SCPL Teens discussion

Debates > Series vs. Standalone

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Seminole County Public Library (seminolecountypubliclibrary) | 119 comments Mod
Do you enjoy reading series or do you prefer standalone novels? Why?

message 2: by Kaylie (new)

Kaylie | 4 comments I enjoy reading series because I feel that stand alone books often fail to explain the characters in depth, while series allow the author to fully develop and show growth in the characters. I also prefer series because if I like a book or character I want to read more it, and series allow you to do just that.

message 3: by Lily (new)

Lily | 52 comments I prefer standalone novels because I feel that, with most of the series I read, the books lose quality as the series progresses. The first book is almost always the best one, and they usually get less interesting from there. Then I feel that I have to finish the series and I end up dragging myself through books I don't like just to find out what happens.

Seminole County Public Library (seminolecountypubliclibrary) | 119 comments Mod
I'm torn. I enjoy standalone novels because I know that once I'm done with the book, the story has ended and I'm not left waiting for what's next; I like that the story is self-contained. It's also nice because there is no chance that a second book will disappoint for not living up to the first . . . and there's no waiting for a follow-up!

With a series, there is more opportunity for world building and you really get to know the characters. However, reading a series is a time commitment, and if the series isn't finished yet, you're left anxiously awaiting the next book . . . and what if it never comes, or pales in comparison to what you just read?

message 5: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Pitone | 17 comments I prefer reading series because I enjoy knowing that the story is not over when I finish reading the first book. If I love a book, then I would want the plot to grow and keep building with each book. When the story ends I want to feel that it cannot be continued and I believe that is not as likely to happen with standalone books.

message 6: by Bally (new)

Bally Warren | 18 comments I prefer reading stand alone because sometimes the ending is left better wrapped up, undecided, or up to one’s imagination. Sometimes a series can ruin the image of your favorite characters or take away from the first book by replacing quality writing for unnecessary plots and shock value. And I also don’t like the debates on which book of a series was the best or comparing new characters to old characters because each book and character is complex and different.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (sheenaisapunkrocker1976) Personally, I like stand alone.I rather spend my time reading a great stand alone rather than a less than average series. With a series I find that the first book is good or average, and the other books that follow are terrible. Some series can pull it off but it's very hard.

message 8: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 44 comments I think it really depends on the author's job of creating character content in the story. Tolkien certainly did an amazing job creating his world of Middle Earth with the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Though the Hobbit was a standalone - it was tied to Lord of the Rings which needed some extra pages. They both do compliment each other. The book The Outsiders is a good stand-alone. Some stories were meant to have a one book ending.

Rebekah

message 9: by Mallory (new)

Mallory | 3 comments I feel like Standalone novels can be better because then you don't have to wait for the next book to come out, or you don't have to be left on a cliff hanger. Standalone novels can be great if the author knows what they are doing, and they can be long as well. The story finishes in that book and you can feel accomplished finishing it.

message 10: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Ramunno | 31 comments Personally, I prefer standalone. I believe standalone books are much better because the story (if planned properly by the author) feels whole and complete by the end of the book. There are many successful series, but in most cases the story tends to be prolonged for more than is necessary.

message 11: by Aaditya (new)

Aaditya Balasubramaniyan | 12 comments I prefer series over standalone novels. This is because the former are much more intriguing while the joy you obtain from reading the latter is ephemeral. Series make you wait for the next books and end with cliffhangers that excite and interest readers. A great example of this would be the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan.