YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

GROUP BUDDY READ > Faking Normal (Faking Normal #1) by Courtney C. Stevens - MMC GBR - Starting August 1st 2020

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22812 comments Mod

Alexi Littrell hasn't told anyone what happened to her over the summer. Ashamed and embarrassed, she hides in her closet and compulsively scratches the back of her neck, trying to make the outside hurt more than the inside does.

When Bodee Lennox, the quiet and awkward boy next door, comes to live with the Littrells, Alexi discovers an unlikely friend in "the Kool-Aid Kid," who has secrets of his own. As they lean on each other for support, Alexi gives him the strength to deal with his past, and Bodee helps her find the courage to finally face the truth.

Faking Normal (Faking Normal #1) by Courtney C. Stevens will be our 4th GBR for August 2020.

Please read at your own pace, and hide any spoilers ☺ You are welcome to join at any time during the month ☺

Happy Reading Everybody!

Our MMC GBR review thread can be found here - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Pre-Reading Questions -

Anybody got any thoughts on this one before we start?

Has anyone read anything similar to this before?

Anybody read anything else by this author previously?

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10689 comments Don’t know the author, but the book sounds interesting. Up to ch4 and we’ve had an intro to most of the characters, though the identity of the guy who’s done this hasn’t been revealed.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10689 comments Up to ch9. I’m liking the way the friendship between Bodee and Lexi is developing. Got a nasty feeling about the potential identity of Lexi’s rapist (and I’m hoping I’m wrong but the info being dropped seems to be trying too hard to steer us in a certain direction).

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10689 comments Up to ch20. The fixation with the boys and their relationships is starting to grate. I’m also saddened by the fact that people seem so immune to the signs of other’s hurt.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10689 comments Finished. Review on home page. Hard not to post more on this one, but it’s important to not go into this with too many preconceptions. Subject matter makes it hard to say it’s a book I enjoyed reading, but it was sensitive in approach and the bond between the two characters was genuinely heartwarming.

message 8: by Sharon (last edited Aug 13, 2020 05:53PM) (new)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9831 comments Chapter 1: (view spoiler)

message 9: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 10082 comments Just started listening

message 10: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 10082 comments Karen wrote: "Don’t know the author, but the book sounds interesting. Up to ch4 and we’ve had an intro to most of the characters, though the identity of the guy who’s done this hasn’t been revealed."

Yeah (view spoiler)

message 11: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 10082 comments ch 7 (view spoiler) the audiobook has a southern accent and I don't love it. It makes Alexi sound kind of hick

message 12: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 10082 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch9. I’m liking the way the friendship between Bodee and Lexi is developing. Got a nasty feeling about the potential identity of Lexi’s rapist (and I’m hoping I’m wrong but the info being dro..."

Yeah I'm feeling that way too about her rapist. I am glad Alexi has Bodee

message 13: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 10082 comments ch 13 (view spoiler)

message 14: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 10082 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch20. The fixation with the boys and their relationships is starting to grate. I’m also saddened by the fact that people seem so immune to the signs of other’s hurt."

Agreed. The guys being so special and the girls, especially Heather, pushing Hayden on Alexi is frustrating

message 15: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 10082 comments ch 21 (view spoiler)

message 16: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 10082 comments ch 23 (view spoiler)

message 17: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 10082 comments finished (view spoiler)

message 18: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 10082 comments Karen wrote: "Finished. Review on home page. Hard not to post more on this one, but it’s important to not go into this with too many preconceptions. Subject matter makes it hard to say it’s a book I enjoyed read..."

It was definitely difficult subject matter and I enjoyed the relationship between Alexi and Bodee

message 19: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 10082 comments Sharon wrote: "Chapter 1: [spoilers removed]"

Agreed (view spoiler)

message 20: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (aa3142) | 1231 comments Sharon wrote: "Chapter 1: [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (aa3142) | 1231 comments Up to chapter 3
(view spoiler)

message 22: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (aa3142) | 1231 comments Chapter 9
(view spoiler)

message 23: by Sharon (last edited Aug 16, 2020 12:49AM) (new)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9831 comments Chapter 4: (view spoiler)

message 24: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9831 comments Aly wrote: "ch 7 [spoilers removed] the audiobook has a southern accent and I don't love it. It makes Alexi sound kind of hick"

Agreed! (view spoiler)

message 25: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9831 comments Aaron wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Chapter 1: [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Sharon (last edited Aug 16, 2020 01:06AM) (new)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9831 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch9. I’m liking the way the friendship between Bodee and Lexi is developing. Got a nasty feeling about the potential identity of Lexi’s rapist (and I’m hoping I’m wrong but the info being dro..."

I, too, am liking the friendship between Bodee and Lexi. They seem to understand each other, and support each other. I am glad that they have each other.

message 27: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9831 comments Chapter 9: (view spoiler)

message 28: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (aa3142) | 1231 comments Sharon wrote: "Aly wrote: "ch 7 [spoilers removed] the audiobook has a southern accent and I don't love it. It makes Alexi sound kind of hick"

Agreed! [spoilers removed]"

Up to chapter 10
(view spoiler)

message 29: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9831 comments Aaron wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Aly wrote: "ch 7 [spoilers removed] the audiobook has a southern accent and I don't love it. It makes Alexi sound kind of hick"

Agreed! [spoilers removed]"
Up to chapter 10
[spoiler..."

That's another good point. (view spoiler)

message 30: by Aaron (last edited Aug 16, 2020 02:08PM) (new)

Aaron (aa3142) | 1231 comments Chapter 23
(view spoiler)

message 31: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (aa3142) | 1231 comments Done
(view spoiler)

message 32: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9831 comments Ending Thoughts: (view spoiler)

message 33: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 10082 comments Aaron wrote: "Done
[spoilers removed]"

Totally agree!

message 34: by Aly (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 10082 comments Sharon wrote: "Ending Thoughts: [spoilers removed]"

Same

Mummy's Naughty Corner (mummysnaughtycorner) | 7004 comments Mod
25%

(view spoiler)

59%

(view spoiler)

78%

(view spoiler)

Finished

(view spoiler)

Karen wrote: "Up to ch20. The fixation with the boys and their relationships is starting to grate. I’m also saddened by the fact that people seem so immune to the signs of other’s hurt."

(view spoiler)

Aly wrote: "Karen wrote: "Up to ch9. I’m liking the way the friendship between Bodee and Lexi is developing. Got a nasty feeling about the potential identity of Lexi’s rapist (and I’m hoping I’m wrong but the ..."

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Mummy's Naughty Corner (last edited Aug 27, 2020 08:39AM) (new)

Aly wrote: "ch 23 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Sharon wrote: "Chapter 9: [spoilers removed]"

That's so true.

Aaron wrote: "Chapter 23
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 44: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11131 comments Sharon wrote: "Chapter 1: [spoilers removed]"