Read to Win the War discussion

The Miracle of Dunkirk (Wordsworth Collection)
This topic is about The Miracle of Dunkirk
Past Book Discussions > Club Updates and Next Selection: Dunkirk!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wesley (last edited May 25, 2020 03:50PM) (new)

Wesley | 74 comments Mod
Hello Readers!

We have three things to do today:
- Remember our fallen soldiers on Memorial Day
- Celebrate the reopening of the National WWII Museum
- Look forward to the next selections for our book club!

Last week, we wrapped up our club's first book, Faster by Neal Bascomb, with an interesting author talk that you can review on our videos page. Now we are ready to move on to our next selection. In fact, we will be announcing our next three selections, so our members will be able to look ahead and prepare for their favorite reads. We hope you can join us for all three!

Before announcing those next books, here's an update on our club's evolving format. As a new club, we are still working out how to best provide readers with a unique and engaging experience. Here are some of the main points we are working on:

- To keep the content interesting, we will be rotating our selections between nonfiction, fiction, and graphic novels. These will include classics, popular books, and some obscure titles as well.
- We will try to announce the next few selections at once, so you are able to plan ahead more easily.
- Scheduling will be roughly one book a month, but this will be flexible based on our needs, planning for live events, etc.
- Most books will be enhanced with discussion boards on goodreads, as well as live video discussions with museum historians and curators.
- We will also try to include contextual resources from our museum collections, such as oral history interviews.
- We still have plans for future live events with authors and other related figures from our reading.
- Potential goals for the future include a separate YA component, and in-person book club meetings at the museum library.

Now on to the next reads! As mentioned, these will be roughly one selection a month, with a more detailed reading and event schedule updated as we go along.

June: For our June read, we are remembering the anniversary of the Battle of Dunkirk, which took place May 26-June 4, 1940. We will actually be analyzing two books in tandem: the classic history, The Miracle of Dunkirk: The True Story of Operation Dynamo by Walter Lord, and the more recently researched, Dunkirk: The History Behind the Major Motion Picture by Joshua Levine. No requirement to read both, they are intended to supplement our discussions of the history of the Battle of Dunkirk.

July: For our first fiction selection, we will be reading the classic novel, Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

August: And for our first graphic novel, we will be reading the all-timer, Maus by Art Spiegelman.

Again, the calendar is very tentative and only representative of our upcoming reading itinerary. Exact schedules for reading checkpoints and events will be released with each selection as we read along. Some scheduled selections may be postponed for unscheduled selections due to live event scheduling, availability, and other unforeseen factors.

So stay tuned for a reading schedule for the Dunkirk books. In the meantime, I hope this list of upcoming reads will spark your interest, and I look forward to reading and discussing them with you!

message 2: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) Great work and very much appreciate your efforts. I will look forward to the events scheduled and the discussions.

message 3: by Wesley (new)

Wesley | 74 comments Mod
'Aussie Rick' wrote: "Great work and very much appreciate your efforts. I will look forward to the events scheduled and the discussions."

Thanks Aussie Rick, glad to have you here and looking forward to discussing these upcoming selections with you!

message 4: by Janice (new)

Janice (lillyzackmom) | 4 comments I've always wanted to read Slaughterhouse-Five so thanks for the motivation!! And I'm looking forward to Maus....I've seen it at my mother in law's house and keep meaning to borrow it from her.

message 5: by Wesley (new)

Wesley | 74 comments Mod
Janice wrote: "I've always wanted to read Slaughterhouse-Five so thanks for the motivation!! And I'm looking forward to Maus....I've seen it at my mother in law's house and keep meaning to borrow it from her."

Hi Janice, I'm so glad you're excited for these classic selections, looking forward to discussing them with you!