa Jefferson

message 23: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Goodreads seems to be not sending me any mail at all right now--no new posts on threads I follow, no daily update--so I may not respond right away when you post the list. I'll try to check in periodically.

message 24: by Sophia (new)

Hi all!

First thing, you have my apologies for being appallingly remiss in getting the list up on time. My excuse was a wifi outage the first day and then totally forgetting after it came back on. :)

But, back to the reason we're all here. I drew the names for our picks and here they are. For those who might be first timers, you will scan the list for whose name I randomly picked for you. Then, you go back up in the discussion thread and choose which book you wish them to read. Post a comment of your pick for them by Sept 1st.
Don't forget to check for which book someone picked for you.
Enjoy your books and feel free to comment after to how it went.

Sophia > Patricia
Abigail > Elin
Kirk > Momtoten
Patricia > Abmom
Momtoten > Sophia
Abmom > Abigail
Elin > Kirk

Happy Reading, all!

message 25: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Hi, Elin! I've been hearing charming things about Disenchanted, so I'll recommend that for you.

message 26: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 72 comments abmom, the rogue's widow by Nicole Clarkson Sounds the most interesting to me. I hope you enjoy it!

message 27: by Sophia (new)

Hi Patricia!

I couldn't decide between Seasons of Waiting or Suspicion in Sanditon, but flipped a coin. :) So, I choose Seasons of Waiting for you. Crossing my fingers it's a good one.

message 28: by abmom (new)

abmom | 19 comments Hi Abigail, all your choices are great. I had a tough time choosing. Since I find modern retelling a bit more intriguing, I choose Greed Card fir you. Hope you enjoy it.

message 29: by abmom (new)

abmom | 19 comments Thanks Patricia, that is a book I've been wanting to read for sometime now.

message 30: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 236 comments Thank you, Abigail! I admit I was hoping for Disenchanted :)

message 31: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 236 comments Kirk: I choose your number 2 Badly Done, Emna Lee because I love modern Emma variations. Hopefully, you do too :)

message 32: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Thanks, Abmom. Great choice! Lately I've been focusing on P&P retellings set in non-Anglo cultures, so that one fits right in and I'm long overdue for reading it.

message 33: by Kirk (last edited Aug 28, 2020 12:49PM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Elin wrote: "Kirk: I choose your number 2 Badly Done, Emna Lee because I love modern Emma variations. Hopefully, you do too :)"
Great, thanks! Yes indeed although I'm always concerned how the Mr Knightley figure is protrayed. Dept of Irony...on one of FB pages JAFF Emma was discussed yesterday. One person mentioned and I agreed that If I loved You Less was enjoyable... especially the location! If I Loved You Less by Tamsen Parker

message 34: by writer... (last edited Aug 29, 2020 10:30AM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 110 comments writer... wrote: "I'll be back to post my list...

Mr Darcy's little sister
Jane Austen goes to hollywood
Cassandra and Jane
Walking Jane Austens England
ONe of my unread Stephanie Barron novels
A Leenie Brown title "

Sorry to be late..
Adding mine In case another reader joins the challenge. T Y!
(Not at home, thus can't list titles for last 2 options)

message 35: by Sophia (new)

Happy to pick for you, Writer!

How about Walking Jane Austen's England? That looks good. :)

message 36: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 110 comments Sophia wrote: "Happy to pick for you, Writer!

How about Walking Jane Austen's England? That looks good. :)"

Lovely! Thanks Sophia 😉

message 37: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Elin wrote: "Kirk: I choose your number 2 Badly Done, Emna Lee because I love modern Emma variations. Hopefully, you do too :)"

I did enjoy it. 3.5ish. I'm calling it Clueless in the Cotswolds! Thanks again! :)

message 38: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 236 comments Oh, I had wished it was a fabulous five... Well, 3.5 isn't that bad.

message 39: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Elin wrote: "Oh, I had wished it was a fabulous five... Well, 3.5 isn't that bad."

Yes indeed!

message 40: by abmom (new)

abmom | 19 comments Patricia, I've to thank you for the selection of book. I just finished it and it was one of the
best JAFFs written. I enjoyed every word of it. Thanks again.

message 41: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 236 comments Abigail: Thank you, I have read Disenchanted. Thrilling story!

message 42: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Glad you enjoyed it, Elin!

message 43: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Thanks, Abmom, for the selection of Green Card. I am glad to clear it off my TBR where it has resided for an inordinate length of time, but sadly it was not a favorite. Very predictable Cinderella fantasy, and looooong.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 44: by abmom (new)

abmom | 19 comments Sorry the book was not up to your expectation. I too have it on by TBR list. Now I will push it back till I get desperate.

message 45: by Megan (new)

Megan (DaRcyWho) (meg7lea) | 4 comments I'm late to the party can I still get someone to pick for me?

1. The Jane Austen Book Club
2. The Jane Austen Quilt Club
3. Confessions of A Jane Austen Addict
4. The Jane Austen Project
5. Bridget Jone's Diary

message 46: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Megan wrote: "I'm late to the party can I still get someone to pick for me?

1. The Jane Austen Book Club
2. The Jane Austen Quilt Club
3. Confessions of A Jane Austen Addict
4. The Jane Austen Project
5. Bridge..."

I've read 4 out of 5. I haven't heard of #2.
I'm delighted to pick The Jane Austen Project!(Dept of Disclaimer...I follow the author here and on Instagram). Looking forward to your thoughts. Happy reading!!! :)

message 47: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) That's what I would pick as well.

message 48: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 110 comments Sophia wrote: "Happy to pick for you, Writer!

What a lovely guidebook.. filled with photos, maps and insider info. Great choice , thankyou, Sophia!

message 49: by Momtoten (new)

Momtoten /Cherith Boardman | 80 comments Kirk wrote: "Momtoten wrote: "Sophia wrote: "You sure can, Momtoten!

And, it looks like ..."

Thank you very much Mr Kirk. I shall be sure to read it ere the end of the month!

message 50: by Sophia (new)

writer... wrote: "Sophia wrote: "Happy to pick for you, Writer!

What a lovely guidebook.. filled with photos, maps and insider info. Great choice , tha..."

I like the looks of that one and now more than ever since you enjoyed it. :)

« previous 1