Play Book Tag discussion

The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11
This topic is about The Only Plane in the Sky
July 2020: Other Books > The Only Plane in the Sky - Garrett Graff - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 822 comments This book is an oral history of 9/11. It is comprised of hundreds of interviews relayed by the people who lived through this event. The author used both existing interviews and ones he did himself. This format made the stories personal and show fear, bravery and how much was unknown at the time. Views of those in the targeted buildings are told, as well as, messages from passengers on hijacked planes. Words from responders who knew that may not come out after they went in burning buildings are included. It is also interesting that the author added what was happening in the White House and on Air Force One with the president.

Graff creates a full picture of the day. It begins with a beautiful blue sky in New York. Then so many unimaginable things happen. The air is soon filled with smoke, ash and debris. Many heroes are highlighted, but so are losses. This book is well researched and organized. The interviews are emotional and I will remember them for a long time.

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1225 comments I read this book earlier this year and it really took me right back to those early days.

I gave this 5 stars as well.

message 3: by Nicole R (last edited Jul 19, 2020 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7783 comments I definitely want to get to this book. Perhaps in September for the 19th anniversary of 9/11. Hard to believe it has been so long! I also want to read The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland.

Maybe the September tag will favor those two books!

message 4: by Rose (new)

Rose W | 29 comments Nicole R wrote: "I definitely want to get to this book. Perhaps in September for the 19th anniversary of 9/11. Hard to believe it has been so long! I also want to read [book:The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in ..."

The Day the World Came to Town is a great book! I highly recommend the book AND the musical. Both were amazing and uplifting even given the tragedy going on.