2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
This topic is about Hour of Need
Hour of Need > Question A

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6546 comments Mod
The story begins with Lee and Kate’s murder as seen through his eyes. Your thoughts about that scene and it being written from Lee’s point of view?

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1063 comments This scene pulled me right into the story. Lee's POV and his apparent guilt set up the red herring. It was a bit too obvious to me and I suspected that it was Kate who had done something not Lee.

The fact that the killer shot Lee immediately, but questioned Kate also seemed to confirm this suspicion.

Christina T (crysteena73) | 109 comments I agree this opening scene drew me in. Suspense books often do start like this, with a murder, but for some reason it impacted me a bit more than usual. I really wanted them to be saved.

In many cases where the murder takes place on the first page, so to speak, and we're reading from the victim's POV, the scene tends to be fairly short and more focused on the plight of the victim. We rarely get this much insight into the lives of the victims. It made me more sympathetic towards them and the family. I felt almost like I was losing two characters I'd known for awhile.

I completely missed the implications of Kate being killed last and interrogated right before. Because it was being told from Lee's POV and he was dying the time spent questioning Kate could have been longer but it felt so short that I blew right over it. Had I picked that up I may have realized Kate was the intended target all along but found myself surprised by it all instead.

Wow, I missed that important clue, too.

It’s a powerful scene, especially because it’s written from Lee’s point of view. In that short time, I felt a connection and intimacy to Lee & Kate that sustained itself through the end of the book. If that was the author’s intent, well done.

Christina T (crysteena73) | 109 comments It was well done of Leigh. I wasn't super fond of some of the other writing decisions she did but this one worked really well.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1063 comments Christina T wrote: "It was well done of Leigh. I wasn't super fond of some of the other writing decisions she did but this one worked really well."

Ditto!

Robin (robinmy) | 1494 comments The author certainly made us care about Lee and Kate right from the start. It's very unusual that we have so much insight on the victims from the start.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1752 comments Having the scene from Lee's POV was both devastating and riveting. I also missed the point that Kate was interrogated before he shot her.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2146 comments I loved this set up. I didn't catch Kate being the reason for the murders. I thought that Lee's wasn't an instant kill shot because he was made to watch Kate's murder.

I'm going to go back and read it again.

I had the book on kindle, too, and also re-read it😏

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1752 comments I got tired of trying to read the paperback in the near dark and bought the e-book.

😏

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 873 comments I had both the ebook and audio (thank you KU) and this scene was so powerful for me. Listening to Lee talk about what was happening...Wow! Have to admit, I didn't catch that this was all about Kate.

This book had me from that first scene!