Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Murder at the Breakers (Gilded Newport Mysteries #1)
This topic is about Murder at the Breakers
Archive - Group Reads > Murder at the Breakers by Alyssa Maxwell - June 2020

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hello, fellow Crime, Mystery & Thriller readers! This discussion is about, Murder at the Breakers by Alyssa Maxwell your discussion leader Icewineanne

Please note: If you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
Murder at the Breakers (Gilded Newport Mysteries #1) by Alyssa Maxwell Murder at the Breakers (Gilded Newport Mysteries, #1) by Alyssa Maxwell Murder at the Breakers by Alyssa Maxwell

SUMMARY

As the nineteenth century comes to a close, the illustrious Vanderbilt family dominates Newport, Rhode Island, high society. But when murder darkens a glittering affair at the Vanderbilt summer home, reporter Emma Cross learns that sometimes the actions of the cream of society can curdle one's blood . . .

Karen (karen94066) | 260 comments This was the first book of the series, and I always like to start at the beginning. This had a nice plot and was well written. I deduct for the romance. In this case it did not seem appropriate to the character, who tries to be independent and self-sustaining. I might read on to see if the rest of this series is mystery or romance.

message 3: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited May 30, 2020 09:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Icewineanne | 651 comments Mod
Karen, I read this exactly a year ago & really enjoyed it.
The historic Newport setting was captivating and the romance didn’t bother me. During those times, romance, leading to marriage would have been the main goal for most of the young ladies, especially as women were defined & earned respect in society in large part by marrying well.
We’ll have to see how it plays out in future books.

Susan | 14 comments I read this last week, and although I liked the premise, I thought that it needed a thorough edit. I agree with Karen about the romance; it just came out of nowhere and seemed just shoehorned in like a beta reader asked where the romance was, so she just tacked it on to the story.

message 5: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2020 08:23PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sorry it didn’t work for you Susan. Maxwell was a romance writer first so she’s probably aiming for a romantic suspense series but for me the relationship didn’t overshadow the mystery.

message 6: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Who were your favourite & least favourite characters in this book?

Jenny (diggensjenny) I let you know Icewineanne. I started to read this book today.

message 8: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Looking forward to your thoughts Jenny 🐥

Jenny (diggensjenny) Icewineanne, I enjoyed reading this book. One of the best cozy I have read for a while. I am with you Icewineanne the historical setting help me to engage with this book.

message 10: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny wrote: "Icewineanne, I enjoyed reading this book. One of the best cozy I have read for a while. I am with you Icewineanne the historical setting help me to engage with this book."

So glad you enjoyed this one Jenny!
I really liked Emmaline’s character. And although she was related to the Vanderbilts’, she was still on the outside looking in. I visited Newport last summer and took a tour of the Vanderbilt mansion. It was absolutely breathtaking, both inside and out, built on a cliff overlooking the majestic Atlantic Ocean.
Can’t wait to read the next book in this series Murder at Marble House!
🤗