Horror Aficionados discussion

Dead Daughters
This topic is about Dead Daughters
Group Reads: Guest Author Invite > June 2020 Group Read with Guest Author, Tim Meyer

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1529 comments Mod
This is the thread for our June 2020 Group Read with Guest Author ,Tim Meyer. This month we’ll be reading Tim’s latest release, DEAD DAUGHTERS. You can grab a copy of his book at the link below. Please help me welcome Tim to HA!

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Daughters...

message 2: by Troy (new) - added it

Troy (robotroym) I've been curious about this one, especially with all the positive reviews. I just snagged my copy off Amazon, and I look forward to joining the discussion.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6073 comments Mod
I just finished this one, and am really looking forward to the discussion. (I have a 5-star review ready to be actually "typed" up...)

message 4: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Hey everyone! Good to see you on here. Looking forward to the discussion! Any questions, feel free to post them! :-)

message 5: by Gail (new) - added it

Gail | 7 comments Just purchased my copy! I am very excited to read this one! I also look forward to the discussion!

message 6: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11041 comments Mod
Hey Tim! welcome back and thank you for spending time with us.

message 7: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Latasha wrote: "Hey Tim! welcome back and thank you for spending time with us."

Thanks, Latasha!

I'll hold my questions until others have started! LOL!

Dawn (sewergirl71) | 77 comments Just got my copy! Looking forward to it ;)

Rachel Boni (midnightcreepreads) | 41 comments I started this today and I love the beginning already! It’s written so well, you just flow right into the story right off.

message 11: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn (sewergirl71) | 77 comments Really enjoying the story so far!

This one just "got me" from the very first chapter! The emotions were so "real"!

message 13: by Kenneth (last edited Jun 13, 2020 08:57AM) (new)

The opening chapters are an absolute gut-wrenches for any parent. Did your story center around the idea of this opening or did that come later in your writing?

message 14: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Kenneth wrote: "The opening chapters are an absolute gut-wrenches for any parent. Did your story center around the idea of this opening or did that come later in your writing?"

Hey Ken. Thanks for the question. The opening was definitely the centerpiece for the entire novel. I had the idea for that scene and just explored the story from there. I really found the "what would I do?" aspect of the opening intriguing and that drove the direction of the plot.

message 15: by Kenneth (new)

Did you find the writing of a more thriller-based story easier or harder than the straight-up horror that you’re known for? What were the challenges of writing a story like this versus say a creature feature?

As a parent, did you find this story more difficult to write than some others? Or are you able to completely separate "real life" from your writing?

message 17: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Kenneth wrote: "Did you find the writing of a more thriller-based story easier or harder than the straight-up horror that you’re known for? What were the challenges of writing a story like this versus say a creatu..."

Oh, this was by far the hardest thing I've ever written. Actually, it took me about 4 full drafts (and over 3 years) to get it right. I think that's because I ran into so many issues with the twists and turns in the plot, and I wanted to ensure that everything made sense, that there were no holes. It definitely took more plotting than I've done for anything else. I think that was harder to nail that stuff down than, say, one of my creature features. Sharkwater Beach was a novel I had plotted prior to the first draft, but it didn't present those plot-based challenges.

message 18: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Meyer | 26 comments Kimberly wrote: "As a parent, did you find this story more difficult to write than some others? Or are you able to completely separate "real life" from your writing?"

Great question, Kimberly! I usually like to infuse some personal stuff into my writing. One, it makes the writing a little more fun for me, being personally invested. Two, I think it adds a layer of realism to the work, even if I'm writing something supernatural-ish. Since having a kid, I'm definitely more sensitive and squeamish when it comes to bad things happening to kids, so yeah - this was definitely harder to write than anything else. But also I think that's why I chose to write this novel in particular, because to me, nothing would be scarier than having your kid's life threatened and being virtually helpless to stop it. To answer the second part - yes, there are times I can completely separate myself from the characters and the story, but I find the more personal stories, the ones that contain bits of "me", are stories my readers seem to enjoy more.

Tim wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "As a parent, did you find this story more difficult to write than some others? Or are you able to completely separate "real life" from your writing?"

Great question, Kimberly! I u..."

Having children myself, I can wholeheartedly say this novel hit me harder than many others! The connection was very well made between the characters and the reader, imho.

Okay, finally got my review typed up!
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...