Middle Grade Madness! discussion

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
This topic is about The Lightning Thief
Goodquiz > Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief Goodquiz - June 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kadi, Creator (last edited May 25, 2020 04:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi P (kadi_p) | 2875 comments Mod

message 2: by Kadi, Creator (last edited Jul 22, 2020 07:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Woohoo!! Our first Goodquiz!

If you're wondering how a Goodquiz works it's pretty simple:
- Everyone reads their copy of The Lightning Thief at their own pace.
- We can all discuss it below (remember to use spoiler tags for spoilers!)
- On 20th June I'll release the quiz.
- The quiz will include hard and easy questions based on the book.
- No, you don't have to read along with us to do the quiz but it's fun to!

The Quiz:
https://forms.gle/BfqXfmzSkmfgJq7x5

Any questions? Ask below!

Ilsen Leon | 411 comments Yay!!! I’m so excited!

message 4: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Me too! Hopefully if you're reading along with us we could maybe improve that 3 star rating...😂👌🏻

Ilsen Leon | 411 comments 😂😂😂😂😂😂

My reread didn’t go so well. I used to like it but Percy’s human side 👀 I can’t wait to get into my rants XD

message 6: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ilsen wrote: "😂😂😂😂😂😂

My reread didn’t go so well. I used to like it but Percy’s human side 👀 I can’t wait to get into my rants XD"

Honestly I can't wait for you to get into the rants too. I am so ready to trigger these rants😂
Also, this is one of the only books we've read/are going to read for the group so far that I actually own a physical copy of and I think that will motivate me to actually read it and read it relatively fast too. That and the fact that I have to make the quiz so I really do have to read it😂😂

Ilsen Leon | 411 comments I own all of them except the last one. I bought the last one but I realized after I bought it, there was a huge rip on the front cover. Like half of the cover was about to be ripped off. By the time I realized, it was too late to exchange. So eventually I’ll buy the last one XD

message 8: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

RIP your last book. RIP in 2 ways I guess😂 I am so funny😂😂(I really just amuse myself). This is why you always gotta check the book over really carefully before you buy it! I literally can’t be advising that though because I rarely buy books. But also you should’ve taken it back for an exchange! Why was it too late?

Ilsen Leon | 411 comments It was like weeks when I realized it. Because it was just sitting in my boyfriend’s car. Anyways I just donated it but I’ll just get another one.

message 10: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oooh. One thing that I kind of love about the books is that they have so many different cover versions so there's like 3 different cover arts just for the English editions.

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments thankfully the different cover editions for the PJ & the olympians series are all pretty in their own ways. although now it's nearly impossible to find the original covers and that's what I own two books in and i hate mismatched sets😬

but they're coming out with/have come out with new covers for the heroes of olympus series, and they're so ugly😭

Kostas (kostasbooks) | 33 comments You announced this just at the right time. I was planning to reread anyway after rick announced the new series!

Kostas (kostasbooks) | 33 comments jessica wrote: "thankfully the different cover editions for the PJ & the olympians series are all pretty in their own ways. although now it's nearly impossible to find the original covers and that's what I own two..."

I do that too...
I have two books of a series with the new covers and the rest are the original and it just pisses me off when i see them (the new covers were better though...)

message 14: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kostas wrote: "You announced this just at the right time. I was planning to reread anyway after rick announced the new series!"

That's exactly why I decided to host it! I thought it was a bit cliche so I wasn't going to but then people expressed interest in it so I thought ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ why not!

message 15: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Kostas @Jessica
Ew I can't imagine having different covers in one series like that! I only own book 1 and 2 and they're both the same style cover art. It's the one with the minotaur on the cover but if you ask me that's not my fave cover art.
I'd say these 2 are my top faves: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

Then these 2 are pretty good as well:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

But I own this one:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...
which is like the worst one. Who wants this bleugh minotaur on their cover?😂😂

message 16: by jessica (last edited May 25, 2020 07:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments @kostas it's so annoying! and they did do a good job with the new covers for those books. the originals are just nostalgic for me😂

@kadi 😂😂 i like how that's the one you own too. there are a lot of good options for the original five.
it's the next five's new covers that get me.

Tree Bee Potato I recently recieved the illustrated edition of the first book! I will definitely be participating in the discussion and read along!

message 18: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

jessica wrote: "@kadi 😂😂 i like how that's the one you own too. there are a lot o..."

Hold on are we talking about this cover for the next five: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...
or this cover: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
?
The first one is the american cover and the second is the UK one

message 19: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ASparkOfSyd wrote: "I recently recieved the illustrated edition of the first book! I will definitely be participating in the discussion and read along!"

Yay! And the quiz comes out mid-month too!

message 20: by Cat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cat Carstairs | 2 comments I can't wait to participate in this! I was going to re-read it anyway, but this is going to happen just in time. 😁

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments Kadi wrote: "jessica wrote: "@kadi 😂😂 i like how that's the one you own too. there are a lot o..."

Hold on are we talking about this cover for the next five: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7......"

none of the above😅 i don't know if they've officially released them yet so idk if anyone has them, because they're not on goodreads yet. these are what they look like:
https://www.hypable.com/heroes-of-oly...

message 22: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Cat it seems like a lot of people were going to be reading it anyway to refresh the story in their minds because of the Disney+ show announcement so it was the perfect time to host this event!

@Jessica yeah I don't think they've been released yet. The artist certainly has a... distinct style. I can hardly judge I'm definitely not on the same level as her she's a good comic artist it's just why is everyone's nose on every cover so weird? Otherwise they're all quite nice. Except for the third book's cover with that CREEPY head stuck on a spider's body. I would not buy that book for myself let alone my (hypothetical) teenaged kid. Looks really really creepy. Kind of surprised Rick and his marketing team approved that to be honest.

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments @kadi the spider is also kind of a huge spoiler? which annoys me. and yah, they’re really not that bad, i just like the originals a lot better. also they make festus look off in the new ones

message 24: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I can hardly remember the books so I can’t really remember if it’s a spoiler. Oh wait that’s the spider thing where (view spoiler)

Domitylle (can only update books rn. sorry) (dom_brlw) | 55 comments Yep! That's what happened! :)
(view spoiler)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I read most of the books in the Percy Jackson series a while ago, I'll have to find my book #1 copy!

message 27: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Domitylle can I call you Domi? The number of l’s in your name always has me thinking😂 Also yay I haven’t forgotten it totally then!

@Lightning🙌🏻I’ve got my copy at the ready!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Found it!

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments yup that's what happened! but you don't know that's what happens until the very end when it does happen so having it on the cover kinda gives it away from the start

message 30: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh yeah Jessica good point! That’s basically the ending ruined then!

@lightning cat yay! Let’s go👏🏻

Domitylle (can only update books rn. sorry) (dom_brlw) | 55 comments @Kadi Of course you can! I know it can be pretty hard since it's a really French name, my English teachers never know how to pronounce it 😂😅

message 32: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Out of curiosity is it pronounced dom-ee-teal? Or dom-ee-til or dom-ee-tile?😂😂those are the only ways I can think of it being

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello! I'm so excited to do a Goodquiz on Percy Jackson because it's one of my favorite series ever! I hope I can discuss it with everyone in the group, and have a lot of fun doing the Goodquiz! Thanks for making the Goodquiz!!!!

message 34: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wahoo! Thanks for the enthusiasm Kate! I’m excited for the discussion and the quiz too. Also thanks for being the first person to call it a goodquiz! It seemed like a fitting name at the time but I feel like no one’s said it yet because it sounds kinda weird😂😂 I don’t know it’ll probably grow on me...

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Omg no way is it a funny name! I think it's super creative in my opinion! 😂😂😂😂😂😂 I'm so excited!!!!!

Domitylle (can only update books rn. sorry) (dom_brlw) | 55 comments Kadi wrote: "Out of curiosity is it pronounced dom-ee-teal? Or dom-ee-til or dom-ee-tile?😂😂those are the only ways I can think of it being"

😂
You can pronounce it Dom-ee-teal :)
The double "l"s create a sound that doesn't exist in english 🙈😅

message 37: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Kate thanks😂 I feel less cringe about it! And I’m excited too! I haven’t read Percy Jackson in years and recently all my rereads have been eye openers to how good books stay good in your memory but they’re not always that amazing when you actually reread them. I’m curious to see if PJ stands the test of time...

@Domi oooh I get you!

message 39: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

AND SO OUR QUEST BEGINS... Grab your pen (sword) and your copy of PJ Book 1 because we're going full Riordan here!!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I started early so I'm halfway through the book already...oops.

message 41: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

⌁Lightningcat⌁ wrote: "I started early so I'm halfway through the book already...oops."

😂That's ok! I think I might start it tonight!

Tree Bee Potato Yay! I just started the book yesterday and I am loving it! I am currently on page 54 at the time of writing this comment. I am loving Camp Half-Blood. The camp is already now one of my favorite fantasy settings!

message 43: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

The way they can control the weather in the camp is honestly so cool. Like it never has to rain and get wet there. Although imagine how weird it would be to arrive at any camp for the first time and they’re OFFERING FOOD TO GODS BY BURNING IT that’s some WEIRD stuff😂 Percy freaked out a lot less than expected!

message 44: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Starting this tonight hopefully! I'm thinking it'll be a quick and enjoyable read...

Tree Bee Potato Yay! I have finished the book. I gave it a 4.5 stars. I loved the influence of mythology and the character dynamics were amazing! The writing was awesome as well! Are we reading book two next month??

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I finished, too! I'm not sure if I have book two around or not, I'll have to look around for it. :)

message 48: by Kadi, Creator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I wasn’t planning on it but we could do book 2 as a book of the month next month if you guys like!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Sure!

♡Claire♡ Cool! That would be fun!

« previous 1