YA Buddy Reads Community discussion

Buddy Groups > Six of Crows Buddy Read (Starting May 25, 2020)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by yanitta☏ (last edited May 22, 2020 08:01PM) (new)

yanitta☏ (yanitta) | 70 comments Mod
We will be reading Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo on Monday, May 25, 2020! You can read as much as you want and comment your discussions below.

If you are joining this Buddy Read, comment below! Everyone is welcome! If you have already read it, you can join the discussions as well.

We can talk about Six of Crows as long as there is a spoiler tag, or it's kept spoiler-free.

Enjoy!

message 2: by Tianna (new)

Tianna hope (tiannasbookplace) great. I am excited! I have been wanted to start this book, but I have been procrastinating.

message 3: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 114 comments I've read SOC. I'd love to join this fantastic discussion.

message 4: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (kaitlynreadskaitlyn) | 6 comments I think I will join in

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) So I’ve already read this book so I think I’ll just talk about it with u guys as u read it:)

message 6: by ps ❀ (new)

ps ❀ Hii, I would love to join! I've been procrastinating with this book for a few days, can't wait to get back into it :)

message 7: by yanitta☏ (last edited May 24, 2020 07:36PM) (new)

Hi! This Buddy-Read starts now! Actually, it's Monday in Thailand, but those who are in other timezones can start later. I'm so excited to talk about this book with you guys. Let's enjoy Six of Crows together!

message 8: by Tianna (new)

Tianna hope (tiannasbookplace) I just started reading the book, but I am a bit confused. do people have powers in this world?

message 9: by Mahi (last edited May 25, 2020 10:59AM) (new)

Mahi | 114 comments No Spoilers....Leigh Bardugo had written Grisha trilogy followed by Six of Crows. Though Six of crows is not a sequel to the Grisha trilogy, you can get confused and there are some characters and certain things that you can't understand If you didn't read Grisha trilogy. You can read SOC without any knowledge of Grisha trilogy, but it is better to read the trilogy first. (It's like watching infinity war and Endgame without any knowledge of prior Marvel movies.)

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) Just a heads up, there is little world building and magic system explaining in this book, so you guys might find t helpful to do s search on it.

message 11: by yanitta☏ (new)

I’m really confused, too. But I guess I can do some research. I have Shadow and Bone on my shelf, but I never had the time to get into it since SoC seems more interesting. But I think I’ll read it soon.

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) yeah, I think Leigh might have a guide won her website about the different types of magic and stuff but idk. I personally disliked this book, so I can’t say I put in an effort trying to find more information on it.

message 13: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 114 comments Many people don't read Grisha trilogy because the 2nd and 3rd books of the trilogy are not good (my opinion). Don't read Grisha trilogy after SOC as there are many spoilers of the trilogy in SOC, and you will get disappointed for sure. If you want to read the latest books of Leigh Bardugo the you must read trilogy as they are direct sequels to the trilogy. However, if you just want to read SOC then you can simply read the synopsis of the trilogy.

message 14: by yanitta☏ (new)

http://www.grishaverse.com/world/
https://thegrishaverse.fandom.com/wik...

Here are a few links I found. Maybe you'll find it helpful!

message 15: by yanitta☏ (new)

Btw, I was browsing Leigh's website, and i took a 'Which SoC Character are you?' quiz haha... I got Kaz! I guess I'm happy? I'll put the link here in case anybody wants to try it.

http://www.grishaverse.com/extras/whi...

message 16: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 114 comments There are 2-3 big spoilers in the second link. Just skim the page but don't perform a deep dive.

message 17: by yanitta☏ (new)

Mahi wrote: "There are 2-3 big spoilers in the second link. Just skim the page but don't perform a deep dive."

Oh okay. Thanks! ;)

message 18: by yanitta☏ (new)

Hi! I don't really know what the 'Dregs' mean? I guess I missed the definition in the first few chapters....

message 19: by Emilio (new)

Emilio  Socías | 2 comments ꧁yanitta꧂ wrote: "Hi! I don't really know what the 'Dregs' mean? I guess I missed the definition in the first few chapters...."

Dregs is the name of the gang run by Kaz

message 20: by yanitta☏ (new)

What did you guys think of Six of Crows?

message 21: by Mahi (new)

Mahi | 114 comments In my opinion, SOC is good but overhyped. It's not as good as everyone raved.

message 22: by yanitta☏ (new)

Yes, I agree! I read so many reviews of SoC before I started the book and that made me kind of force myself to like it. It's a good book, but it doesn't live up to the hype.

message 23: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments I personally love both Soc and CK but agree that it was overhyped. There are definitely way better books of the kimd

message 24: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments *kind

message 25: by yanitta☏ (new)

I personally love heist plots, but the reason why I felt like SoC wasn’t well-done was because the actual heist started at about 50-60% of the book. And I guess the purpose of the first half was to make the characters likable, but I found Matthias really shallow, and I wasn’t so fond of the other 5.

message 26: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments I begun to like Matthias in CK, he was a total douchebag for the better part of SoC.
But my liking for him didn't last long, unfortunately (trying to avoid spoilers here)

message 27: by Mahi (last edited Jun 08, 2020 01:03AM) (new)

Mahi | 114 comments I didn't liked Nina and Matthias, but loved Kaz and Wylan. CK is far better than SOC, in my opinion.

message 28: by yanitta☏ (new)

I’m feeling hesitant about whether I should read CK. I have it on my shelf, but there are a lot of mixed reviews and I’m not so sure...

message 29: by Raphaella (new)

Raphaella | 37 comments I totally agree with Mahi. CK is way better and it gets right into the plot, much unlike SoC, where we got to the actual heist somewhere after the middle of the book. You should read it anyways, just to form an opinion for yourself. That's what I always do when I see many mixed reviews, it's the best way to know exactly what a book's actually like