Play Book Tag discussion

The Book of Longings
This topic is about The Book of Longings
May 2020: Other Books > The Book of Longings - Sue Monk Kidd 3.5/5

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1476 comments I'm the most irreligious person you will ever meet, but I love biblical fiction (and frankly, the Holy Land) so it's all very confusing. What's not confusing is sheer torment felt when you hear a young girl describe Jesus (that Jesus, God Almighty) as giving her a tingle between her thighs. No. Just no. Not on any level. No.

I wasn't sure if I was going to make it through the book. I tried others by Sue Monk Kidd, and I'm not really a fan.

But I kept going, and the book did gradually get better (I mean, nowhere to go but up when you start your book with Jesus turning someone on). Kidd made some interpretations of the bible story that I found interesting. When you boil it down though, the story is about Ana and her desire for empowerment in 20BCE which seems a bit forward thinking of her to say the least.

The latter part of the book was quite good if you can suspend a lot of disbelief, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to anybody. It was not great.

message 2: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 8278 comments I suppose I made a good choice in taking it off my TBR! Charlotte is reading it now, it is in the book with on it. So I will be curious to hear her thoughts as well. Nicole, just love your negative reviews.