Christian Historical Fiction discussion

Anyone up for a Buddy Read?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (dandyjenn) | 66 comments Does anyone want to do a buddy read with me? I will definitely be reading both A Life Once Dreamed by Rachel Fordham and A Sparrow in Terezin by Kristy Cambron in August, but am open to other suggestions as well (if I have access to it! 😊)
A Life Once Dreamed by Rachel Fordham A Sparrow in Terezin (Hidden Masterpiece #2) by Kristy Cambron

message 2: by Sarah's (new)

Sarah's Bookstack (sarahbookstack) | 12 comments I really really want to read A Life Once Dreamed, but I don't have that book right now. And I don't know when I will be able to go to the library. :(

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (dandyjenn) | 66 comments Sarah, A Life Once Dreamed is actually not out yet... My sweet sister pre-ordered it for me for my birthday. It's officially coming out on August 4th. I absolutely love Rachel Fordham's books, so if you are wanting to read it with a buddy once you are able to get your hands on a copy, I will gladly read it again with you!

message 4: by Sarah's (new)

Sarah's Bookstack (sarahbookstack) | 12 comments Jennifer wrote: "Sarah, A Life Once Dreamed is actually not out yet... My sweet sister pre-ordered it for me for my birthday. It's officially coming out on August 4th. I absolutely love Rachel Fordham's books, so i..."

Now I'm even more excited about it! I want to order it too! I will try to purchase it in August and we can read it together in September maybe? I still have to catch up on my other books. :)

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (dandyjenn) | 66 comments Sounds like a plan! I'm sure I will be ready to read it for a second by the time September rolls around, anyway! 😊 I have plenty of other books to keep me occupied in the meantime too!!! I guess we can just keep in touch until then. Maybe you can let me know once September is getting close when you would like to start it and we can post a thread for it then. I'm looking so forward to it!

message 6: by Sarah's (new)

Sarah's Bookstack (sarahbookstack) | 12 comments Awesome! Sounds good! I just bought my books to read for August, but since it’s my birthday at the end of August, I might treat myself with a couple more books. 😉

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (dandyjenn) | 66 comments Hahaha That sounds like a perfectly acceptable plan to me! ;) Happy early birthday, by the way!!!
Do you mind me asking what books you just bought? I'm always looking for good suggestions! Though I don't know why because my Want-to-Read shelf is waaay larger than what I can manage for the next couple of years!!! :O

message 8: by Sarah's (new)

Sarah's Bookstack (sarahbookstack) | 12 comments Haha thanks! I bought...

-Happily Ever After (The Selection Series) so it’s like side characters and their stories after the book. I finished the Selection series which isn’t what I normally read, but I wanted to see how it ends.

-The Prisoner’s Wife - I’ve been wanting to buy this book for a while now. It takes time during WWII and the story sounds so interesting.

-The Nightingale- heard way too many good reviews so decided to buy it.

-The Far Side of Sea - Also sounds really interesting.

So those are the books I ordered! I can’t wait to get them! 😁

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (dandyjenn) | 66 comments Wow, that looks like a fantastic stack! I can't wait to hear how you like them!

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (dandyjenn) | 66 comments So... September is almost here and I hate to admit this, but I actually didn't get A Life Once Dream read this month like I had planned... So if you are still wanting to do a buddy read with it, we can read it for the first time together! That will be more fun anyway! 😉

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine Indorf | 11 comments Sarah's wrote: "Haha thanks! I bought...

-Happily Ever After (The Selection Series) so it’s like side characters and their stories after the book. I finished the Selection series which isn’t what I normally read,..."

Is Happily ever after a Susan May Warren series. If so I am up for a buddy read. I'm sure I have it somewhere!!

message 12: by Sarah's (new)

Sarah's Bookstack (sarahbookstack) | 12 comments Jennifer wrote: "So... September is almost here and I hate to admit this, but I actually didn't get A Life Once Dream read this month like I had planned... So if you are still wanting to do a buddy read with it, we..."

I honestly haven't bought the book yet. It's one of the books that I really want to get to, but I am currently unable to purchase any more books right now, and I'm waiting to order it soon. Sorry for the delay.

message 13: by Sarah's (new)

Sarah's Bookstack (sarahbookstack) | 12 comments Christine wrote: "Sarah's wrote: "Haha thanks! I bought...

-Happily Ever After (The Selection Series) so it’s like side characters and their stories after the book. I finished the Selection series which isn’t what ..."

Happily Ever After is written by Kiera Cass. And to be honest, it is not Christian Fiction. Nothing close to it. This book has swearing and some things I didn't like about it. This book is more of a fictional read. I read it cause I was told it's good, and it is an interesting setting and all. But I can't say it was my most favorite book.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (dandyjenn) | 66 comments That's totally fine! I understand completely! I honestly don't buy new books but for a few times a year. This one was a birthday gift from my sweet sister. ;) So please don't take this as me being pushy when I ask this, just wondering if you are planning on purchasing it later this month, or waiting until another time?

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (dandyjenn) | 66 comments Good to know about Happily Ever After! Thanks for your honesty :)

message 16: by Sarah's (new)

Sarah's Bookstack (sarahbookstack) | 12 comments Jennifer wrote: "That's totally fine! I understand completely! I honestly don't buy new books but for a few times a year. This one was a birthday gift from my sweet sister. ;) So please don't take this as me being ..."

I am hoping to buy it either at the end of this month or next month. If you want to, you can start without me because I honestly don't know when I will be able to buy it. I'm trying to save some money up for my college loans, and I have A LOT of books that I still haven't read on my shelf. So I can't make any promises yet. Sorry. I really do want to read it together!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (dandyjenn) | 66 comments That's alright! If you don't mind, we could go back to the plan of me going ahead and reading it now, then rereading it with you once you are able? That way, you won't feel rushed to buy it on my account, but we can still do a buddy read. I am really wanting to be able to read it with someone and discuss as we go along, but I'm not a super fast reader the first time I ever read a book. So maybe this would be better so I can keep up with you when you read it ;) Let me know if that sounds like a plan, or if that just doesn't really sound like fun at all!

message 18: by Sarah's (new)

Sarah's Bookstack (sarahbookstack) | 12 comments That sounds like a plan. I'll let you know when I get the book. Hopefully, it's soon. ;)

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (dandyjenn) | 66 comments Great, I'm so excited!!! :D

message 20: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments And sorry I haven’t finished the Butterfly and the Violin yet! 😣 I’ve gotten busier, and I’m also a mood reader, meaning I jump from one book to the other and read bits and pieces of each one. Have you read the sequel already? I honestly don’t mind if you read it first, and then I catch up with you later to discuss. Let me know what you think 😊

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (dandyjenn) | 66 comments I haven't started the sequel yet. I've partly been waiting for you, partly just enjoying other topics. I'm a mood reader in that I like many different genres/topics, but have to be in the mood for a specific topic to want to read certain books! Lately I've been enjoying more regency romances than WWII novels :) I might want to read it later this month though, or I might just keep reading others till you're ready for The Sparrow ;)

message 22: by Diana C. Kobylak (new)

Diana C. Kobylak | 34 comments Hi Jennifer and Charmain. I shall wait until you both are ready as well. The Butterfly and the Violin was such a great book. I could not wait to see what happened to the Butterfly in the end.
I also jump around as far as readings go and read a specific book depending on mood. I have several good books in the queue so overwhelm myself sometimes...And always adding more😋

I shall keep checking back until everyone is ready. In the meantime, I shall whittle away at the other books in my library😊

message 23: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments Jennifer and Diana, as I mentioned in the other thread, feel free to start on the Sparrow if you haven't already. I'm still reading the Butterfly but will catch up with you two. I'm glad to hear you liked the ending, Diana. :-) Glad you understand with jumping from one book to another! I haven't really been reading e-books or physical books lately, because it's been harder to find time to pick one up (I just need to make time). I've mainly been listening to audiobooks because I can listen in the car or when doing chores. :-) That's cool you found an audiobook of the Butterfly!