The Baseball Book Club discussion

Book Suggestions > Looking for easy-to-read books on analytics

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Fenton | 10 comments Hi folks!
As above, I'm looking for easy-to-read books on baseball analytics and how to interpret stats.
I read "The Shift" as a part of this group, and have enjoyed the discussions it has brought about, especially now in the 60-game season with modified extra-inning rules.
Thanks in advance, hope you're all keeping well in these strange times.

message 2: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Fenton | 10 comments Found this and enjoyed it -

A Fan's Guide to Baseball Analytics: Why WAR, WHIP, wOBA, and Other Advanced Sabermetrics Are Essential to Understanding Modern Baseball https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

message 3: by Albert (new)

Albert (albertlyu) | 3 comments Jeremy, you might be interested in The MVP Machine: How Baseball's New Nonconformists Are Using Data to Build Better Players if you're interested in the intersection between baseball analytics and player development, or Future Value: The Battle for Baseball's Soul and How Teams Will Find the Next Superstar if you're more interested scouting.

Here's my book review of "Future Value":
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 4: by Meril (new)

Meril (morineko) | 6 comments I enjoyed Future Value but it's really sad, because all that stuff that Longenhagen and McDaniel wrote about was true for the baseball world pre-2020 but may not be the way scouting works in the future.

On the other hand, the stuff they say about how to evaluate players yourself will still be accurate, once you can see players in person.

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike Kennedy (mpkennedy3) | 7 comments Not sure I agree on the MVP Machine totally. It is a good look at how player development has changed recently and it has a lot of data. I wouldn’t term it an easy to read analytic book though. If you don’t have a good understanding of analytics I feel you could be overwhelmed by this book. It is heavy in data, low on an easy reading story line. I felt like it read more like a journal entry.