Reading the Chunksters discussion

The Count of Monte Cristo > The Count of Monte Cristo - Chapters 24 -29

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Librarian (ellenlibrarian) | 167 comments I'm further ahead but something that struck me today when I was reading is true from before Chapter 24 - and that is the role of disinformation in the book. There's the disinformation that sent Dantes to prison and the disinformation he uses to his own advantage afterwards.

It struck me because disinformation is such a big topic today.

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Librarian (ellenlibrarian) | 167 comments I believe the situation with Caderousse and the jewel becomes clearer later on so I won't say anything about that now.

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Newton | 52 comments Lorna wrote: "Do you think Dante was too generous? Should have Caderousse been punished for not speaking up?..."

I have fallen behind but will catch up over the next couple of days! I think that Dantes now has so much wealth that the diamond is small potatoes to him. He considers it well worth the expense to get the true story of what happened after his arrest--that, to Dantes, is probably worth much more than the diamond. I believe he also sees at least some real remorse for his actions in Caderousse. He was never a major player in this conspiracy. I am really looking forward to Dantes' revenge on these villains, and am curious to see how he treats Mercedes. Where I'm at right now, it sounds like he is disappointed and angry that she didn't stay faithful to him, but when he reflects, will he still feel that she should have died alone, even with no reasonable expectation that he would ever be freed? That's a little harsh! Like Dantes' father said, his incarceration was like death, as far as his loved ones were concerned. They would never see him again. If Dantes' father believed that Edmond might one day be released, no doubt he would have held on and stayed alive instead of giving up in despair.

It's interesting that all of this "lowly," uneducated seamen have ended up with titles and wealth! I didn't think it was that easy to change social classes at that time. Poor Monsieur Morrel! I'm sure that Dantes is going to save him from financial ruin. He is one of the only true friends Dantes had!

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan Yes, this is a book of revenge. Dumas is very clever in showing Edmond, disguised as a priest act with generosity while hiding his detective work as he builds his case(s) for revenge.