Vegan Book Club discussion

May 2020: Tin Heart > Discussion Questions

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (trisstessa) | 574 comments Mod
If you've finished Tin Heart, we'd love to hear your thoughts!

Feel free to answer any of the following questions!

- Marlowe and her family are vegan. What did you think of the vegan representation in the novel.
- In the novel, we see an enemies-to-lovers story between a vegan and a butcher/butcher's apprentice. Would you ever consider dating someone with such a profession?
- Did you find any of the characters especially relatable? Which ones? Why?
- Marlowe's mother frequently accuses Marlowe of being selfish whenever she stands up for herself or does what she wants for a change. Do you think she's right?
- The ending is a bit up-in-the-air regarding Marlowe's relationship with Carmen. Did you like this? Do you see the two becoming friends in the future?
- What did you think of the novel? How would you rate it?

message 2: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (trisstessa) | 574 comments Mod
1. I was really happy with the vegan representation overall. Marlowe's mother could very easily be viewed as "extreme," but you know what? She's right. So non-vegans might not like her, but I respect her passion.

2. I don't think I'd be able to be in a relationship with someone who does that. I wouldn't be able to get it out of my head. It's too disturbing.

3. In some ways, I could relate to Marlowe. I always felt like an outcast in high school, and I generally struggled to figure out who I am (and I'm still figuring it out, to a degree). But I think I also related to her mom in the passionate department.

4. I 100% was on Marlowe's side...most of the time. Her mom blatantly disregarded her wants and wishes, which is pretty disrespectful. And also expected her to be responsible for Pip all the time, which...you can't put that on a teenager. She has to live her life too. But when Marlowe yelled at Pip...that was going too far, but I still get it.

5. I'm on the fence with it. On one hand, I think it's a really interesting way to leave the story. On the other, I kinda like things settled all neat and tidy lol. I do like to think they come together and are able to help each other cope and everything.

6. I liked it a lot. I thought it was a really sweet story, not too serious and not too comedic, which was nice. I rated it between 3.75 and 4 stars.