Into the Forest discussion

Mules and Men
This topic is about Mules and Men

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4468 comments Mod
This Thread is for the Traditional Tale Collection Winner Mules and Men by Zora Neale Hurston

message 2: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 286 comments I haven't gotten it from the library yet, but intend to join the discussion.

message 3: by Janice (JG) (new) - added it

Janice (JG) | 37 comments I've had this on my Kindle for some time, and I'm glad to have a reason to finally get around to reading it.

message 4: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4468 comments Mod
My library doesn't have it and they have stopped doing interlibary loans :(

Amanda | 245 comments I listened to this on Audible. Very lyrical. I enjoyed her take on the conflict between men and women, and the stories men tell to legitimise the patriarchy.

Overall I thought this was interesting, without being wholly engaging.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3696 comments Mod
I'm sad my library doesn't have this one. I think I'm going to have to skip reading it as well.

message 7: by Annette (new) - added it

Annette | 265 comments Amanda wrote: "I listened to this on Audible. Very lyrical. I enjoyed her take on the conflict between men and women, and the stories men tell to legitimise the patriarchy.

Overall I thought this was interesting..."

I listened to Ruby Dee narrate Their Eyes Were Watching God and she is good! But I think the Audible is an abridged version of Mules and Men. Is it?

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Annette wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I listened to this on Audible. Very lyrical. I enjoyed her take on the conflict between men and women, and the stories men tell to legitimise the patriarchy.

Overall I thought this ..."

It's listed as Abridged on Amazon.

Amanda | 245 comments It looks like Audible hasn’t advertised this properly then! Because as far as I can see on their description, they make no mention of the fact. It is only by looking at reviewers’ comments that the fact comes out.

Feeling a bit disgruntled.

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Amanda wrote: "It looks like Audible hasn’t advertised this properly then! Because as far as I can see on their description, they make no mention of the fact. It is only by looking at reviewers’ comments that the..."

Ugh, that's frustrating. That's happened to me with audiobooks before, too.

message 11: by Janice (JG) (new) - added it

Janice (JG) | 37 comments I'm enjoying this (on my Kindle)... and it is revelatory, and funny. I am especially looking forward to the second half of the book when Hurston travels to New Orleans and explores voodoo. In my edition the forward mentions that Hurston took what she learned about voodoo very seriously, and practiced it.

message 12: by Annette (new) - added it

Annette | 265 comments I am still reading this. I like it better in small chunks. One of the things I like about the”lies” are the bits some of the tellers add to the end: “Now Ah tole dat one for myself, now Ah got to tell one for my wife.” “Biddy, biddy, bend my story is end. Turn loose de rooster and hold de hen.””So Ah stepped on a pin, de pin bent and dat’s de way de story went.”

message 13: by Janice (JG) (new) - added it

Janice (JG) | 37 comments Annette wrote: "I am still reading this. I like it better in small chunks. One of the things I like about the”lies” are the bits some of the tellers add to the end: “Now Ah tole dat one for myself, now Ah got to t..."

I am also still reading this, and also in bits and small chunks. I find it really enjoyable. I like just dipping into it occasionally and reading a few of the "lies" and the dialogues between the "liars." I'm still looking forward to her trip to Louisiana, and her voodoo experiences.