The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

The Guest List
This topic is about The Guest List
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > The Guest List by Lucy Foley - August 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5141 comments The group chose to read The Guest List by Lucy Foley in August as our "thriller" themed read. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and read at different speeds.

The Guest List by Lucy Foley

The bride ‧ The plus one ‧ The best man ‧ The wedding planner ‧ The bridesmaid ‧ The body

On an island off the coast of Ireland, guests gather to celebrate two people joining their lives together as one. The groom: handsome and charming, a rising television star. The bride: smart and ambitious, a magazine publisher. It’s a wedding for a magazine, or for a celebrity: the designer dress, the remote location, the luxe party favors, the boutique whiskey. The cell phone service may be spotty and the waves may be rough, but every detail has been expertly planned and will be expertly executed.

But perfection is for plans, and people are all too human. As the champagne is popped and the festivities begin, resentments and petty jealousies begin to mingle with the reminiscences and well wishes. The groomsmen begin the drinking game from their school days. The bridesmaid not-so-accidentally ruins her dress. The bride’s oldest (male) friend gives an uncomfortably caring toast.

And then someone turns up dead. Who didn’t wish the happy couple well? And perhaps more important, why?

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 247 comments I'm looking forward to reading this! I loved The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley.

Christopher  | 1 comments Picked up a copy too, so I'm ready to start on Saturday now!

Shawnee | 3 comments I’m joining on this one also!

Bobby N.  | 3 comments I have to wait for my BOTM to come, it’s an add on for August. I enjoyed The Hunting Party and heard that The Guest List is even better!

Andrea Lackman | 4 comments 50 pages in, really enjoying !

Neeraja The POV style of story telling totally paid off in this book. I did not find the ending or the reveal to be that great. But I thoroughly enjoyed this as an audiobook especially with the short chapters.

Trisha (semi-hiatus) (booksreviewsandprocrastination) I just started it, around 5% in, and it's really intriguing!!

Mairy (books_and_heels) | 10 comments When are we allowed to start discussing the book?

Trisha (semi-hiatus) (booksreviewsandprocrastination) Mairy wrote: "When are we allowed to start discussing the book?"

Yeah, I wanted to ask this too, is there like a specific date?

Lauren | 3 comments I read this last month and am looking forward to participating in the discussion!!

message 12: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz | 7 comments Just started this book and I am already liking it.

Carol (fleter) | 144 comments Just started...the format is interesting - I like it!

Mairy (books_and_heels) | 10 comments I want to hear everyone's thoughts: would you have agreed to hold your wedding on this creepy and dangerous island?

I would have never had my wedding on a windy, muddy, sad-looking remote location. Nothing scream romance when reading the island's landscape and general vibe. Who has a different opinion on the matter?

Trisha (semi-hiatus) (booksreviewsandprocrastination) Mairy wrote: "I want to hear everyone's thoughts: would you have agreed to hold your wedding on this creepy and dangerous island?

I would have never had my wedding on a windy, muddy, sad-looking remote locatio..."

Never ever would I agree to be married in a place so far from civilisation, where there are no cell signals, where bad luck symbols follow you so undeterringly, where there is a castle, which is not fully populated. It would be asking to be murdered to me.

message 16: by Liz (last edited Aug 04, 2020 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz | 7 comments Personal I didn’t see this island as creepy at first. I wonder what caused the island to become so empty and abandoned, but I see the allure to have the wedding at a beautiful castle on the island.

I’m currently on page 77 and I am curious what opinions there are about Charlie and Jules together.

Mairy (books_and_heels) | 10 comments Liz wrote: "Personal I didn’t see this island as creepy at first. I wonder what caused the island to become so empty and abandoned, but I see the allure to have the wedding at a beautiful castle on the island...."

I don't think you have reached the part that explains the dark story of the island.

I read the book two months ago so I don't have all the details in mind but I remember feeling like their relationship is purely based on physical attraction, like many celebrities. Sex is great is practiced regularly, but there is no depth to their relationship.

message 18: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz | 7 comments Do you mean Jules and Will? He is the celebrity. If so, I have to agree that their relationship seems very superficial and on the surface.
I am interested in finding out the history of the island.

Madhura Maddolkar | 2 comments I just bought this book and I'm all set to read it! Excited to join the discussions soon.

Robin | 6 comments i just finished reading this and looking forward to discussing with everyone. i definitely felt that the island was weird and creepy but i could understand the appeal possibly since they wanted someplace isolated from paparazzi being that they were sort of famous and also they could go all out and make it the wedding of the year or whatever since it seemed that they were very showy.

Kayla Kelly I finished this book a couple days ago before knowing of this group and the BOTM selection. I rated this a 3/5. I thought it was an interesting premise. I enjoyed the different POVs and learning the backgrounds of each character and how they were woven together. I did feel like there were some parts that dragged a bit. I enjoyed the ending because I did not expect it. I really look forward to discussing this with everyone later on in the month.

message 22: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz | 7 comments Just finished the book, and I give it a 5 out of 5.

message 23: by Gauri (new)

Gauri Author (gaurishanbhagwagle) | 34 comments No Mairy, I would have never liked it if my wedding took place on this muddy, terrifying and dangerous island?

message 24: by Dina1120 (new)

Dina1120 | 3 comments Ready to start today. My first book from this author.

Nicky (fictionreadingadventurer) | 5 comments It was all about the characters for me, they were a fantastic complexed mixture. I hated Will, loved the plus one from Manchester, had mixed feelings about Jon-o, partly wanted to shake the bridesmaid, partly sympathised her, felt sorry for the boy who was killed in their games, didn't like Jules. How great was the timing on the character build up!? Fab!

Shannon (shannondisbell) | 71 comments Library has this but its on a long wait list hope i i can get it soon

message 27: by Leena (new) - added it

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 530 comments ive got to start the book

message 28: by Dali (new)

Dali (dvferrero) I want to read this! When is the August discussion?

message 29: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam | 2 comments Starting this today! Looking forward to discussion.

Nicky (fictionreadingadventurer) | 5 comments Dali wrote: "I want to read this! When is the August discussion?"
Oh that's how it works we all discuss at the same time?! That makes sense, haha silly me.

Sarah (sarahakhtar) | 9 comments I've just started reading it, currently on chapter 3

Madhura Maddolkar | 2 comments I finished the book last weekend. I loved the character buildup and the timing of how it all ads up in the end.

message 33: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam | 2 comments I am almost finished and loving it!!! Expertly crafted murder mystery!!

Sarah (sarahakhtar) | 9 comments I finished it the day before yesterday and I liked it mostly because of it's female characters. They were AMAZING.

Amber | 2 comments just started reading today!!!!

message 36: by Leena (new) - added it

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 530 comments I'm going to start tomorrow

Carol (fleter) | 144 comments Enjoyed this - more and more so as the book went on. Very Hitchcock’ish and the setting was its own character in the book. Great read! 5 star book for me.

Anisa | 48 comments 5 star read for me too. really liked the setting, the writing style, the different points of view. The whole story was great!!

Carrie (carriele1216) | 324 comments Just starting this. Glad to read so many positive reviews!

Rushali Gupta (happy_soul) | 3 comments I guess I will give it a read after so many positive reviews!

Durgesh Hirekar | 2 comments Finished the book and loved it. The climax was really not expected. 4/5 from me

Raven | 1 comments Read this book last month and enjoyed it. Took a minute to get into it but was worth it in the end!

message 43: by Kyla (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kyla Daniels | 10 comments Nicky wrote: "It was all about the characters for me, they were a fantastic complexed mixture. I hated Will, loved the plus one from Manchester, had mixed feelings about Jon-o, partly wanted to shake the bridesm..."

I totally agree with your feelings about each of the characters. I enjoyed the changing perspectives and being able to piece the characters lives together as the story developed.

Carrie (carriele1216) | 324 comments Mairy wrote: "I want to hear everyone's thoughts: would you have agreed to hold your wedding on this creepy and dangerous island?

I would have never had my wedding on a windy, muddy, sad-looking remote locatio..."

I have to agree that the location doesn't sound like an ideal venue for a wedding. The poor guests and the choppy rides getting there. But I also felt like there could have been some charm due to the remoteness of the location and the lack of technology. It almost makes everyone take in their surroundings and kind of escape the modern world.

Carrie (carriele1216) | 324 comments Liz wrote: "Personal I didn’t see this island as creepy at first. I wonder what caused the island to become so empty and abandoned, but I see the allure to have the wedding at a beautiful castle on the island...."

It almost seemed like Jules and Charlie should have been the ones getting married. She seems to be so much more relaxed when she's with him. I really liked Charlie's wife though. Her perspective might have been my favorite.

Carrie (carriele1216) | 324 comments I finished this book and definitely thought it was worthy of 4.5 stars. Missed the 5 by the fact that so many coincidences would have needed to take place to make the story work. Question for readers who have finished the book: (view spoiler)

message 47: by Anisa (last edited Aug 20, 2020 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anisa | 48 comments Carrie wrote: "I finished this book and definitely thought it was worthy of 4.5 stars. Missed the 5 by the fact that so many coincidences would have needed to take place to make the story work. Question for reade..."

Hi Carrie, (view spoiler)

Anisa | 48 comments Mairy wrote: "I want to hear everyone's thoughts: would you have agreed to hold your wedding on this creepy and dangerous island?

Hi Mairy, If I were a celebrity and wanted to make sure no paps got to my wedding destination, so I could have a private wedding with just family and friends and the wedding was half price, then I would definitely consider the island for a wedding destination especially as it seems the house was quite nice and the chef was amazing... you'd definitely have to consider the pros and cons. It also only seemed creepy at night, because of the weather. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

message 49: by Pratiksha (new) - added it

Pratiksha  | 3 comments I'm starting with this one now. Excited.

message 50: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan (meganreadsandwrites) | 105 comments This book was amazing and I also loved her book the hunting party too.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hunting Party (other topics)
The Guest List (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lucy Foley (other topics)