Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (last edited May 27, 2020 06:50PM) (new)

J.D. Evans (jdevansbooks) | 1 comments I do not have the time for that nonsense. Imagine all the books he could have written instead of doing that.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lagarde (deb_lagarde) | 116 comments Wow, but it doesn't surprise me what with all the clamoring for reviews posted on Amazon I see in various posts to this forum. No way would this kind of thing be allowed on the indie authors forum!

You know I'd love to get reviews of my The Prodigal Band Trilogy posted on Amazon and elsewhere and I know folks have bought the print or e-book, but if I don't get ratings or reviews, then so be it. (For one thing, it's an almost 700 page trilogy!) I myself almost never post reviews except books I read to review them on Goodreads because I said I would (and actually, I'm not much of a reader, esp. fiction. As for fiction, I write fiction for the most part).

message 3: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Morris (berniem) | 127 comments Deborah wrote: "Wow, but it doesn't surprise me what with all the clamoring for reviews posted on Amazon I see in various posts to this forum. No way would this kind of thing be allowed on the indie authors forum!..."
I would never pay for, or ask for reviews either. Reviews should happen naturally. On the other hand, it seems unfair that authors are not allowed to promote their own books. Every other industry or business in the world does this. Why this stigma against authors?

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lagarde (deb_lagarde) | 116 comments Bernie wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Wow, but it doesn't surprise me what with all the clamoring for reviews posted on Amazon I see in various posts to this forum. No way would this kind of thing be allowed on the indi..."

I agree with your statement about authors not being allowed to promote their own books, but fortunately, one can promote the books on this forum, just not the indie author forum....no links, period, and no self promotion otherwise. Mostly I use my site to promote my books, or post comments linking to the site or books. But like I said, I would never cajole someone into leaving a rating or review. That's up to them.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie Morton (juliem69) So glad to hear this. Since my last publication, I thought the rules had changed. At that point, soliciting reviews was verboten ethically and, in some cases, per the website. We all want reviews and it took months to get 73 of my book on GR and not that many on Amazon. But, the ones I got I cherished, even the bad ones, because they were written organically, by people who liked or disliked the book. I am going to publish again soon and I will stick with marketing techniques that don't involve begging people to read and review. Instead, writing interesting material that, hopefully, people will want to read and review.

message 6: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Fry | 349 comments Deborah wrote: "No way would this kind of thing be allowed on the indie authors forum!..."

Bernie wrote: "Deborah wrote: "it seems unfair that authors are not allowed to promote their own books."

Deborah wrote: "I agree with your statement about authors not being allowed to promote their own books, but fortunately, one can promote the books on this forum, just not the indie author forum....no links, period, and no self promotion otherwise. "

It sounds as if you're discussing the Support for Indie Author forum. If so, I can explain why we have the rules set the way they are, if you're curious.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2189 comments I don't know what's worse, the fact that the author catfished his entire book, website and publishing company or the fact that the person spent so much time seeing how fake he is.

message 8: by Jim (last edited Jun 02, 2020 11:37AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1072 comments Most avid readers, for whatever reason, choose to never post a rating or review. Those that do are merely expressing their personal, and therefore subjective, opinion. One reader's Best book ever! might very well be another reader's Worst book ever!, which is why readers seldom allow a review to influence their purchases one way or the other.

Some authors are unaware of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulation that requires that any review obtained by an offer of money, gift card, free book, or reciprocal review must include a disclaimer clearly stating so.