Let's Write One-of-a-kind Stories! discussion

Life as a Writer > FOCUS, brain! - How to Defeat Distractions

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda Artist Cat (last edited Jul 15, 2020 10:59PM) (new)

Amanda Artist Cat (amandawholovesbooks) So, distractions.... It is a problem I am always running into! Here's some of my pet distractions:

- New ideas
- Social media
- Trying to write multiple things at once
- School work
- Snack time
- Little details in the writing that don't matter
- Other creative projects I'm working on
- Trying to do flowery writing allllll the time (if you read my works - which are in the Amanda's Writing and Works in Progress topic - you'll know my style is extra-extra-flowery)

What are YOUR list of pet distractions?

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandathereader07) | 7 comments Random ideas I get for the story I'm writing is probably my biggest distraction. I'll be writing the beginning, then think-what if I ended the book like this!?

Amanda Artist Cat (amandawholovesbooks) Same!! That's why I spent AAAAGES coming up with good plots :(

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 85 comments Mod
Distractions are always other good books to read! Or school work, which isn't really a distraction, but more of a priority, but anyway.

Amanda Artist Cat (amandawholovesbooks) I get that :(

Amanda Artist Cat (amandawholovesbooks) I found a good way to prevent distractions - listening to music 🎶! It really helps, I create playlists for my books 😹!!

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 85 comments Mod
That's really interesting! I found that in quarantine. when I was doing school from home music really helped.

message 8: by Amelie (new)

Amelie Oh, music usually just distracts me even more, since I start tuning into the song, and forgetting about everything else. 😂

Amanda Artist Cat (amandawholovesbooks) Oh that happens too, yes 😹!

message 10: by Amelie (new)

Amelie Yeah, I prefer writing in a more quiet and peaceful environment to help me focus, so when this isn’t possible, I try my best to block everything else out, so I can’t get too distracted.

Amanda Artist Cat (amandawholovesbooks) I'm easily distracted by noises,, even tiny little ones! :(