Celebrity Book Club discussion

What If It's Us > Hey guys! Not to go too quickly or anything, but the live show is fast approaching and so we decided to choose our August book in advance so you guys could have some time to read it! We've chosen What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera!

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by sukhroopreads (new)

sukhroopreads (sukhroopandbooks) | 101 comments Mod
What do you guys think?

message 2: by Ana (new)

Ana K P (indeliblefaith) | 57 comments lmaooo I had once attempted to start the book, but it didnt really hold my attention - maybe this book club will be the excuse I have to pick it up once more.

PS: It's great that we already have a book for next month! btw, how exactly is the next book chosen? or a better question would be- how will the future ones be chosen?

message 3: by sukhroopreads (new)

@Ava Thanks! Yeah, we want to give everyone as much time as possible! I know right?!? I'm not normally into meet-cutes, but I mean it is Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera!

@Kat Lol that's amazing! We love when we can do that! I was lucky that my library had it! (although my library also doesn't have a lot of other popular books)

message 4: by sukhroopreads (new)

@Ana Hopefully the second chance helps you get interested in the book! If not, it's not like we're doing this book club to discuss positive thoughts on the book! We're discussing thoughts, negative or otherwise! Oh thanks! Great question! So the last two books have been chosen by hosts - so, I chose SLAY, Erik chose What If It's Us. I think we're going to continue with every other host, and then maybe extend it to you guys and ask on Twitter which book you'd want to read!

message 5: by sukhroopreads (new)

Yay! That's what I love about 6 hosts, that we all have different favorite genres and tastes, which then extends to everyone because theoretically there should be one out of six that they're interested in!

message 6: by sukhroopreads (new)

Lol thanks! It really just happened that way, because when this book club was started, it was just Erik and I, and I asked him if SLAY was okay. He, being Erik, agreed, and then said we should ask other Booktubers if they want to be a part of this! And since StreamYard has a six Youtuber limit, we asked four other Youtubers we liked, and that's how we got Nidhi, Monae, Nat, and Troy!

message 7: by sukhroopreads (new)

I love diversifying my reading!

message 8: by Ana (new)

Ana K P (indeliblefaith) | 57 comments @Sukhroop ooh that's a good idea! and yeah, twitter polls certainly would be a fun way to choose between books as well.

I'm always up for a new kind of book, but lmao I'm definitely not going to sugar coat it if I end up not enjoying a book :P

message 9: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 8 comments Oh I read this one already. And I have a lot of feelings about it that might be controversial. Can’t wait for the live show!

message 10: by Ana (new)

Ana K P (indeliblefaith) | 57 comments also, uh there's a lot of members here, and I just realised I dont know who the hosts are apart from Sukhroop and Erik lol

someone enlighten me pls xD

message 11: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads Hi! I’m a host of this book club as well and I’m so excited to discuss Slay with you! :)

message 12: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads Also all the channels of the hosts are on the book club home page if you want to check them out!

message 13: by sukhroopreads (new)

@Ilsen Oooh we love controversial opinions! Hopefully we can choose a book next time you haven't read, but so happy you're still joining us! (and I have a feeling at least one of the hosts, unlike with SLAY, will not like this book)

@Ana Thanks! Yeah, I don't yet know how exactly we'd do the poll, but I guess we still have a couple months until we have to think about it! Yes don't sugercoat anything! We want honest discussion! If you didn't like the book then please say it in the chat! I guarantee at least one of us will agree or at least see where you're coming from!

message 14: by Ana (new)

Ana K P (indeliblefaith) | 57 comments nice to meet ya! @Troy :D

message 15: by Ana (new)

Ana K P (indeliblefaith) | 57 comments ahh yess, the homepage... let's see if I can navigate it on the phone lol

message 16: by sukhroopreads (new)

@Ana so sorry! As Troy said, all channel links are on the home page bio. I think you have to click the more button to see them! But there's Nidhi from nidhireddyreads, Troy from Troy Reads, Monae from Life as Monae, and Nat from ThisIs Nat'sNook!

message 17: by sukhroopreads (new)

Lol Goodreads made such an aesthetic home page I'm so happy with it! (I really wish I could write this in a more sarcastic way)

message 18: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads Omg I thought you were being serious for a second @Sukhroopandbooks because the Goodreads layout... 😳💀

message 19: by sukhroopreads (new)

imagine if I was being serious... I would have to take some time to meditate and ask where old Sukhroop went lol

Yay Ava! I love all of their channels, they're all way better creators than mine, and I'm so happy this book club helped you find them!

message 20: by Ana (new)

Ana K P (indeliblefaith) | 57 comments @Sukhroop yess I'm a very harsh reviewer that way, so no worries about not being honest about a book review lol

PS: the sarcasm oozes out dw :P

message 21: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads Awww thanks so much Ava!!! I love this collaboration!! :)

message 22: by sukhroopreads (new)

So happy you joined us! Aww thanks! Every host is having such a fun time with it, and I literally cannot WAIT for the live show!

message 23: by sukhroopreads (new)

Yes Ana we love to see it! And lol I thank you for the compliment, I have been working a lot on my sarcasm on the internet (I haven't)

Yes Troy I never thought in a million years that when I started my channel I would be able to interact, let alone start a book club, with some of my favorite creators, but I mean here we are!

message 24: by Ana (new)

Ana K P (indeliblefaith) | 57 comments @troy lmaooo I doubt @sukhroop can actually make a statement about Goodreads without pointing out one of its deficiencies lol

I'm definitely gonna have to check out all of your channels on the homepage - one can never have too little bookish people to watch on youtube lol

message 25: by sukhroopreads (new)

@Ana lol you're so right! I mean, the most popular video on my channel IS a Goodreads rant, so... Yay that's amazing Ana!

message 26: by sukhroopreads (new)

@Ava Yeah I tried to start a book club at school but like nobody reads in my school so... And lol (*sukhroop with another goodreads statement), I love how, just like Twitter, GR loads the messages right when they come in, without us ever having to refresh at all!

message 27: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads @Ana you’re right there are never too many channels to watch! :)

message 28: by Ana (new)

Ana K P (indeliblefaith) | 57 comments @Ava I feel you! I think it was because no one at school read as much as I did? or the same things I was interested in?
never thought I'd join a book club even when I joined goodreads tbh, mainly because I was a little apprehensive as to how it would go - but I'm really having a fun time here so far, interacting with all of yall!! ^^

message 29: by sukhroopreads (new)

@Troy I so agree with you! There can never be too much bookish fun on the internet!

message 30: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads Oop well I’ve been having to refresh XD

message 31: by Ana (new)

Ana K P (indeliblefaith) | 57 comments ugh refreshing is a pain, especially on mobile apps

message 32: by sukhroopreads (new)

@Ava We're still trying to figure it out, but basically there will be a set up premiere on Troy's channel, and it'll basically function like a video premiere, but instead a live show! And i know it'll be fun!

@Ana Yay I'm so happy that you decided to join the book club! It's been so much fun having you here! And I definitely feel you with the school thing!

@Troy Isn't my online sarcasm just amazing?

message 33: by sukhroopreads (new)

@Ana Oh I feel so bad! It's already annoying on my laptop, can't imagine having to refresh on the phone!

message 34: by sukhroopreads (new)

And I just love it that after not even posting that question an hour ago, we have 45 messages! FOURTY FIVE!

message 35: by Troy_Reads (new)

Troy_Reads Wait what online?

message 36: by Ana (new)

Ana K P (indeliblefaith) | 57 comments @Sukhroop this book club has been great! I keep leaving detailed comments whenever I update my reading process on Goodreads in the hopes someone will interact, but now that there's a book club I'm a part of, (and interaction IS the end goal after reading a book), I am definitely enjoying it!!!

message 37: by sukhroopreads (new)

@Ava I literally one have two friends in school, sometimes three, that I can talk books with! Lol when I found the Booktube community I had to literally take a moment, because I knew it was going to become so important for me! And I'm so happy that you're enjoying being in this book club!

message 38: by sukhroopreads (new)

@Ana YES interaction! Your comment literally just sent me chills. It's so lonely reading a book and having nobody to talk to about it! And the beautiful thing about a book club is that the entire point is to read and interact with other readers! It's beautiful!

message 39: by sukhroopreads (new)

Woah on my laptop there are 2 pages of this now! WHAT?!? (first of all GR is trash for that, but we already knew I'd say that)

message 40: by sukhroopreads (new)

@Ava I know, it's amazing! That's a lot of comments! And yeah it is so annoying!

message 41: by sukhroopreads (new)

Alright guys I have to leave! (might be because of my little brother) This was so much fun! I can't wait to talk with you guys later!

message 42: by Ana (new)

Ana K P (indeliblefaith) | 57 comments @Kat I have the annoying habit of comparing this site to discord (or most sites actually) because of how easy it is to interact there - which really only serves to remind me that I'm going to have to contend with what I have

message 43: by Ana (new)

Ana K P (indeliblefaith) | 57 comments I'm off for dinner as well, see yall later

byee

message 44: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 8 comments I just read all the comments and yea Goodreads really needs an update. I have joined my book clubs at my school and even started one in college but events or other things would get in the way of talking about books. My best friends do read and we have all talked about our controversial opinions of What If It’s Us so I’m nervous about sharing but I really want to discuss!

message 45: by sukhroopreads (new)

Hey Ilsen! Lol GR really does! Yeah the discussion can change so easily in school, it's hard to talk about the same thing for an hour! Oooh looks like we chose a super controversial book! Please don't be nervous! We want this to be a book club where everyone feels safe to say whatever they want to say!