The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Recommendations requested for Romantic Suspense books with specific requirements. (Back with a new request). Thanks! 

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 37 comments Hi all,

A few years ago, I put in a recommendation request for romantic suspense books of a certain type in this group on behalf of a friend―she wasn't a GR member so couldn't put in a request herself―and got a tremendous response. Both my friend and I appreciated it a lot. Now I'm back―this time with a recommendation request for myself :-)

Let me start off by saying that I'm usually into golden-age mysteries, cozy mysteries, and cute, reasonably clean contemporary romances. However, occasionally―like now―I go through phases when I crave some thrill and excitement, lol, and venture out of my comfort zone into the world of romantic suspense :-)

Some of my favourite authors of this genre are: Toni Anderson, Sandra Brown, Catherine Coulter, Janie Crouch, Diana Duncan, Cindy Gerard, Rachel Grant, Linda Howard, Melinda Leigh, Judith McNaught, Karen Rose, Nora Roberts, and Norah Wilson.

These days I'm reading PVAD: FBI Series by Calle J. Brookes. (I got the first two books for free on Amazon).

Watching (PAVAD FBI Romantic Suspense, #1) by Calle J. Brookes Watching, Wanting (PAVAD FBI Romantic Suspense, #2) by Calle J. Brookes Wanting, Hunting (PAVAD FBI Romantic Suspense, #5) by Calle J. Brookes Hunting, and so on.

The stories are interesting, and I've become attached to the characters. The writing and editing could be better―which is why this author hasn't made it to my favourites―but other than that, I'm quite enjoying the books :-)

Anyway, if anyone could please recommend me some good contemporary romantic suspense books, I'd really appreciate it. Series are fine, but I'd prefer it if each book could be read as a standalone. Happy endings. No cliffhangers. Plus, nothing too dark and grim. Or dry and clinical. I should be able to care about the characters, and if there is a bit of humour here and there, so much the better. The books don't have to be particularly clean. As I said, I'm prepared to venture out of my comfort zone while reading this genre. Besides, if a scene gets too graphic for me, I can always skip it. Lol. Romance/suspense ratio should be balanced: 50/50 or 40/60.

Thank you :-)

message 2: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 2202 comments happy reading

message 3: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 37 comments Leena wrote: "happy reading"

Thank you :-)

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz | 431 comments Kendra Eliot’s Mercy Kilpatrick series.

message 5: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 37 comments Thank you, Liz, I'll check it out :-)

message 6: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 37 comments Recently read The Glass Sisters books: Thread of Fear Thread of Fear (The Glass Sisters, #1) by Laura Griffin and Whisper of Warning Whisper of Warning (The Glass Sisters, #2) by Laura Griffin by Laura Griffin.

I didn't enjoy the first book much, mainly because I couldn't feel the romance between the hero and the heroine. I did enjoy the second book though—both the romance and the suspense/mystery.

Currently reading—and enjoying—the Tracers series by this author.

My favourite so far would have to be: Snapped Snapped (Tracers #4) by Laura Griffin

message 7: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 37 comments Recently read one book from Allison Brennan's Predator Trilogy, two books from her Evil Trilogy, and the three books of her FBI Trilogy. 

Enjoyed them all, though my favourites would have to be: Fear No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #3) by Allison Brennan Fear No Evil and Fatal Secrets (FBI Trilogy, #2) by Allison Brennan Fatal Secrets. 

Currently reading—and enjoying—the Lucy Kincaid series by this author.

message 8: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 2202 comments have you tried Alafair Burke and Patricia Potter?

message 9: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 2202 comments zi like the Tracers series

message 10: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 37 comments Leena wrote: "have you tried Alafair Burke and Patricia Potter?"

Hi Leena,
No, I haven't, but I will check them out now. Thank you for telling me about them :-)

message 11: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 37 comments Leena wrote: "zi like the Tracers series"

Yes, I enjoyed it too. Looking forward to the next book in the series :-)

message 12: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 37 comments Hi,
I've been reading a lot of Romantic Suspense lately and thought I'd add to my favourite authors list in message 1:

Toni Anderson, Allison Brennan, Sandra Brown, Catherine Coulter, Janie Crouch, Pamela Clare, Diana Duncan, Cynthia Eden, Cindy Gerard, Rachel Grant, Linda Howard, Julie James, Melinda Leigh, Judith McNaught, Karen Rose, Nora Roberts, and Norah Wilson.

message 13: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 37 comments Leena wrote:
"have you tried Alafair Burke and Patricia Potter?"

Ramla Zareen wrote:
"Hi Leena,
No, I haven't, but I will check them out now. Thank you for telling me about them :-)"

Hi Leena,

I checked out all the Romantic Suspense recommendations I recently got and decided to start with Cold Target Cold Target by Patricia Potter by Patricia Potter.

Enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to reading more books by this author. Thanks again for telling me about her :-)

message 14: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 33 comments Sarah Stuart has written The Royal Command Series, which will pull you in.

Am I allowed to mention my own series - the Anna Davies Mystery Series?

message 15: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 37 comments Thank you, Rita, I'll check them out :-)

message 16: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 37 comments Hi,
I've been reading a lot of Romantic Suspense lately and thought I'd add to my favourite authors list in message 12:

Jami Alden, Toni Anderson, Allison Brennan, Anna Blakely, Sandra Brown, Catherine Coulter, Janie Crouch, Lisa Childs, Pamela Clare, Roxanne St. Claire, Diana Duncan, Cynthia Eden, Tee O'Fallon, Adrienne Giordano, Cindy Gerard, Rachel Grant, Linda Howard, Julie James, Julie Anne Lindsey, Melinda Leigh, Judith McNaught, Lori Matthews, Patricia Potter, Juno Rushdan, Karen Rose, Nora Roberts, Nichole Severn, and Norah Wilson.

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine Mathieu | 331 comments I read ca. 40 novels by Nora Roberts some 22+ years ago, but I only enjoyed two: "Sanctuary" and "Angels Fall".

Luanne Rice has a better writing style than Nora Roberts (try "Cloud Nine").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luanne_...

message 18: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 37 comments Christine wrote: "I read ca. 40 novels by Nora Roberts some 22+ years ago, but I only enjoyed two: "Sanctuary" and "Angels Fall".

Luanne Rice has a better writing style than Nora Roberts (try "Cloud Nine").

https:..."

It's interesting how two readers can perceive the same book or author differently :-) I've personally enjoyed many books by Nora Roberts including: The Witness, High Noon, The Search, Tribute, The Collector, Birthright, The Obsession, Sanctuary, and several others. I have Angels Fall. I'm saving it for later to read it as a special treat. (A quirk I have. Lol.) I also enjoyed some of her Contemporary Romances. For example: The Bride Quartet Series. But I mainly like her for her Romantic Suspense books. I will check out Luanne Rice. Thank you :-)