Albany Public Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2020 Summer Reading Challenge > 2020 SRC: Week 5 Another Life

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 295 comments Mod
Welcome to Week 5! It's hard to believe we are halfway through this year's summer reading challenge.

This week's list is a selection of biographies and memoirs that we hope you enjoy.

Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets & Advice for Living Your Best Life by Ali Wong
Open Book by Jessica Simpson
Uncanny Valley by Anna Wiener
Untamed by Glennon Doyle
In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado
Know My Name by Chanel Miller
Resistance: A Songwriter's Story of Hope, Change, and Courage by Tori Amos
I'm Your Huckleberry by Val Kilmer
More Than Love: An Intimate Portrait of My Mother, Natalie Wood by Natasha Gregson Wagner
More Myself: A Journey by Conor Knighton
Hollywood Park by Mikel Jollett
Stray: A Memoir by Stephanie Danler
All Boys Aren't Blue by George M. Johnson
The Rural Diaries: Love, Livestock, and Big Life Lessons Down on Mischief Farm by Hilarie Burton
Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mother's Will to Survive by Stephanie Land
The Year of the Monkey by Patti Smith
Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman
Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds by David Goggins
An Age of License by Lucy Knisley

You can find this titles on Overdrive and Hoopla

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie  (valtherizzle) | 25 comments I finished Haunt of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin and Evicted by Matthew Desmond

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 54 comments I just finished Northanger Abbey - more in tune with last week's theme, though!

message 4: by Jaybee (new)

Jaybee | 35 comments I finished So You Want to Talk About Race last night and today I read Attica Locke's latest book, Heaven, My Home. In honor of this week's theme I'm going to read The Beauty in Breaking.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate | 295 comments Mod
Jaybee wrote: "I finished So You Want to Talk About Race last night and today I read Attica Locke's latest book, Heaven, My Home. In honor of this week's theme I'm going to read The Beauty in Breaking."

I have logged all the books post up to this point. Off to a great start!

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz | 11 comments I just finished “the one: a novel” by John Marrs. Such a page turner!!

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige (pabarnum) | 13 comments Just finished Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid.

message 8: by Diana (last edited Jul 22, 2020 04:51AM) (new)

Diana | 73 comments This week I finished Interview with the Vixen and Burn Our Bodies Down. Thanks to the memoir list here, I'm considering a reread of In the Dream House: A Memoir--maybe my favorite read from last year.

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 22 comments I’ve continued to stick with the Dear America series and just finished both A Light in the Storm, and Dreams in the Golden Country.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate | 295 comments Mod
I have add your books!

message 11: by Abi (last edited Jul 22, 2020 10:33AM) (new)

Abi (foureyedabi) | 75 comments Just finished The Obelisk Gate and I'm going to start Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen right now :) I've been meaning to read In the Dream House: A Memoir so maybe I'll pick that up next

I can't remember if I mentioned before that I finished The Water Dancer during week 1 or 2..... I went through the threads but couldn't find it!

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate | 295 comments Mod
Abi wrote: "Just finished The Obelisk Gate and I'm going to start Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen right now :) I've been meaning to read [book:In the Dream House:..."

@Abi No worries. I added both books!

message 13: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (readersbeadvised) | 79 comments Mod
Diana wrote: "This week I finished Interview with the Vixen and Burn Our Bodies Down. Thanks to the memoir list here, I'm considering a reread of [book:In the Dream House: A Memoi..."

That book (Burn our Bodies Down)! What a completely twisted and awesome story!

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 54 comments I finished Network Effect, a great addition to the Murderbot storyline!

message 15: by Diana (new)

Diana | 73 comments Alicia, it really was! I loved Wilder Girls, but Burn Our Bodies Down upped the ante even further :D

message 16: by Kate (new)

Kate | 295 comments Mod
@Kathleen I added your book. I agree with you about Network Effect. I can't wait for the next book to come out!

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 189 comments Finished The Big Thirst: The Marvels, Mysteries & Madness Shaping the New Era of Water. What a great book! Informative and entertaining. Sobering about how pretty much the entire world has ignored water issues over the past century, but uplifting in that there are achievable solutions.

message 18: by Mayra (new)

Mayra | 22 comments This week I finished Feels like home and Home in Carolina by Sheryl Woods I also read The Ride of a Lifetime by Robert Iger

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate | 295 comments Mod
@ Susan and @ Mayra I have added your books!

message 20: by Valerie (new)

Valerie  (valtherizzle) | 25 comments Finished two more books this week! A Simple Plan by Scott Smith and A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow

message 21: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 210 comments Completed Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, & Advice for Living Your Best Life today. Audiobook read by the author (afterward written and read by her husband, Justin Hakuta).

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen (irisira) | 27 comments Finished Tana French’s The Witch Elm this morning.

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul R | 46 comments Hi, I finally finished How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi. It was a very powerful book that even fits this week's category. I also finished three Kiwi authors' books. New Zealand continues to fascinate me. Matched on Maui by Kris Pearson, The Language of Wolf by Sofia Grey, and Trust Your Heart by Tracey Alvarez were all moving and fun reads. I have really enjoyed the first and third authors a lot, and read many of their works. They have excellent editing as it often the case from New Zealand and Australia.

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 22 comments I finished Blackthorn Manor Haunting and Rage of Aquarius this week.

message 25: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 22 comments Oh i also finished Seeds of Hope, another Dear America book!

message 26: by Diana (new)

Diana | 73 comments Jen wrote: "Finished Tana French’s The Witch Elm this morning."

What did you think, Jen? I liked it (read it through almost in one sitting), but in some ways it also felt kind of like Tana French Does Tana French.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahkuperman) | 16 comments I finished Recursion by Blake Crouch. I felt it really engaged me with the discussion of memory being all of life. The time travel aspect was well done.
Great Suggestion from Kate.

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 189 comments Jen wrote: "Finished Tana French’s The Witch Elm this morning."
I just started Kendi's book this weekend. I hate to say that I have found other books on this topic to be underwhelming, merely repeating stuff I already know, but so far he seems to bring a more personal side to it, so I am enjoying it more than I thought I would.

message 29: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra C | 135 comments Mod
I have added all the books above!

@Sarah, I also read and love Recursion. Have you read his other book, Dark Matter? A definitely top ten favorite of mine.

message 30: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodysquadere) | 39 comments I finished “White Fragility” last night. Might not come close to this category but that’s where I am at. Tough reading, tough topic. Glad I read it and glad I purchased 10 copies for my library.

message 31: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra C | 135 comments Mod
@Jody, I have entered your book!

message 32: by Paul (new)

Paul R | 46 comments July 6 at 1:01 pm I added some books to my read list on Week 5. I have not seen that Kate has added them to my read list or any other persons since 7-24-20. Just wanted to check on this. I will post to the current week as well,

message 33: by Kate (new)

Kate | 295 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "July 6 at 1:01 pm I added some books to my read list on Week 5. I have not seen that Kate has added them to my read list or any other persons since 7-24-20. Just wanted to check on this. I will pos..."

@ Paul. You are all set

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 189 comments Finished Know My Name, written by Brock Turner's victim. What a powerful book. I had heard good things. Thanks for the push to get me to read it.

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate | 295 comments Mod
Added your book!

message 36: by Rich (new)

Rich Pearson-strain (richpearson-strain) | 36 comments For week 5 I read Clay’s Ark (Book 3 in the Patternist series) by Octavia Butler. I’m not sure where I stand on this one. Unlike the first two, which were a unique dose of fantasy, historical fiction and psychological drama, this third one played more like a taught thriller, with a truly harrowing ending unlike anything I’ve read in some time. It also had little to do with the first two, but supposedly will tie into the fourth and final book. I’d definitely recommend it, but would suggest some of Butler’s other books first, which are more accessible.

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate | 295 comments Mod
@ Rich I have added your book!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.