Our Shared Shelf discussion

June/Jul: Betraying Big Brother > Compare/ Contrast: BBB and other OSS Books

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (last edited Jun 10, 2020 11:21AM) (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Time for another round of compare / contrast! This is a game to create connections and insights by crowd-sourcing all of our collective brilliance.

To play... all you have to do is answer the question from the post before yours and then ask a new question to the person who comes after you.

The Theme:
I want to explore how Betraying Big Brother compares to other books on the OSS Bookshelf. How is this book different from other books we have read together? How is it the same? What connections can we create together?

Let's see how many questions we can answer correctly without repeats!

For Example: My question is how is BBB similar to Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein?

Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein

message 2: by Pam (last edited Jun 10, 2020 11:28AM) (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Pam wrote: "My question is how is BBB similar to Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein?."

One answer may be:

BBB is similar to Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl as they both are about a group of women who are actively pushing against the patriarchy.

- BBB focuses on the Feminist Five vs China's patriarchy

whereas...

- Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl highlights the punk band Sleater-Kinney raging against patriarchal ideas within the the music industry.

Question
How is BBB like Half the Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn?

Half the Sky Turning Oppression Into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof

message 3: by Annie (last edited Jun 12, 2020 06:05AM) (new)

Annie | 44 comments Pam wrote: "Question
How is BBB like Half the Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn?"

Half the Sky is a Chinese expression that kinda reminds people that women hold up half the Sky. And BBB is a testament to that a the Feminist Five are trying to remind their fellow Chinese that women aren't just baby makers for the Party.

I love this game. I'm so excited it's back. I hope more people will play it!

Question:
How is BBB different from Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

message 4: by Jenni (new)

Jenni Jarnot | 1 comments BBB is a non-fiction analysis of females and their rights in Communist China over the decades, deconstructing the patriarchy and what upholds it. BBB centralizes around the Feminist Five and how their actions have influenced modern day feminism. Pachinko is a fictional novel portraying generations of a family, with heavy emphasis on the females and their familial roles and hardships.

How does BBB differ from 1984? How are they related?

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Hello Sameet.

Yes it's a game. It helps with making connections between different texts; allowing for different meaning or appreciation. To play, the next person has to respond to Jenn's question of how Betraying Big Brother differs & relates to 1984.