Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > How long do I wait for the email about the librarian status?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (new)

Odette Brethouwer (odettebrethouwer) | 378 comments Hello,

Last week, I applies to become a librarian. After the test I've explained why I want to become one. I know that if I don't hear anything, I'm not in. I was wondering if someone can say the normal reaction time on this and how long my hopes may stay up?

Thanks!

message 2: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 3177 comments I think no one here knows for sure, sorry :-(

message 3: by Odette (new)

Odette Brethouwer (odettebrethouwer) | 378 comments @Moloch Well thanks for letting me know that there is no way to escape the unknown ;)

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments I don't know if it's still the case, but in the past if you tried to re-apply and were able to do so, it meant your application was rejected the first time around. Otherwise, it would tell you your application was still being processed.

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14195 comments Adding to Alex's comment: usually the approval process takes at least several weeks, maybe longer now.

message 6: by Odette (new)

Odette Brethouwer (odettebrethouwer) | 378 comments @Iethe Thanks for that! That places it a bit in a perspective!

message 7: by Odette (new)

Odette Brethouwer (odettebrethouwer) | 378 comments On my profile it does not yet say I'm a librarian (no email yet either btw), but I am in the lop list of librarians with my edits AND I spotted some librarian notes on the page of a book..

message 8: by Odette (new)

Odette Brethouwer (odettebrethouwer) | 378 comments Thanks for your comment C. I know that edits don't make you a librarian, but I think it's weird I get to see librarian notes now? That's what confused me. But I'll just wait it out a bit longer I guess :)

message 9: by Odette (new)

Odette Brethouwer (odettebrethouwer) | 378 comments @Alex thanks for that tip, it's a good way to know it's still pending! It is, in my case, I just checked and got the Application submitted page so :)

message 10: by Renske (new)

Renske | 11240 comments Where are you seeing those notes? Notes in the book description can be seen by everyone. The other notes, with the yellow background are only visible on the edit or combine pages.

message 11: by Lyria (new)

Lyria E. (lefpol) | 2 comments Odette wrote: "Hello,

Last week, I applies to become a librarian. After the test I've explained why I want to become one. I know that if I don't hear anything, I'm not in. I was wondering if someone can say the ..."

Hello Odette! I applied to be a Librarian two weeks ago, and before 5 days it wasn't yet rejected/accepted. I checked before some minutes, and it was rejected. As a result, I assume two weeks or longer is the expected reaction time. Good luck!

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott | 23208 comments It takes them a while to be certain there are no scandals in your past.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily | 15010 comments As an aside, there is a large backlog right now of Support queries and there is probably one for librarian applications as well given the pandemic, people working from home, etc. If you are able to reapply that means your initial application was rejected, but try try again.

message 14: by Odette (new)

Odette Brethouwer (odettebrethouwer) | 378 comments For example on the bookpage of the new hungergames book https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5... I see the librarian note about more than one author with that name in the database..

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott | 23208 comments That's different, it's viewable by anyone.

message 16: by Odette (new)

Odette Brethouwer (odettebrethouwer) | 378 comments And I second that C., I don't get why applying again would make sense, my reasons are not going to change or anything.. Also, I think it's a miss that people don't hear they're denied and why.. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for now :)

message 17: by Odette (new)

Odette Brethouwer (odettebrethouwer) | 378 comments @Scott Ah, oke, clear, I never noticed it before :)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5557 comments Odette wrote: "And I second that C., I don't get why applying again would make sense, my reasons are not going to change or anything.. Also, I think it's a miss that people don't hear they're denied and why.. I'l..."

I was accepted on my second try! :)

& although your reasons may not change GR's might. They may not need librarian with your skill set atm. Plus, as another librarian has mentioned above, we don't know what problems the pandemic is causing GR staff.

Good luck!

message 19: by Odette (new)

Odette Brethouwer (odettebrethouwer) | 378 comments I still see that application submitted page, after almost two months! Curious just to find out when they will make a decision by now..

message 20: by Emily (last edited Jul 22, 2020 04:59AM) (new)

Emily | 15010 comments Odette wrote: "Curious just to find out when they will make a decision by now.."

We can't speculate on how long it will take beyond what has been mentioned in other comments above. There really is a huge backlog due to high email and application volume. They probably don't know how long it will take either.

message 21: by Odette (new)

Odette Brethouwer (odettebrethouwer) | 378 comments GUESS WHAT

I GOT AN EMAIL

I'M EXCEPTED

YAY

You will be seeing me more here :)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5557 comments Odette wrote: "GUESS WHAT

I GOT AN EMAIL

I'M EXCEPTED

YAY

You will be seeing me more here :)"

Congratulations Odette!

message 23: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14195 comments Odette wrote: "GUESS WHAT

I GOT AN EMAIL

I'M EXCEPTED

YAY

Congrats, Odette! :)

message 24: by Anjum (new)

Anjum Haz (anjum219) | 1 comments Odette wrote: "GUESS WHAT

I GOT AN EMAIL

I'M EXCEPTED

YAY

Congrats Odette! I have recently done the Goodreads librarian quiz and was excited for the verdict email. Seeing your case, I am hopeful that it is probably taking long for my case too.

message 25: by Charlott (new)

Charlott Stenberg | 29 comments Anjum wrote: "Odette wrote: "GUESS WHAT

I GOT AN EMAIL

I'M EXCEPTED

YAY

Congrats Odette! I have recently done the Goodreads librarian quiz and was excited for the verdict..."

I'm also waiting for my verdict. I hope they will be able to speed the process up a bit. I have a lot of books I want to add.