What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Candide
This topic is about Candide
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fiction book with the theme of Irony, set about in the 1800's, man travels the world and is constantly unlucky. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Caitlin Kaspar | 2 comments I “read”it my senior year of high school in 07/08. My English teacher read books that were a little out of the box. I remember the book had a theme of irony because he said we learned that the song Ironic is not actually about irony.

It was set and written in about the 1800s, title was a little on the long side. The main character traveled around due to unlucky circumstances. I believe he ended up in South America and maybe Africa at one point.

Right after this book we read “The Stranger” to give an idea of the type of books he had us read.

☯ DαякєηRнαℓ  ❛ ᶜʳᵒᵘᶜʰᶤᶰᵍ ʰᵘᵐᵃᶰ ; ʰᶤᵈᵈᵉᶰ ᵗᶤᵗᵃᶰ ❜   (darkhearteternal) | 864 comments Hello - Just a thought, but if your teacher was the one who introduced you to this book, I mean if you can remember his name, and where he worked, can't you contact him and ask if he remembers what it is?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new) - added it

Lobstergirl | 39606 comments Mod
Caitlin, please put some of those plot details into your topic header.

message 4: by RainyDaze (new)

RainyDaze (rainydazes) | 5 comments Could it be The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho?

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35366 comments Mod
Caitlin, that's a good start. You must add genre (e.g., YA [teen] coming-of-age, adventure?) and plot details (from your first post) to the topic header (title), so someone could recognize your book from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

We have thousands of book requests. We close threads with vague headers.

Click the small "edit" link after the topic header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

- Can you tell us more about the main character (e.g., his age, hometown/country, the unlucky circumstances, family)?

message 6: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 60 comments Candide?
(The English title can be long depending on the translation.)

Caitlin Kaspar | 2 comments Nadia wrote: "Candide?
(The English title can be long depending on the translation.)"

Yes! This is it. Thank you!

message 8: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 60 comments Of course, glad I could help :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Candide (other topics)