Buddy Reads w./ Julia Sapphire discussion

If It Bleeds
This topic is about If It Bleeds
If It Bleeds > Story Three: If It Bleeds

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julia Sapphire (juliasapphire) | 45 comments Mod
Here we will be discussing the third story of the collection!

Fred W | 1 comments Just finished this story. Still scratching my head as to what the final outcome was

message 3: by Pam (last edited Jun 03, 2020 07:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam Walters | 2 comments SPOILER ALERT: Am I the only person who thought the uncle was going to end up being an outsider? They talk about him being fast enough to save the lady from falling and then later he talks about Holly being afraid and she wonders how he knew. When she goes back, he's not having a good day and she can't ask him. It feels to me like this was going to be a full book and then King got tired of writing it.

Chris | 5 comments This story was my least favourite. I haven't read the Bill Hodges Trilogy but I think this novella contains enough spoilers. The ending wasn't satisfying for me at all. I don't know what else I had anticipated but for me the conclusion felt kind of defaced. But I found it very touching when Holly visited her uncle and he recognized her right off the bat for the first time.

Chris | 5 comments This story was my least favourite. I haven't read the Bill Hodges Trilogy but I think this novella contains enough spoilers. The ending wasn't satisfying for me at all. I don't know what else I had anticipated but for me the conclusion felt kind of defaced. But I found it very touching when Holly visited her uncle and he recognized her right off the bat for the first time.

message 8: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl | 4 comments I have a question for all those who have read this story and have also read the Bill Hodges Trilogy as well as The Outsider. I have heard that this particular story contains spoilers for those books. Since I haven't read those books yet, I am not sure I want to proceed reading "If It Bleeds". I don't want those books ruined for me by reading it. Can anyone tell me if my reading of those books will be affected by reading this story now? Are these major spoilers in the story?

message 9: by Pam (last edited Jun 03, 2020 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam Walters | 2 comments If you plan to read the others, I suggest reading them first. You will get some serious spoilers about The Outsider and Mr. Mercedes (plus the other two in the trilogy) from reading it. If It Bleeds felt to me like King had started writing another novel and just didn't have it in him to go full-length, so he ended it abruptly. I, personally, felt the same way as what Chris said about If It Bleeds and about the ending of The Outsider. It didn't sit well with me, but everyone else seemed to love it. I think King is getting tired.

Cheryl wrote: "I have a question for all those who have read this story and have also read the Bill Hodges Trilogy as well as The Outsider. I have heard that this particular story contains spoilers for those book..."

message 10: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl | 4 comments Pam wrote: "If you plan to read the others, I suggest reading them first. You will get some serious spoilers about The Outsider and Mr. Mercedes (plus the other two in the trilogy) from reading it. If It Bleed..."
Thank you so much for answering my question, Pam! I appreciate it. I do want to read the other books and in fact Mr. Mercedes is on my summer reading list, so I think I will hold off on reading this this story.

Clare Kelsey | 6 comments I just read Mr. Mercedes last week and I loved it! Because I have only read the first of the Bill Hodges trilogy, I was a little reluctant to read this story because I knew it could contain spoilers. However, I read it anyway and don't think it will ruin my fun when reading the books set before If It Bleeds. I am so glad I got to revisit Holly and see her blossom into someone who learned to cope with her mental illness. Her character growth was amazing along with Jerome and Barbara's. (Jerome is the such a caring and supportive friend.) I was pleasantly surprised that Holly was the protagonist - typically the protagonists in King's books are men and the representation was refreshing.
One thing I love about King's books is that they are all set in the same universe. I feel like the more books by him I read, the more I appreciate them because I better understand his universe and catch more cross references. The Shining was one of the first King books I read, and I've noticed the gift of shining referenced in some of his other characters in different books. I would like to think Dan and Holly have a little bit of the shine and that's how they noticed something was off with Ondowsky.
I thoroughly enjoyed this action packed story and am looking forward to reading the backstory of the first outsider Holly encountered whenever I get to reading the rest of the Bill Hodges trilogy and The Outsider.

ReadingWithZee (zwolfpack) | 5 comments I know I’m late, but I just finished this short story. I do agree with others, in that this felt like it would have been a companion to the Mr.Mercedes trilogy and The Outsider. Overall I did like the character development of Holly compared to how she was in Mr. Mercedes (I only read the first novel of the three so idk if there were spoilers for the other two). In the Outsider I listened to it on audio so I do not remember a lot of details but I do see how King could have furthered the readers understanding of these “Outsiders” with this short story, but I feel it is the same as the Outsider (not spoilery, just my opinion). The ending was a bit lackluster, but the sentiment at the end was endearing.

Cheryl wrote: "I have a question for all those who have read this story and have also read the Bill Hodges Trilogy as well as The Outsider. I have heard that this particular story contains spoilers for those book..."

I have only read The Bill Hodges trilogy and not The Outsider, however, this story does spoil the trilogy.

Clare wrote: "I just read Mr. Mercedes last week and I loved it! Because I have only read the first of the Bill Hodges trilogy, I was a little reluctant to read this story because I knew it could contain spoiler..."

Hi Clare!! Thank you for sharing all your thoughts<3 Also I'm glad you really enjoyed Mr.Mercedes, its one of my favs :)