English Mysteries Club discussion

Murder in the Mill-Race (Robert MacDonald #37)
This topic is about Murder in the Mill-Race
General Archive - current > August 2020 - Murder in the Mill-Race: A Devon Mystery by E.C.R. Lorac

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) | 1865 comments Mod
Our poll is now closed, and here is the thread to discuss our golden age mystery for August. It is Murder in the Mill-Race: A Devon Mystery by E.C.R. Lorac.

Happy reading everyone!

message 2: by Bionic Jean (new)

So who's starting this one tomorrow? I confess I had never heard of E.C.R. Lorac!

Rosemarie | 203 comments I am in for this one!

Michaela | 195 comments I´ll be reading this! I recently read Fell Murder and found it very good, esp. the atmosphere and the characterization of the people. I hope this one will meet my expectations! :)

message 5: by Bionic Jean (new)

YAY! Didn't you nominate it, Michaela?

Michaela | 195 comments Bionic Jean wrote: "YAY! Didn't you nominate it, Michaela?"

Yes! :)

message 7: by Bionic Jean (new)

:)

France-Andrée (iphigenie72) | 383 comments I’ll be reading it, haven’t heard of the author either.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I plan on reading it. I have never heard of the offer before either.

Pamela (bibliohound) | 19 comments I'll be reading this, starting in a couple of days when I've finished some overrunning July books! Like Michaela, I recently read Fell Murder and enjoyed it, so looking forward to more from Lorac.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) I hope it’s ok to join the group and dive in, I see several familiar names from other groups.

I found Lorac through another group’s nomination for a monthly read - she wasn’t chosen but I enjoyed her style very much. I ordered this book and found your group reading it - after a couple stinkers (to me, GA authors I just can’t get into), I wanted to read a surefire mystery!

message 12: by Gillian (new) - added it

Gillian Young | 1 comments I've been an inactive member for ages but I'm excited to join in this month!

message 13: by France-Andrée (last edited Aug 05, 2020 07:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

France-Andrée (iphigenie72) | 383 comments I've finished it and of the books we've been reading since the relaunch this is my favorite. I hadn't realized that it was book no 37 in the series, but the way it's structured it could have been no 1, you don't feel like you are stepping in the middle of a series. We start my being introduce to the newcomers in the village and the detectives enter only after the crime. I had who the killer was, but it was a reveal like "I had it!!!", you know the joyous one when you find you are clever after all :P.

Can't wait to see it other people will like it as much as I. I'm definitely going to read more in this series, the earliest I can find in ebooks is Bats in the Belfry (no 13) and it's Kobo Plus so I see that one not too far in my future (I hope, lots of books on my schedule).

Rosemarie | 203 comments I've just finished it and really liked it too. The author is good at describing the setting, especially her descriptions of nature.
It was a good mystery too. Macdonald and Reeves are a likable, and intelligent pair of detectives.

I will be reading other books by this author, if I can get them from the library.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) I really enjoyed this, Lorac has become one of my favorite GA mystery writers - I’ve read four of her reissued books, and been impressed and entertained by them all. As they are being gradually reissued out of order, I’m glad each Inspector Macdonald case can be read as a stand-alone mystery. I enjoyed Murder by Matchlight and Bats in the Belfry: A London Mystery, both set in wartime London, and was impressed that her mysteries set in rural villages, like this one, Fell Murder, and Fire in the Thatch: A Devon Mystery were just as well-written, evocative and atmospheric. She was very versatile, I will keep looking for her books.

Pamela Mclaren | 290 comments I started just two days ago and am only halfway through the book but I have to agree that while this is in the middle of the series, it doesn't feel like it.

I like how Lorac got into the story and how there isn't that build up that "here comes the murder!" And there is a subtly to the writing.
The most outrageous character, and not really, is the murder victim herself. Can't wait to read further and see how it all ends — and of course, pick up another Lorac book.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) I always find myself drawn in with her books, as you say, subtle, good writing!

Pamela (bibliohound) | 19 comments I really enjoyed this. I like the way Lorac can bring the setting to life without getting bogged down with long passages of description. She is very skilful at balancing plot, setting and characters. That village was certainly a menacing place.

Macdonald is my kind of detective, intelligent and thoughtful, and not easily thrown off track. I'm definitely going to read more by Lorac.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm just starting this one. Looking forward to reading it. I've never read this author before.

message 20: by Michaela (last edited Aug 17, 2020 08:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michaela | 195 comments I finished it today and really liked it. The description of the "innocent" village which holds secrets and whose people keep quiet over certain things is very good. Macdonald has his own way of finding out about the crime. After having read Fell Murder before, I also want to try others by Lorac.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading other books by her. I agree with other posts about her writing, as well as MacDonald and Reeves

message 22: by Bionic Jean (new)

It's odd that they're reissuing them out of order Susan! Or maybe not ... perhaps they are reissuing them starting with the most popular ones (by past sales figures) and then will stop when the demand decreases.

message 23: by Bionic Jean (new)

France-Andrée, I think it helps that the middle ones can be read as standalones - even number 37! Good choice :)

France-Andrée (iphigenie72) | 383 comments I’ve read Bats in the Belfry (no 13) and that one is very good too. So glad I’ve discovered this author.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) France-Andrée wrote: "I’ve read Bats in the Belfry (no 13) and that one is very good too. So glad I’ve discovered this author."

Oh, I loved that one! Rereading it in October for Halloween, I want to slow down and appreciate it on my second read.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) Bionic Jean wrote: "It's odd that they're reissuing them out of order Susan! Or maybe not ... perhaps they are reissuing them starting with the most popular ones (by past sales figures) and then will stop when the dem..."

That makes sense, especially as I see they’ve put out a few ebooks of other titles, I assume in response to reader reaction. I’ll be glad for any of her titles I can get!

message 27: by Elizabeth A.G. (last edited Aug 26, 2020 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elizabeth A.G. | 42 comments Just finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had not heard of E.C.R. Lorac before but will be reading more of her books. Great story that describes this isolated country village with its long-time inhabitants' attitudes ("Never make trouble in the village") about privacy, their protective behavior toward one of their own, and their suspicions of any new-comers to the village. Lorac's descriptions of this part of the country are enticing in spite of the crime committed there. Lorac also puts forth the idea that the truth of things can be "overlooked" and the idea that silence and secrets can be maintained when self-interest is threatened or out of fear of exposure. The character of Sister Monica is one of great force and she dominates over everyone in the village. The characters of Chief Inspector Macdonald and Detective Inspector Reeves pick up the case in a less abrasive manner than Sergeant Peel and it is interesting to read how they piece things together in their calm, thoughtful manner that permits the native residents to speak more freely. I didn't realize this is part of her "Robert Macdonald" series that includes about 45 books!!

Pamela Mclaren | 290 comments I agree, Elizabeth. This was a good book to read and I've already downloaded four more on my Kindle.

I was quite intrigued by Lorac's development of the village and the interactions of the individuals regarding Sister Monica. It seems hard to believe that an individual would have such control over people but then again, when this book was written — and in a village situation, which I've never experienced — its not surprising.

Ellen | 158 comments I read this book yesterday and definitely plan to read more from this author. I found her equally good at describing scene and character.

message 30: by Bionic Jean (new)

Archiving this read, but leaving the thread open for discussion.