CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2020 Weekly Threads > Week 20/21 - Library Curbside and Current Reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 744 comments Mod
Hello, everyone! Apologies for no weekly thread last week. The library opened curbside so I was busy pulling holds, sorting, and taking calls. It's been crazy but we are so happy to have some normalcy return.

Basic curbside info- Chesapeake Public Library is offering curbside Monday through Sunday, 10am to 6pm at all branch locations. If you used it last time, it's the same procedure- place items on hold via the website, wait for your pickup notice, and then come to the pickup location where you will call the Circulation department who will bring your items out.

It is very important to wait for the hold pickup notification. We are currently processing an incredible volume of holds so it's taking between 24 and 72 hours to process available items. Staff are not able to go grab items off the shelf to process immediately because of this.

If you had hold items available before we closed, they should still be here unless you cancelled the hold. You can check your hold status via the library website – www.infopeake.org – or by calling your branch

So what is everyone reading this week? Any books you are excited to come get from the library? Let us know!

message 2: by Ashley (last edited May 26, 2020 11:10AM) (new)

Ashley (morwesong) | 51 comments I used curbside for the first time last week! It is a great service to be able to provide, but please stay safe! Library workers' health is the most important thing here.

I checked out seasons 9-11 of Doctor Who, so I can finally catch up on one of my favorite shows.

I just finished reading an advanced copy of The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue and wow! I think it is going to be a hit when it is released. It is about a young woman in early 18th century France who makes a Faustian deal to get out of an unwanted marriage. She asks to be free and untethered so she can really live. Since she is dealing with a dark god, she gets more than she bargains for. She becomes immortal, but every time someone turns away from her, they forget she exists. She is free because she can never be remembered. She cannot speak her own name or write anything lasting. This all changes three hundred years later when a guy working in a book store remembers her... This book was amazing, and I look forward to its release so I can see what other people think about it.

I am now reading a book about getting through procrastination and writer's block, hoping it will inspire me to get back to writing.

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab The War of Art Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield

message 3: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments I was so happy the curbside service opened up. It was the best day ever when I picked up my holds.
Right now I am listening to the first Game of Thrones on audio. So good.
Also reading Crescent City by Sarah Maas. I really like it. I think it would be considered fantasy. It’s a murder mystery in a world of fae, angels, vampires & other creatures.
I am reading some trashy romance novels when I can’t concentrate so much & need something that doesn’t require a lot of thinking. I don’t mean to insult romance books because I like them, but I’m not sure what the correct category is. Trying not to say erotic romance novels. Ha ha.
Did anyone else go crazy putting books on hold? I read one of the book recommendation magazines the library puts out. It was from back in February & suddenly I had 9 books on hold.
Hope everyone else is ready some good books!

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 471 comments I'm currently switching back and forth between the biography about Rachel Maddow (big surprise, right?), Pride and Prejudice (online bookclub book), and Runaways, vol. 1 (on Hoopla). I've also got couple of books that just came out that I want to go pick up at B&N.

Rachel Maddow A Biography by Lisa Rogak Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Runaways, Vol. 1 Pride and Joy by Brian K. Vaughan
Something to Talk About by Meryl Wilsner

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello. I am currently reading Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks. I am glad to hear the library is getting back online with its service. I have very much missed visiting. Your electronic resources, however, have made all the difference. Thank you again for everything :)!