YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
This topic is about Devolution
BUDDY READ: Horror/Thriller > Devolution by Max Brooks --> Starting August 14th, 2020

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments As the ash and chaos from Mount Rainier's eruption swirled and finally settled, the story of the Greenloop massacre has passed unnoticed, unexamined . . . until now.

But the journals of resident Kate Holland, recovered from the town's bloody wreckage, capture a tale too harrowing--and too earth-shattering in its implications--to be forgotten.

In these pages, Max Brooks brings Kate's extraordinary account to light for the first time, faithfully reproducing her words alongside his own extensive investigations into the massacre and the legendary beasts behind it.

Kate's is a tale of unexpected strength and resilience, of humanity's defiance in the face of a terrible predator's gaze, and inevitably, of savagery and death.

Yet it is also far more than that.

Because if what Kate Holland saw in those days is real, then we must accept the impossible. We must accept that the creature known as Bigfoot walks among us--and that it is a beast of terrible strength and ferocity.

Part survival narrative, part bloody horror tale, part scientific journey into the boundaries between truth and fiction, this is a Bigfoot story as only Max Brooks could chronicle it--and like none you've ever read before.

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 8257 comments Ch 5 (view spoiler)

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 8257 comments Ch 12 (view spoiler)

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 8257 comments Ch 22 (view spoiler)

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 8257 comments Finished (view spoiler)

message 6: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments I may start this today or tomorrow

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 8257 comments Aly wrote: "I may start this today or tomorrow"

I found it pretty decent. The beginning had a pretty slow buildup though but that definitely changed as the book went on!!

message 8: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments Good to know!

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Aly, I've got a little behind with stuff but if you're up for reading this too I should be able to get to it early tomorrow. It's one I've been meaning to read.

message 10: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments I'm planning on starting in about half an hour and I definitely won't finish until tomorrow so great timing

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch3. Fairly standard opening with our writer setting us up for Kate’s journals. Hints of potential issues, but nothing that would have you running scared. I kind of hope it happens soon, as waiting for the horror is often worse!

message 12: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments ❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "Ch 5 [spoilers removed]"

No kidding! (view spoiler)

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 8257 comments Aly wrote: "❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "Ch 5 [spoilers removed]"

No kidding! [spoilers removed]"

Aly wrote: "ch 5 reply [spoilers removed]"

That’s why I love dystopias and apocalyptic reads, I feel like I actually learn things 😂

message 14: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch3. Fairly standard opening with our writer setting us up for Kate’s journals. Hints of potential issues, but nothing that would have you running scared. I kind of hope it happens soon, as w..."

Yeah things happen quickly

message 15: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments ch 7 (view spoiler)

message 16: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments ❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "Ch 12 [spoilers removed]"

So true! (view spoiler)

message 17: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments ch 13 (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch5. You’re right...came quicker than I expected! Switching to the external views alerts us to what might be happening, but now I’m waiting for them to become aware of it.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch9. And there it is...evidence is hard to ignore!

Karen Barber | 10682 comments ❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "Ch 5 [spoilers removed]"

I thought the comment about them wanting the rural life while having access to all the mod-cons said it all really.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Aly wrote: "ch 7 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch14. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch21. Although there’s these awful events, I’m liking the little glimmers of hope with the crops growing.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Up to ch23. So much for hope...brutal!

Karen Barber | 10682 comments ❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "Ch 22 [spoilers removed]"

There were some strange things about her recording of the events - she noted things that I was quite surprised by.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments ❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "Finished [spoilers removed]"

Agreed - it was dark, but not in a way that I found off-putting.

Karen Barber | 10682 comments Finished. Review on home page. (view spoiler)

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 8257 comments Karen wrote: "Finished. Review on home page. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments Karen wrote: "❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "Ch 5 [spoilers removed]"

I thought the comment about them wanting the rural life while having access to all the mod-cons said it all really."

No kidding!

message 30: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments Karen wrote: "Aly wrote: "ch 7 [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

Me too!

message 31: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch14. [spoilers removed]"

I thought the same thing. (view spoiler)

message 32: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments ch 21 (view spoiler)

message 33: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch21. Although there’s these awful events, I’m liking the little glimmers of hope with the crops growing."

Yes true

message 34: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments ❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "Ch 22 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch23. So much for hope...brutal!"

Very sad!

message 36: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments finished (view spoiler) I thought this was interesting and I liked the interviews to round out the story.

message 37: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments ❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "Finished [spoilers removed]"

I haven't read WWZ but now I think I will! We should look for more urban legend books to buddy!

message 38: by Aly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10072 comments Karen wrote: "Finished. Review on home page. [spoilers removed]"

Oh that's (view spoiler)

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 8257 comments Aly wrote: "❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "Finished [spoilers removed]"

I haven't read WWZ but now I think I will! We should look for more urban legend books to buddy!"

I'd be down if you find any, I love urban legends. WWZ was told in the same type of fashion as this but rather than one narrator there are many telling their stories. I liked that about this one more because even though it is also a retelling, it felt more present and action packed in the moment, plus there was only one person telling their story which made it way less confusing.

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 8257 comments Aly wrote: "finished What a crazy ending! P

And they..."

Aly wrote: "finished What a crazy ending! Pretty much all the humans died, in fact who else may be alive besides Kate? I thought they said there may have been another missing person.
And they killed a bunch..."

Glad you enjoyed it. I really had no clue what to expect going in to this one and I was pleasantly surprised. Plus the ending.... I mean damn, it went in a direction I never saw coming. (view spoiler)