2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
This topic is about Hour of Need
Hour of Need > Question Q

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6267 comments Mod
Any other topics you’d like to discuss? Your overall opinion of the story?

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1037 comments Despite one or two issues, I enjoyed the suspense and the romance. I look forward to reading the next one about Hannah and the detective. Their bickering is cute.

message 3: by Christina T (last edited Jul 27, 2020 04:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christina T (crysteena73) | 109 comments I also enjoyed this book but rated it 3.5 stars rather than anything higher. My reasons all had to do with Ellie and sometimes the writing sounded too much like a Soap Opera. Meaning in our US soaps the characters often spend a few minutes in a scene to talk to themselves in a monologue outlying what they are thinking. There are several passages where Ellie (and even some of Grant as well) where there are literally full paragraphs of questions they are mentally asking themselves. They all have to do with them questioning their abilities, decisions, actions, etc.

The first one I noticed was one of Ellie's. The barrage of self doubt questions made her seem weaker than I wanted her to be. If she had, at that point, realized she was way out of her depth and confided in Grant I may have felt she was only human and needed someone more knowledgeable to help her. She did not confide in Grant at that point which irritated me and drove her slightly closer to the TSTL point acting as if she were a big girl and could handle it all. Ellie didn't have the necessary skills to deal with carjacking, murder, and potential kidnapping. Knocking down a kitchen wall is about as skilled as Ellie was yet she thought she could handle this whole situation. Ugh.

Despite those I'll read the next book and the next. I'm looking forward to the rest of the family's stories.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1037 comments Christina T wrote: "There are several passages where Ellie (and even some of Grant as well) where there are literally full paragraphs of questions they are mentally asking themselves.

Yes, this type of repetitive internal musing is completely redundant and slows the pacing. Once is enough.

Robin (robinmy) | 1419 comments I liked the story but didn't love it. I am interested in the cop who is the hero of the next book.

Did anyone think it was strange that Lindsay was found hanging from a tree in the clearing of the woods, but the cops didn't find any footprints around the scene? There were six or seven people at this clearing when Lindsay died. Surely they left some evidence behind.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1037 comments Robin wrote: "here were six or seven people at this clearing when Lindsay died. Surely they left some evidence behind.

The cops seem to have made up their minds that Lindsay committed suicide and didn't really look any further.

The internal musings always bore me. I listened to the book so it’s easy to zone out when these passages get going.

Robin, that’s a great point. To Lauren’s, they were so committed to suicide, the forensic analysis was probably minimal.

I enjoyed the story, beyond just liking it. The narrator wasn’t my favorite but she did a good job overall. And, the tension was pretty high throughout. I’m also looking forward to Hannah and McNamara. I like her, a lot, and he’s an enigma at this point.

Thank you, everyone! This was a robust discussion.

Christina T (crysteena73) | 109 comments I'm going to listen to the next one and see which why I like better.

Thank you once again for taking care of our discussion questions. I loved seeing everyone's views. It's funny how many views are similar.

You’re welcome and it was unusual that we all saw so much the same way, particularly Ellie!

message 11: by Sharon (last edited Jul 29, 2020 01:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2020 comments I liked this story. The reason I didn't love it is because I read a couple of the Morgan Dane books. I love them, and the characters are more my type. I can tell that Leigh's writing style has improved or changed since this book.

I'm looking forward to the next one. If I remember correctly, Brody appears in a couple of the Morgan Dane books.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1037 comments Jonetta wrote: "To Lauren’s, they were so committed to suicide, the forensic analysis was probably minimal."

Yes, they probably reasoned that a suicide didn't warrant too much investment in the forensics.

Sharon wrote: "I liked this story. The reason I didn't love it is because I read a couple of the Morgan Dane books. I love them, and the characters are more my type. I can tell that Leigh's writing style has impr..."

You’ve made me more excited about that series!

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 856 comments I really loved this book. I couldn't put it down once I started it. I thought the suspense was great. The romance was lukewarm for me. Okay but not great. I'm really looking forward to the next book.

I also wondered why the police didn't look further into whether this was a suicide or not.