Paper Lantern Writers Read! discussion

General Discussion > What time periods do you like to read about?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda, Aloha E Komo Mai (new)

Linda Ulleseit (lindaulleseit) | 40 comments Mod
Is there a particular era that demands your attention? One where you have to read every novel that is set there?

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Pritchett (klooslip) | 1 comments Mod
Whatever I'm writing about at the time. It's fun to see how other writers capture an era. For my first book set at the end of the 19th century in the American West I read a lot of homesteading accounts. I'm currently writing about the Gilded Age in the West so that's what has my attention now. That said, I just devoured "The Mercies" by Karen Millwood Hargrave. It's set in 1617 Norway which is not at all my era, but so compelling that it made me want to read more books set in that time period and place. Because it wasn't about the time and place I'm researching now it was more play than work.

message 3: by Linda, Aloha E Komo Mai (new)

My first love in historical fiction was ancient Egypt. Then colonial America. I jump around a lot.

message 4: by Ana (new)

Ana Brazil (panab) | 4 comments Mod
I enjoy reading about strong women who see a problem and go after a solution. So that's my era.
Too broad?
Although I've written about Gilded Age New Orleans and my WIP is "Murder and Mayhem on the Vaudeville Stage in 1919 San Francisco", I am really thrilled by Colonial & Revolutionary America history. And this was before Hamilton wooed us.
ALSO...I've been watching Time Team--which is archaeological digs of the UK--and am finding myself more and more intrigued by Roman Britain. Guess I'll need to read more of Kelli Stanley's Roman Noir!

message 5: by Linda, Aloha E Komo Mai (new)

Ana wrote: "I enjoy reading about strong women who see a problem and go after a solution. So that's my era.
Too broad?
Although I've written about Gilded Age New Orleans and my WIP is "Murder and Mayhem on th..."

What a great quest--to find strong women like that in every era!

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie (medicmedic) | 1 comments I’ve been fairly burnt out on WW2 and 1918 pandemic lately. So many good books from that era were stuffed into my head. I’m reading Conjure Women now (mid 1800s) and intend to hang out here for another free books.

I’m also burnt out on Nigerian settings as it seems there’s been a burst of those lately.

I just finished The Book Women Of Troublesome Creek, of which I’m relatively closely related to the blue people (only 3 generations back before they enter my family tree). Also read This Tender Land, The Orphan Collector and The German Girl in the past 2-3 weeks.

message 7: by Linda, Aloha E Komo Mai (new)

Julie wrote: "I’ve been fairly burnt out on WW2 and 1918 pandemic lately. So many good books from that era were stuffed into my head. I’m reading Conjure Women now (mid 1800s) and intend to hang out here for ano..."

I was fascinated by that book. And you're related! So are there still people today that are actually blue?

message 8: by Linda, Aloha E Komo Mai (new)

I've posted topics for books by century, up through the seventh century. Historical Novel Society lists are provided to get you started. I've discovered there is a LOT of historical fiction I have not yet read! How about you?

message 9: by Linda, Aloha E Komo Mai (new)

I gave up on the by-century topics. Too many nearly-dead centuries! I've grouped them to make it easier. Start posting your favorite books!