Arlington Public Library discussion

Adult Reading Challenge > Read the Book Version of a Movie You’ve Seen.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Arlington Public Library (arlingtontxpubliclibrary) | 42 comments Mod
Tell us what you’re reading and what you think of the book.

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Boring | 1 comments With the new Dune movie approaching soon, I decided to read the classic science fiction novel, Dune, written by Frank Herbert. It has already been adapted to the big screen in 1984 by director, David Lynch. Herbert's novel innovated the entire genre of science fiction and is deemed as a classic by many critics. Dune remains relevant today with its political fight over resources and people. Giant sand worms, the fight for water, courageous and inspiring characters and quotes, what isn't there to love? Without Dune, Star Wars may have been very different... if existing at all.

message 3: by Karrie (new)

Karrie Hermance | 2 comments I read The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. It was an easy read, with lots of emotions. Sparks describes New Bern as a peaceful small town that I would love to visit. While reading The Notebook, I pictured Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling as the main characters. Sparks does a great job of writing a beautiful love story, and I would recommend you have a box of tissues nearby.

message 4: by David (new)

David Jackson | 1 comments I read The Paper Chase by John Jay Osborne Jr. It’s a story about James Hart, a student trying to survive his first year of law school in 1971. The first words in the novel are Professor Kingsfield, introducing the constant third party in Hart’s life as he falls in love with Susan. It a story that reveals what a law student goes through from dealing with other students, no sleep, love, obsession and that one professor. Kingsfield. A quick read I would recommend.

message 5: by Kendall (new)

Kendall | 3 comments For this week’s challenge, I read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I read the trilogy previously and began rereading it again in preparation for The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I enjoy The Hunger Games, and the first book is my favorite. It’s fast-paced and filled with action and suspense from beginning to end. The movie adaptation is pretty good, too, and the first movie is also my favorite. There were some parts from the book that were modified or left out, but that’s understandable since its hard to cram an entire book into a 1.5-2 hour movie. Overall, though, it was great, and I would definitely recommend that people read the book (and the entire trilogy) and then watch the movies.

message 6: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Berney | 2 comments https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I read Perks of Being a Wallflower, and I would recommend it to someone looking for a easy read that makes you rethink about the “quiet” people you may come into contact with.

message 7: by Terrie (new)

Terrie (mcmath) | 10 comments David wrote: "I read The Paper Chase by John Jay Osborne Jr. It’s a story about James Hart, a student trying to survive his first year of law school in 1971. The first words in the novel are Professor Kingsfield..."

Did you know that was also a TV series in the 1970s? Don't remember much about it - other than I liked it.

message 8: by Terrie (new)

Terrie (mcmath) | 10 comments I read "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey. It was required reading when my older siblings were in high school, but not my class. I remember overhearing teachers talking about how excited students got when they watched the film - so I figured I would check it out.

I recommend this book. I wish I read it in a book club (or in high school) so I had other people to discuss it with. So much to discuss - how our society treats people that are different, how people of color are treated, how women are treated.

Mary L. Montgomery | 4 comments I loved the movie The Horse Whisperer which I felt far outstripped the book in human relationships as well as those with animals. The book emphasized the romance between humans at the expense of the relationships that evolve due to the connection with horses.

message 10: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Scardino | 2 comments The Godfather. When the book first came out I was not allowed to read it because it was racy and violent, so said my parents. When i become of age I read the book and it was, and still is, FABULOUS. Then came the movie....And it is , still , FABULOUS. Being Italian it represents most of what I grew up with...Family is most important, you were REQUIRED to go to Mass every Sunday then family dinner at grandmas....Yelling , like sauce, is a staple.Gender roles were clearly defined...women, home with the babies and did not question men and their roles.....it is one of my top favorite books AND movies.....