How to Promote YOUR book on Amazon discussion

General > What Are The Common Problems You Are Facing As A Self Published Author?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mayowa (new)

Mayowa Ajisafe (mayowaajisafe) | 8 comments Been a while on this platform but it's good to be back.

As authors, there are a lot of issues we deal with from how to get a book published to how to actually sell a book.

I am writing a detailed and well-researched blog post on the most common problems self-published authors are having and some cool solutions to those problems.

I need your feedback.

What are the two major problems you are facing as a self-published author?

I will love to hear from you and I will be in the comment section monitoring and responding to all comments when needed.

Cheers!

message 2: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 39 comments Trying to get word out about my book is the biggest problem I face. Trying to overcome the feeling that the reason no one buys it is because it sucks is the next one.

message 3: by Mayowa (new)

Mayowa Ajisafe (mayowaajisafe) | 8 comments Lynne wrote: "Trying to get word out about my book is the biggest problem I face. Trying to overcome the feeling that the reason no one buys it is because it sucks is the next one."

Thanks for that response Lynne.

As a followup question on your response, I will love to ask what are the things you have tried in the past to get your book out there into the world and why you think your book sucks - is that a feedback you got from readers or one you just picked up in your mind as thoughts?

Cheers!

message 4: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 39 comments I don't really think my books suck. It's just the logical response from most authors when they don't sell. I'm traditionally published (small press) and my books go through multiple rounds of editing, so that isn't a problem, but it's always a fear that that's why they don't do well, whether it's true or not.

When it comes to what I've done, I seek reviews and get a few, I pay for advertising and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'm involved in social media on multiple platforms as much as possible, not to spruik my book but to be involved. Everything I have been told to do as an author I do. It's been a bit more difficult with my latest release because I haven't been able to go to any events, so there's that, but there's still the constant difficulty with trying to be noticed over so many other releases.

message 5: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Kirtaime (dmkirtaime) | 41 comments Lynne wrote: "Trying to get word out about my book is the biggest problem I face. Trying to overcome the feeling that the reason no one buys it is because it sucks is the next one."

I've been there and know how that feels - chin up though. I've been struggling for 7 years, marketing my book. I've got reviews, promotions in online magazines and much more. I found that interactions bring sales and not unpaid/paid efforts. This year I had new book trailer made and shortly after was invited on a sci-fi podcast show (you never know how luck turns so keep at it). Remember that we're indie authors and not under contract with a big publisher so we do all the work ourselves. Another tip is to use all social media platforms but not to drain your energy there. Always scout for new opportunites to promote your book - If it's free don't decline (you never know how such a chance will benefit long term, e.g. article posts incl product link, in search results.

message 6: by Mayowa (new)

Mayowa Ajisafe (mayowaajisafe) | 8 comments Lynne wrote: "I don't really think my books suck. It's just the logical response from most authors when they don't sell. I'm traditionally published (small press) and my books go through multiple rounds of editi..."

Really, I could relate to all you said and this same "do all I was told to do" is what I did for many years without anything working. But things started getting right in one way or the other when I really took my time to access most things I have been doing and I realised I was just wasting time doing all those stuffs that doesn't really move the needle.

Remember the Pareto Principle, has been of great help for me in life, business and even in publishing.

I could pick up some points from all you have said anyway.

One, marketing your books and selling them is one major problem you pointed out and I think most authors can surely related to that.

Two, seeing your book isn't selling, there is this feeling that they aren't selling because they aren't just good enough for readers.

I can offer some insights into what I learned over the years anyway but before I jumped into any conclusion, I will love to ask what specific type of advertising have you tried that doesn't work.

I just wanna know what you have tried before for me to understand your particular narrative which is surely gonna be different from that of other authors.

I am already getting some angles for my blog post anyway.

Cheers!

message 7: by Mayowa (new)

Mayowa Ajisafe (mayowaajisafe) | 8 comments D.M. wrote: "Lynne wrote: "Trying to get word out about my book is the biggest problem I face. Trying to overcome the feeling that the reason no one buys it is because it sucks is the next one."

I've been ther..."

Great insights from you I just say.

Thanks for that.

Can I ask what specific things have worked well for you before from your past experience in terms of selling your books in the way you love to see.

Cheers!

message 8: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 39 comments Some advertising has worked. I've found The Fussy Librarian quite good. Some things work at random times.

message 9: by Rod (new)

Rod Rhimes | 18 comments It's been a while since I logged in. So, in the final analysis, what are the best ways to promote your contribution to the literary world? Has anyone had any luck with a particular free or paid service that actually generated sales?