Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > Review Mailing Lists

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Beers | 21 comments Have any of our authors used a resource to build a mailing list where the reader agrees to be added to your list in exchange for a free review copy of your book? In addition, how many of these readers decide to act the jerk and immediately demand to be removed from the list (even though they got the book and agreed to be added) after receiving the first email update?

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 151 comments Amazon rules say you cannot offer a free book in EXCHANGE for a review, this is considered paying for reviews.
Calling any of your readers 'jerks' is not likely to go down well.
And yep, people do join mailing lists to get free books and then unsubscribe, mainly because they can't get them for free any other way.
You don't want these people on your list anyway. They won't buy anything and you'll still get charged by your mailing list service.

The free book is your reader magnet, a way to get people to subscribe to your list. That is what you primarily want when building a list.
When you 'know' them a little better, maybe introduced the idea of reviews.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Beers | 21 comments Perhaps, Emma, you should consider responding on topic rather than making your reply so aggressive.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 151 comments My reply was 100% on topic, and offered sound advice.
As I run the largest peer review group on Goodreads, I know a little about the review rules.
I apologize if you considered my reply aggressive. I've re-read it, and I can't see the issue, but perhaps that's just me.

To answer your specific points:
No, I wouldn't demand a review from anyone who signed up to my mailing list. Its against TOC. I do offer free books to get people to sign up.
Yes, people unsubscribe all the time. People who grab reader magnets can sign up to hundreds of email lists.
They don't owe you anything, unless they are on a specific ARC list - rather than picking up a freebie reader magnet.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bourque | 29 comments I agree Emma, you were on topic and just being straight-forward. My problem is, I haven't got a clue what a 'mailing list' is, unless it's an abbreviated word for email list? And I don't know anything about offering free books for sign-up? And to top it off, what does TOC stand for? Reader magnets? People who 'grab' reader magnets?

Is there somewhere on the Goodreads site where I can read about all this. I feel so far behind in knowing stuff. Thanks Emma.

message 6: by Tilly (last edited Aug 04, 2020 01:32PM) (new)

Tilly Wallace (tillywallace) | 84 comments I agree with Patricia, Emma's response was on topic and straight-forward. I do have an issue with an author calling readers "jerks" (as I am sure some of the many readers who read this topic might also).

Emma - a mailing list is a list of email addresses of readers who want to hear from you. You want one, that is your direct connection to people who enjoy your books :)

To address the topic, I have a newsletter list and intend to build it by offering a free book so I can participate in promotions offered by BookFunnel, ProlificWorks, StoryOrigin etc. I haven't started aggressive list building yet as I need to set up an automation sequence, to warm up those old subscribers and (hopefully!) turn some of them into engaged fans.

I have no issue with people downloading a free book and then unsubscribing. From what I have read, you want people to unsubscribe so that you are only paying for the fans on your list. If people unsubscribe from my list, I ask them to consider following me on BookBub if they only want new release or deal announcements.