The Sword and Laser discussion

Black Leopard, Red Wolf (The Dark Star Trilogy #1)
This topic is about Black Leopard, Red Wolf
Black Leopard, Red Wolf > BLRW: What do you expect from the sequel?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1651 comments For those who have finished the book and plan to read the sequel (Moon Witch, Night Devil), what do you expect from it?

Note: If you don't plan to read the sequel or only want to assert your opinion that the first book sucked or say that you had to stop reading due to whatever, please use the other five (?) threads for that, please.

So far from this interview (https://longreads.com/2019/02/05/inte...) we know that Sogolon will be the main POV.

For me, I want Tracker to meet the not-yet-dead friends but also meet new people along the way. I don't mind also seeing a new kingdom/city, meet other cultures, and so on.

message 2: by Poonam (last edited Jul 14, 2020 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Poonam | 58 comments I'm not sure yet if I'll read it, but someone said its supposed to cover the same events as BLRW, so I would expect that we would get a lot of her backstory and how those events shaped her meeting the exiled queen/sister and turning into the kind of leader (view spoiler) she becomes. Considering what we do know of her earlier life, I expect that it will be pretty traumatic. It would definitely be cool to see how she got to the convent. We would probably see a lot more of the supernatural people/realm, I think? Also, she's super old? It would be cool to see how the world changes in her eyes. But I imagine, she would think that it wasn't for the better.

Seth | 396 comments One thing I did like in the first book was a few of the settings - I'm remembering a neat ruined tower/castle, the cool city in the trees with the dark secret, etc. Unfortunately, Tracker sort of gravitated to the gritty parts of each town so many of the places he visited seemed samey. It would be neat to see some of these places from the perspective of someone who can describe their wonders and not just be mired in the muck. Who knows if I'll read it, but that would make me think about it.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1651 comments Poonam wrote: "I'm not sure yet if I'll read it, but someone said its supposed to cover the same events as BLRW, so I would expect that we would get a lot of her backstory and how those events shaped her meeting ..."

Yes, it would interesting to hear her side of the story (and more) she seemed to be so traumatized over lots of things. I liked that she was a survivor too.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1651 comments Seth wrote: "One thing I did like in the first book was a few of the settings - I'm remembering a neat ruined tower/castle, the cool city in the trees with the dark secret, etc. Unfortunately, Tracker sort of g..."

Now that you mentioned it, indeed he had the tendency of going to those kinds of places. Even the nicer parts - like the 'Lothlorien' part of the book - got pretty dark soon.

Maybe we'll get to meet more of the Southern people, what do you think? I mean, it's gonna be war soon.

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) perversely I am more excited to read the next book than to finish BLRW. I love the setting and lore but tracker it to abrasive as a narrator. I would like another POV. very interesting concept for a series.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1651 comments Lee wrote: "perversely I am more excited to read the next book than to finish BLRW. I love the setting and lore but tracker it to abrasive as a narrator. I would like another POV. very interesting concept for ..."

I liked Tracker's voice but I always have a penchant for sarcastic, no nonsense MCs. Agree that the Witch would be super interesting. I wonder now since the third book is titled The Boy and the Dark Star, so the MC is The Boy??
(view spoiler)

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 716 comments The 2nd & 3rd books being from different characters perspectives & covering the same events reminds me a bit of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. Of course, she didn't plan on doing it from the beginning as it sounds like Marlon James might have.

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) I expecting more unreliable narrators from the sequels. maybe if I read the series I'll fully understand this work and the skill it took to write it.

not sure I will read the sequels. I really did not enjoy reading this. felt like I was being toyed with and almost tortured. Marlon James taught me literary techniques like a master swordman teaches a student. not worrying about the harm he might cause.