YA Buddy Reads Community discussion

Buddy Groups > A Darker Shade of Magic (Starting from 27th June)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 114 comments We are going to start "A Darker Shade of Magic" from 27th June.

If you are joining this Buddy Read, comment below! Everyone is welcome! If you have already read it, you can join the discussions as well.

message 2: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments can't wait to start! i'll be joining of course

message 3: by yanitta☏ (new)

yanitta☏ (yanitta) | 70 comments Mod
After this buddy-read are you planning to read the sequel? Because I finished the first book, and I'm procrastinating...

message 4: by Mahi (last edited Jun 01, 2020 11:06PM) (new)

Mahi | 114 comments Obviously :)

message 5: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments ꧁yanitta꧂ wrote: "After this buddy-read are you planning to read the sequel? Because I finished the first book, and I'm procrastinating..."

yeah we will, i hope you can join us! glad you enjoyed the first book so much :))

message 6: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments I am joining! Been waiting to read V.E. Schwab for too long!

message 7: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Branwenn wrote: "I am joining! Been waiting to read V.E. Schwab for too long!"

yay! this will be a great buddy read :)) and same here ahah, i keep putting off reading her books but i really should read them

message 8: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments Glad I am not alone in this :-D

message 9: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 114 comments Darce and Branwenn, Can we start the read as per the scheduled date (27th June)??

message 10: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments Sure

message 11: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments yep sure :)) that's today for me!
do we want to read a certain number of chapters a day? they're quite short chapters so let me know how many you guys think we should read a day :)) i'm thinking maybe 7 or something but you guys let me know your thoughts

message 12: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments I haven't been that into the story to know for sure but I might be a little behind you because of my chronic migraine condition (I'm reading it on epub form and too much time in front of a screen is an issue for me). Bht if they are short then why not

message 13: by Darcey (last edited Jun 27, 2020 05:03AM) (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Branwenn wrote: "I haven't been that into the story to know for sure but I might be a little behind you because of my chronic migraine condition (I'm reading it on epub form and too much time in front of a screen i..."

oh dang if reading off a screen for a long time is a problem then we can read a shorter number of chapters a day if you want :)) or we can just go free for all and you can read to wherever, then put your chapter number down and put your comments in a spoiler format. for example:

Part VI, Chapter II
(view spoiler)

message 14: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments let me know what you think, if we want to read a certain number of chapters a day then i'll probably read today's number plus tomorrow's number tomorrow :))

message 15: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 114 comments I finished part 2. I'm good with either 5 or 7 chapters a day, but it would be better if we can fix a certain number. Branwenn, Let us know the number of chapters u want to read per day.

message 16: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Mahi wrote: "I finished part 2. I'm good with either 5 or 7 chapters a day, but it would be better if we can fix a certain number. Branwenn, Let us know the number of chapters u want to read per day."

ok cool, i'll read 7 chapters and then we can change the number if necessary. thoughts so far, Mahi?

message 17: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 114 comments Darce wrote: "Branwenn wrote: "I haven't been that into the story to know for sure but I might be a little behind you because of my chronic migraine condition (I'm reading it on epub form and too much time in fr..."

As i read the first two parts, i want to discuss about the spoiler which happened at the end of chapter 5. (view spoiler)

message 18: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments I think 5 chapters will work better for me

message 19: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments I'm still at Chapter 1 and I am in love with the writing style so far

message 20: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 114 comments Darce wrote: "Mahi wrote: "I finished part 2. I'm good with either 5 or 7 chapters a day, but it would be better if we can fix a certain number. Branwenn, Let us know the number of chapters u want to read per da..."

Basic concept and setup is interesting but the proceedings are slow.

message 21: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments I agree. Actually I don't mind a slowly unfolding story as long as the plot actually starts somewhere.
And thank you both for offering to help me out of this tight corner.
This kind of headache is just a bit too tiring and energy consuming, so I might be commenting the way you showed me if a crisis occurs.

message 22: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 114 comments Yeah, the writing is pretty good.

message 23: by Mahi (last edited Jun 27, 2020 06:05AM) (new)

Mahi | 114 comments Protagonist name is Kell. I'm not sure about the book, but i love that name :))

message 24: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments I like Kell's eyes and that coat! It must be pretty handy too

message 25: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Mahi wrote: "As i read the first two parts, i want to discuss about the spoiler which happened at the end of chapter 5. (view spoiler)"

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Branwenn wrote: "I think 5 chapters will work better for me"

yep sure :))
i've stopped at Part III, Chapter II (7 chapters in) so i'll only read 3 chapters today so we're all in sync :))

message 27: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Branwenn wrote: "I'm still at Chapter 1 and I am in love with the writing style so far"

yeah the writing style is so cool! i can see why VE Schwab is so popular

message 28: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Branwenn wrote: "And thank you both for offering to help me out of this tight corner. This kind of headache is just a bit too tiring and energy consuming, so I might be commenting the way you showed me if a crisis occurs."

yep that's completely fine :)) happy to help!

message 29: by Darcey (last edited Jun 27, 2020 05:45PM) (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Mahi wrote: "Protagonist name is Kell. I'm not sure about the book, but i love that name :))"

ahaha yeah his name is so cool!! is reminds me of the name Kelsier ;))

message 30: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Branwenn wrote: "I like Kell's eyes and that coat! It must be pretty handy too"

so true, i wish i had a coat like that ahah.

message 31: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments so where are you up to now, Mahi and Branwenn?
so far i think the story is really interesting, there are quite a few different characters but i'm sure they'll all tie together well, and the magic parallel Londons seem pretty damn cool. do you think that Enthusiast (Ned i think?) will reappear (if you've read up to his section yet)?

message 32: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments I'm halfway through Part IV The White Throne, Chapter I and its gonna be the last one for today for me.
Lila is my new crush and I'm half convinced that Holland will be a sort of villain/anti-hero character

message 33: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments As for Ned I am sure he'll reappear. Such stupid and ambitious characters are bound to cause trouble.

message 34: by yanitta☏ (new)

Branwenn wrote: "I'm halfway through Part IV The White Throne, Chapter I and its gonna be the last one for today for me.
Lila is my new crush and I'm half convinced that Holland will be a sort of villain/anti-hero ..."

I read the book last month, and YES!! Can I date Lila!? And Holland is one of my favorite characters in the book.

message 35: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Cool, I’ve stopped at the end of Part VI, Chapter I as well!! I’ll read the next 5 chapters later today :))
And oh my god yeah Lila seems badass and I love it!

message 36: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 114 comments Darce and Branwenn, I'm a bit busy till tmrw due to the project deadlines, So i'm not able finish the chapters. Please continue the read and i will try to catch up from Wednesday. Apologies for the inconvenience.

message 37: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments No inconvenience at all! I'm still in high school and we are continuing the lessons in the summer due to the lockdown, so I get the pressure for time. Hope you don't miss your deadline Mahi

message 38: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Yeah of course, no problem at all Mahi, good luck with everything!

message 39: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments ahhh i read the next 5 chapters! god those twins are crazy! crazy psychotic! that poor boy.... and Holland....

message 40: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments That's so true! I'm at Chapter IV Part IV and I was so freaked out at the sadistic nature of those creepy-ass twins. They did send shivers down my spine, not through physical violence but through psychological one. They're absolutely horrible

message 41: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments The way Athos treated this boy made me wanna scream! And now that I know a bit more about Holland I honestly can't help but sympathize a little. I'm sure he's gonna get a good arc or at least I hope so

message 42: by yanitta☏ (new)

I personally liked the Dane twins too. Not judging by their actions but how the characters were developed. I don’t really get scared or haunted by things, but the Dane twins were downright creepy!

message 43: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments I totally agree! And lord, Lila is officially my new love! I like her character more by the second!

message 44: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Yeah Athos is freaking twisted! I mean they both are, Athos and his sister. And you’re right, Branwenn, I can’t help but feel sorry for Holland, he must live a horrific life. I’m excited to see his development like you said....

And god yeah Lila’s a babe, I’m so ready to see her kick those boys asses hehe

message 45: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Part V, Chapter V
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments Probably the best spoiler in my life

message 47: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments (chose to read the spoiler, just clarifying)

message 48: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 179 comments Branwenn wrote: "Probably the best spoiler in my life
(chose to read the spoiler, just clarifying)"

hehehe i was so shocked but i should have expected it from someone as badass as Lila ;))
and cool thanks i was a bit freaked for a second because i thought the spoilers hadn't been marked correctly but i'm glad you chose to read them :))

message 49: by Darcey (last edited Jun 30, 2020 09:21PM) (new)

Darcey | 179 comments where is everyone up to? i feel like i'm ahead so i'm just going to stop where i am and wait to hear where you guys are up to, i'm at Part VI, Chapter II (this is getting pretty damn intense by the way, i'm loving it!).

message 50: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 114 comments It looks like both of you are enjoying this book. I will read this book some other time and hope that i will get a chance to buddy read with you for some other book :)

« previous 1