The Rebellious Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
BOTM Discussions > August 2020 BOTM - Shadow and Bone (Leigh Bardugo)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maja (The Moonlight Reader), The Head Mod :) (new)

Maja (The Moonlight Reader) (majalovesreading) | 642 comments This is the August BOTM discussion topic!

message 2: by shea (new)

shea Awesome.

message 3: by shea (new)

shea I sadly won’t be able to join, for I can’t get the book for another 14 weeks. :(

message 4: by Maja (The Moonlight Reader), The Head Mod :) (new)

Maja (The Moonlight Reader) (majalovesreading) | 642 comments Oh that's a shame :( can you not get the audiobook or ebook either?

message 5: by shea (new)

shea I was checking on ebook and audiobook, but I might be able to get an actual book! I could also buy it.

message 6: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments i read this book last year. it's not my favorite book that leigh bardugo has written, but it still is an amazing read!

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Aspenson | 4 comments I am so jealous of those readers who are going to experience this book for the first time! I would take a literal bath in Leigh Bardugo's words. She is a goddess.

message 8: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments I just finished it and I really enjoyed it! The Grishaverse world and magic system were both really cool, and I thought the story was really interesting. My favourite character would have to be the Darkling. He was such an interesting and mysterious character. Though I did feel like the characters were a bit underdeveloped, and the love triangle idea was cliche, I still enjoyed the story and I will be continuing the series! :)

message 9: by Maja (The Moonlight Reader), The Head Mod :) (new)

Maja (The Moonlight Reader) (majalovesreading) | 642 comments I agree with the cliche and the love triangle! It seemed almost very....... unoriginal at those parts. The Darkling was also my fav character too. The magic system is definitely great, and I'm glad you're continuing with the series! :)

message 10: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments yes, it may be cliche, but we should take into consideration that this was released in 2012

message 11: by Maja (The Moonlight Reader), The Head Mod :) (new)

Maja (The Moonlight Reader) (majalovesreading) | 642 comments Good point

message 12: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) Oh gosh, I really hated this book. The love triangle was laughable (love is not a shape, my friends), the Chosen One narrative was weak, Alina and Mal annoyed the heck out of me, and Alina became a super-special-snowflake goddess-type heroine way too quickly for my tastes. The Darkling's name was so ridiculous it was impossible to take him seriously. I just... this book annoyed me. A lot. I also didn't like how Zoya was portrayed. She was so 2-D and petty. I found myself rooting for her, though, because Alina was so bad.

message 13: by Maja (The Moonlight Reader), The Head Mod :) (new)

Maja (The Moonlight Reader) (majalovesreading) | 642 comments I agree with the Darkling's name! For me, it was so similar to duckling, I just pictured a little black duckling waddling around everywhere trying to look menacing but it's being too adorable! You can't unsee it now! :)

message 14: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) OMG that's amazing!!! :D I was thinking "Darling" but now I can't unsee duckling

message 15: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) I don't like the "ling" at the end of "Dark," it made him sound like a rebellious toddler

message 16: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments I didn’t mind the name, but I can see why it might bother you. It’s funny how Alina was shocked when the Darkling was revealed to be using her, even though his name is literally a direct giveaway that he’s the villain.

message 17: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) Maybe she thought he was the "misunderstood villain" or something

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Not my favourite Leigh Bardugo book, but I still liked it a lot. I've read the rest of the series and Seige and Storm is definitely better than the first. Nikolai Lantsov all the way!!!

message 19: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments i actually think i liked siege and storm less than i liked shadow and bone. i loved nikolai, but he was kinda the only thing i cared about in the book... i don't really remember exactly what happened in these series even tho i read it just a year ago. hopefully i'll re-read it before the show comes out

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.