Christian Writing & Reading Community discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by James, Head Cook & Bottle Washer (new)

James Collins | 163 comments Mod
Hello,

My name is James Collins and I am the new moderator for this group. I am a follower of Jesus, author, pastor, columnist, retired U.S. Army Chaplain, husband, dad, and janitor. My calling is to be an effective communicator of God's Word. To that end, I will use any means possible - a pulpit on Sunday, a newspaper column, or a book. I write a weekly syndicated newspaper column and I am also the author of several books.

My heart's desire is to lead people into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. Since 2016, I have served as senior pastor of First Southern Baptist Church in Fort Scott, Kansas. My wife and I have three awesome kids. We live in a Victorian house that we are in the process of renovating.

I look forward to getting to know more believer's and learning from each other. If you are a Christian author, reader, blogger, or if you work in Christian publishing, let's connect. Introduce yourself in this thread. Follow me and I will follow you back.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Miller (lisacmiller) | 11 comments Hello, I am Lisa C. Miller. I am a poet. I listen for the Lord's direction so I write what He gives me to share with the human race. I write to the lost and broken souls and to the spiritually disconnected to help them to reconnect, to reveal the simplicity of Christ and the beauty of an ordinary life, their life.
My husband and I live in the beautiful state of Ky. We have been married for 33 years. We have three kids.
Let's start a discussion about poetry.

message 3: by James, Head Cook & Bottle Washer (new)

Lisa,
I'm so glad that you are here and welcome your input.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Miller (lisacmiller) | 11 comments ok.

message 5: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Spencer | 1 comments I really liked your Christmas book, The Nativity.

message 6: by James, Head Cook & Bottle Washer (new)

Benjamin wrote: "I really liked your Christmas book, The Nativity."
Thanks so much!

message 7: by Chip (new)

Chip Tudor (chiptudor) | 1 comments I'm Chip Tudor. A professional copywriter, author and pastor. I've written a number of comedy church dramas that are on my website. www,chiptudor.com. I write a regular blog www.chiptudor.com/blog and have also published 5 books on amazon. Four are non-fiction Christian books and the 5th is a Christian Detective novel.

message 8: by David (new)

David Knott | 19 comments Hi, I'm David Knott, and I'm a first time Christian author. I'm so grateful to James for inviting me to this group.

By way of introduction - I responded to the call to follow Jesus when I was an engineering student. I worked for a world leading aerospace company for thirty-nine years, and am a Fellow of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers.

I have an internal drive to understand, whether it is the physics of aerodynamics, or the nature of our relationship with God. I have been a Bible teacher for over thirty years, and a Church Elder, my passion being to help others understand scripture’s vital truth, apply it, and be inwardly transformed in the process. I train and facilitate people in creativity and innovation, and I love designing and making ceramics that are simple, novel and functional.

My book is:

The Psalm 23 Life: Experiencing the Love of God Every Day

My hope and prayer is that my book will help people become more rooted and established in God's love, so that they will be able to live lives that "please Him in every way, bearing fruit in every good work".

message 9: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 7 comments Hi! I'm Pamela and I just joined your group. Thank you, James, for inviting me! I love reading and especially enjoy Bible studies and history. Christian fiction and non-fiction fill my bookshelves. I enjoy reading books and reviewing them for authors. I have written a few articles for our small town monthly newspaper, but have yet to write anything beyond that. Serious writing has always been a dream of mine. I've been researching the role of the U.S. Sanitary Commission during the American Civil War and would like to write about that one of these days. I'm really looking forward to participating in this group and getting to know everyone!

message 10: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Cook | 1 comments Hello all! My name is Timothy Cook. I am a retired physician (retired the end of 2019). I am also a writer, having published a medical fantasy trilogy, with a distinctively Christian orientation. I am also a painter and photographer. I am also a Christian, and I do lead a small group within our church, so my retired life is still very busy.
My publishing experience has been one of hills and valleys, as my original Publisher was Tate Publishing. As some of you may know, Tate Publishing went out of business as the CEO and his dad got arrested for fraud, extortion and the like. I have since self-published my original trilogy, but have not yet republished the beginning of the second trilogy, preferring to work on the second trilogy, and when it is finished (I am now writing book six) I will reconsider my options. While still with Tate, they did publish the beginning of the second trilogy.
All my books are available on Amazon, as well as other sites, and you can access them through Goodreads. The stories tell the tale of a twentieth century cardiologist, and a fifteenth century physician, and the stories do come together, with considerable intrigue along the way.
I do look forward to participating in this group, and it is my hope that I can be of some assistance to those still struggling.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hi. I just joined this group today. I'm not a writer but an avid reader. Christian fiction and non-fiction are what I read the most. Biblical fiction is my favorite. Authors such as Mesu Andrews, Angela Hunt, Lynn Austin, Francine Rivers and Jerry Jenkins. Thank you James for inviting me.

message 12: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 7 comments Sandra wrote: "Hi. I just joined this group today. I'm not a writer but an avid reader. Christian fiction and non-fiction are what I read the most. Biblical fiction is my favorite. Authors such as Mesu Andrews, A..."

Hi Sandra! I just joined the group, too! Lynn Austin is one of my favorites! Her Refiner's Fire series is excellent. I enjoyed "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers, and "Passing Strangers" by Angela Hunt is also a great read. Have you read those books?

message 13: by Read-n-Bloom (new)

Read-n-Bloom (godsangel) | 104 comments Hi everyone!! I want to thank James for inviting me to this group. I love to read period. Lol but I love to read Christian books. I like to help authors of Christian books get reviews and get readers to read their books. It's so needful, I feel, at this time. If you would like me to read and review your books with my honest opinion, just reach out. I would love to do it for you. I may reach out to you if I see one of your books and it interests me. :) ...I am a happy wife for 34 years and mother of two grown daughters in their 20's. I am a caretaker for my mother, so anytime my reading could slow down because of taking care of her or sickness in my family, because my husband is disabled. But I will do my best to not let it affect my reading and reviewing, if possible. So glad to be in this group. Thanks again for the invite James! God bless you all!

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Philliber | 1 comments Well, here I am. Retired Air Force enlisted sergeant (1999) who became a Presbyterian minister. I've published two books thus far, and have another in the mix to get published in the next few months. My goal this year (re: books and publishing) is to have four books make it to the press. I also do tons of book reviews. Married, 4 kids, 4 grandkids, and a pesky little dog. I'm a 2nd degree black belt (Tai Kwon Do), and do lots of woodworking. Recently I took up woodcarving. After 33 years away, I am now back in Oklahoma, where my wife and I grew up.

message 15: by Joel (last edited Feb 05, 2021 07:45PM) (new)

Joel Thimell | 1 comments Hello! I'm looking forward to getting to know everybody and their books.
In previous lives, I've worked in politics, journalism, marketing research, small business and cooking. No, I'm not related to Shirley MacLaine and I don't believe in reincarnation. But I have moved about the country and changed careers so many times that I do feel like I've lived numerous different lives.
For years I have heard countless fellow evangelical Christians express doubt and confusion concerning the God of the Old Testament. Many of them rarely read the OT because they find it conflicts with their understanding of "true" Christianity. And non-Christians frequently use the OT to attack Christians and debunk Christianity.
So I have felt led to write novels that bring the OT world and its cultures to life for a modern audience, starting with a prequel to the Genesis story of Abram and Sarai--as told by Lot. Many Christians feel that Lot was a villain, or a fool at best, and yet, why did the Apostle Peter call him a "righteous soul who was tormented by the wickedness he saw?"
I don't have a simple answer to give. Instead I wrote Long Road Out of Ur.
My hope is that my readers will learn that the God of the Old Testament is as full of love, compassion and grace for rebels like Lot and me, as He is in the New Testament. The book is not preachy or theological. Instead, it focuses on real people struggling with real relationships.

message 16: by Peter (new)

Peter (pdinuk) | 1 comments Hello all.
Thanks to James for inviting me to join the group. I'm a nonfiction author, with five books and a few academic book chapters out there. I've been focusing on WW2 secret history recently, but two of my books have a Christian focus. I recently updated and re-published Peacemakers: A Christian View of War and Peace, which had originally been published by IVP.
Peacemakers A Christian View of War and Peace by Peter Dixon
Then, just before Christmas, I published Gain Save Give: Doing the right thing with money Gain Save Give by Peter Dixon
The book is especially relevant in the traditional 40 days of preparation for Easter. It seems appropriate to encourage generosity in Lent, rather than 'just' giving up luxuries as many do in some church traditions. In that spirit, the ebook version will be 99c/99p worldwide for the first few days of Lent (17-21 Feb).
I hope members might take a look and find it of value.

message 17: by James, Head Cook & Bottle Washer (new)

Chip,
It is great to have you here.
James

message 18: by James, Head Cook & Bottle Washer (new)

David,
As a theologian, I was certainly blessed by your insights in The Psalm 23 Life. Great book. Welcome to the group.
James

message 19: by James, Head Cook & Bottle Washer (new)

Welcome and greetings to all new members. We are blessed to have you.

message 20: by David (new)

David Knott | 19 comments James wrote: "David,
As a theologian, I was certainly blessed by your insights in The Psalm 23 Life. Great book. Welcome to the group.
James"

Thanks James!

Thank you for your wonderful book review, and for creating this group.

message 21: by Dianne (last edited Feb 06, 2021 11:16AM) (new)

Dianne Butts (dianneebutts) | 32 comments Hi all! Thank you, James, for inviting me here. I've seen your "likes" on my "currently reading" updates.

I've been writing for more than 30 years with many articles printed in Christian magazines and books, like the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. I've written 6 print books, 4 ebooks for writers, and 3 ebooks off topics in my Bible Prophecies Fulfilled blog.

Four of those aforementioned print books were put out of print way too early (IMHO!). After exploring options and praying for many years, I'm now working to get my "Prophecies Fulfilled" series back into print -- which will be a lot of work as I'm doing a total rewrite.

Along the way on my writing journey, I kind of tripped and did a faceplant finding myself in film. I'm a screenwriter and then accidentally became a producer of sorts. I've produced several short films, one of them based on a true story in my Deliver Me book and others award-winning.

So now I'm scrambling to keep up with what feels like two full-time jobs: writer and screenwriter/producer.

So far my books and most articles have been nonfiction. I'm also now progressing on what I started out to do in the first place thirty years ago: write fiction.

PS: James, I'm a big fan of Noah Hutchings. As a pastor / preacher / author / radio personality, he taught me a lot.

message 22: by Rodney (new)

Rodney (rjerps) | 31 comments Hello everybody. My name is Rodney. Thank you James for inviting me to join this group. I am not an author but I am a Christian that likes to read. I am not real good at writing reviews because I have problems finding the right words to do so. My reviews are not real great or interesting so most of the time they are just the star system. I like reading non-fiction books. Theology mostly. Also have an interest in what a lot of people would believe is odd but that is cryptozoology which is the study of unknown animals. I need to widen my interest in different genres. I never really cared for fiction but have read a couple books in that category. I'm thinking that maybe it's because I have not got a good imagination but need to give it another try. Hope to meet new Christian friends on here and thanks again James for inviting me to join.

message 23: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 7 comments Rodney wrote: "Hello everybody. My name is Rodney. Thank you James for inviting me to join this group. I am not an author but I am a Christian that likes to read. I am not real good at writing reviews because I h..."

The study of unknown animals sounds very interesting. I don't know much about that subject, although I am an animal lover. I have two cats, different as night and day. It would be very interesting to be able to know what makes them tick, as I have never been able to figure that out! I like to say I maintain my home soley for their comfort and convenience...They do not live with me, I live with them. It seems to be their house and I merely pay the bills!😁

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Pamela wrote: "Sandra wrote: "Hi. I just joined this group today. I'm not a writer but an avid reader. Christian fiction and non-fiction are what I read the most. Biblical fiction is my favorite. Authors such as ..."

I have part of the Refiner's Fire series and Redeeming Love but haven't read them yet.

message 25: by Louise (new)

Louise Bélanger | 36 comments Angela~ wrote: "Hi everyone!! I want to thank James for inviting me to this group. I love to read period. Lol but I love to read Christian books. I like to help authors of Christian books get reviews and get reade..."

Hi Angela, I am also new to this group. Happy I joined.

If you like reading poetry, I can talk to you about my book: Your Words A beautiful collection of inspiring poems and photographs.
Let me know if you would like to know more. 😊

message 26: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 7 comments Sandra wrote: "Pamela wrote: "Sandra wrote: "Hi. I just joined this group today. I'm not a writer but an avid reader. Christian fiction and non-fiction are what I read the most. Biblical fiction is my favorite. A..."

I'm sure you will enjoy those books!

message 27: by Read-n-Bloom (new)

Read-n-Bloom (godsangel) | 104 comments Louise, I would love to know more about it. Send me a message about it! Thank you!

message 28: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Damo (nadinedamo) James wrote: "Welcome and greetings to all new members. We are blessed to have you."

Congratulations to all the new authors, and welcome. Also thank you to those who are interested in reading quality, sound Christian books, welcome to you also. Looking forward to getting to know you all more. Stay blessed!

message 29: by Louise (new)

Louise Bélanger | 36 comments Nadine wrote: "James wrote: "Welcome and greetings to all new members. We are blessed to have you."

Congratulations to all the new authors, and welcome. Also thank you to those who are interested in reading qual..."

My To Read Book list just keeps growing ☺️ because of groups like this one, it is a good thing. So happy to be part of it.

message 30: by David (new)

David Knott | 19 comments Rodney wrote: "I like reading non-fiction books. Theology mostly. "

Hi Rodney, if you like theology and Christian nonfiction, you might be interested in my book:

The Psalm 23 Life: Experiencing the Love of God Every Day

... just a suggestion, and don't worry about a review, but I'd be interested in what you think.

David

message 31: by Rodney (new)

Rodney (rjerps) | 31 comments Thanks David. I am interested. Will put it on my to read list. I am giving a try to non fiction as well.

message 32: by Katherine (new)

Katherine S | 2 comments Hello all. I'm not a writer but an avid reader. I usually have two or three books going at any one time. usually in different category's for example, at the moment I'm reading:
A novel The Robe for bedtime reading.
A Memoir Never Look at the Empty Seats: A Memoir.
And a heavier study book The Christian in Complete Armour - The Ultimate Book on Spiritual Warfare

Thank you James for inviting me.

message 33: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 7 comments Kate wrote: "Hello all. I'm not a writer but an avid reader. I usually have two or three books going at any one time. usually in different category's for example, at the moment I'm reading:
A novel [book:The R..."

I've heard good things about all three books and have read a different book about the armour of God. Very interesting. What do you think of Charlie Daniels' book? I always enjoyed his music. Right before he died, our local concert venue announced he would perform in late autum this year. He died within days of the announcement.

message 34: by David (new)

David Knott | 19 comments Rodney wrote: "Thanks David. I am interested. Will put it on my to read list. I am giving a try to non fiction as well."

Thanks Rodney, I hope you enjoy it!

message 35: by Katherine (new)

Katherine S | 2 comments Pamela wrote: "Kate wrote: "Hello all. I'm not a writer but an avid reader. I usually have two or three books going at any one time. usually in different category's for example, at the moment I'm reading:
A nove..."

I'm really liking the Charlie Daniels' book. it has mostly short chapters (2-4 page) so its very easy to dip in and out of. He gives a lot of background on the band, his life, his songs and his faith.

I've always enjoyed his music to. and had the pleasure of seeing him once in concert at an outdoor venue.

message 36: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 7 comments Kate wrote: "Pamela wrote: "Kate wrote: "Hello all. I'm not a writer but an avid reader. I usually have two or three books going at any one time. usually in different category's for example, at the moment I'm r..."

Thanks for the info! I think I'd enjoy the book! I saw him in concert at Valley Forge about 30 years ago and would have enjoyed seeing him again. He would have appeared at an outdoor venue in my town, but he passed away a few weeks after they announced the concert date. I was shocked when I heard the news of his death. Very sad. We've been losing so many great entertainers.

message 37: by Thurman (new)

Thurman Faison (venture2) | 11 comments Hello,
My name is Thurman Faison. I am a former pastor and T.V. minister. After serving in the Air Force as a radar operator, I began preparing for the ministry in Canada and completed my biblical education in the US. After many years of ministry I retired and was inspired to write books of a spiritual nature and have published them on Amazon. My last and final book is about "Forgiveness". https://www.amazon.com/Thurman-L-Fais...

message 38: by Bob (new)

Bob Jennerich | 1 comments Hi Everyone,

James, thanks for inviting me to the group. I'm a former lawyer. I practiced for 20 + years in New Jersey. I became a believer in my mid-30's, about 10 yeas into my legal career. We felt God's call to ministry on our lives and moved to Dallas in 2011 to attend seminary. Now I'm a pastor of a small church in the Dallas area. I just released my first book in December, Facing Life's Challenges Head On. Some of it has to do with the great difficulty of the transition from owner of a small law firm to pastor. Thankfully God's people have dealt with all of these issues. My book is intended to be a transparent look at the difficulties of life and how Jesus helps us through them. I hope to get to know some of you through this group!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08...

message 39: by James, Head Cook & Bottle Washer (new)

Bob,
Your book sounds very good. I will check it out.
James

message 40: by James, Head Cook & Bottle Washer (new)

I read Bob's book this week and here is my review:
Truly an Enlightening Read
Bob Jennerich’s Facing Life’s Challenges Head On is a comforting and encouraging book in a world that is desperately searching for answers. He tackles the challenges of anxiety, fear, doubt, rejection, temptation, guilt and shame, money, comparison, sickness, and compromise with practical teaching from the Word of God. At times, it feels like an autobiography with this lawyer turned pastor expertly weaving in stories from his life as illustrations. Jennerich, to his credit, shares his doubts just as honestly as he shares his faith. Yet, his pastor’s heart comes through on each page as he offers examples of people from the Bible who learned how to get through what they couldn’t get around. The author shows his readers that we can depend on Jesus. He is sufficient to meet all our needs. I would recommend Facing Life’s Challenges Head On to believers and nonbelievers alike. I have read and reread the entire book. It is truly an enlightening read. It took me deeper into understanding Scripture, and how to go about overcoming the challenges in my own life.

message 41: by David (new)

David Knott | 19 comments Learning to Love ... provoking you towards love.

Some friends and I recently did a Bible study, on 1 Corinthians 13, that spoke to me. This article is the result, and it contains material out of the new book I have started to write.

I hope it will encourage you to choose the most excellent way:

https://medium.com/pelos-press/learni...

message 42: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 7 comments Very inspiring, David! Wishing you many blessings as you write your book!🙏

message 43: by David (new)

David Knott | 19 comments Thanks Pamela, that's very kind of you!

message 44: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Damo (nadinedamo) Thank you for sharing David. That is encouraging!
May God continue to show you and all of us His abundant love!

message 45: by David (new)

David Knott | 19 comments Amen!

message 46: by Read-n-Bloom (new)

Read-n-Bloom (godsangel) | 104 comments I read Louise’s book YOUR WORDS. Here is my review:

This is a wonderful little book of poems. In the author’s own words in a great time of need. The author has written these beautiful words during the Covid-19 pandemic of 2020. Such a time of heartache and depression and stress, but she lets it all out through her pen in the words of her poems. If you like poetry, I believe, you will love this book. And if you’re finding it difficult living through this pandemic, I believe, this little book will help lift you up. It sure did myself.

I hope you all get to read it. It was lovely. My favorite one was about the caterpillar and mouse. But they all were good.

message 47: by Louise (new)

Louise Bélanger | 36 comments Angela~ wrote: "I read Louise’s book YOUR WORDS. Here is my review:

This is a wonderful little book of poems. In the author’s own words in a great time of need. The author has written these beautiful words duri..."

Thank you so dearly Angela! I couldn’t be happier, so grateful for your review and for sharing it. 💙

Ah the caterpillar and the mouse, they made me smile so much when I was writing their story. Then trying to find in all my photographs one to complement it and finding the right one...❤️

message 48: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Kelly | 3 comments Hi everyone! My name is Ed and I go by the pen name E.M. Kelly. I am a former Marine and E.M.T. in Boston. Currently I am an anesthesia billing supervisor for a large Boston hospital group.

I once had God in my life and then I lost Him. This writing journey is my way trying to find Him again. In my series, I have two protagonists who are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to God, but they work together to survive the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

With my writing I feel myself getting closer to God again, as I research the Bible and write these two similar but separate characters. My books do contain strong language and violence, as does the real world.

My series name is: A Journey Through Hell, because lets face it, its a story revolving around the Apocalypse. Plus, its at the worst times in life that we need God, and even though it sometimes feels like he has abandoned us, we discover that is not the case.

Thank you for having me!

-Ed

message 49: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1 comments Hi James

Thank you for the invite to this group. My name is Kate and I am Christian who loves reading, particularly Christian books that are edifying and also challenging, that encourage me to grow in Christ’s likeness. I also enjoy biographies and fiction. I also love reading about history and different cultures, let’s just say my taste is eclectic. I’ve been a Christian for 25 years, my husband and we have 4 kids, teenagers to be more precise. I am an active member of my church and am involved in both kids and youth ministry. I wish to be faithful and authentic in my witness and most of my non fiction Christian reading is based upon this aspect. I would rather take my time reading non fiction Christian books so I can think carefully about what I’ve just read. I try to have as much variety in my reading as possible. I’ve never really been part of a group like this so I’m not 100% sure what to expect but I thank you for the opportunity.

message 50: by David (new)

David Knott | 19 comments Kate wrote: "I am Christian who loves reading, particularly Christian books that are edifying and also challenging, that encourage me to grow in Christ’s likeness...I would rather take my time reading non fiction Christian books so I can think carefully about what I’ve just read."

Wow, Kate, you sound like just the kind of reader, I would imagine, that many of us write for. Welcome to the group!

David

« previous 1