Read Scotland discussion

38 views
Group Reads > Find Those Freebies

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 378 comments Mod
It’s all about the freebies as these strange times continue....

See what Scottish books out there you can borrow or download for absolutely free - it’s a bit of a challenge, but hope we can all find something! My library are updating their online book lending service with new books all the time, and I believe Audible are making lots of new books available for free.

Comment below what books you’ve nabbed and where you nabbed them from (so we can go look too!)

Happy reading!


message 2: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 114 comments Ellen wrote: "It’s all about the freebies as these strange times continue....

See what Scottish books out there you can borrow or download for absolutely free - it’s a bit of a challenge, but hope we can all f..."


Great!!!


message 3: by Elliot (new)

Elliot | 51 comments https://archive.org/details/texts is a fantastic source of free books which you can read online or download in a number of different formats. I think its collection mostly contains out of print items or books in the public domain. I myself have found dozens of old books which I'd like to read. Its nonfiction selection is particularly strong.


message 4: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 378 comments Mod
Eve wrote: "Just found The Strange Case of Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde on LibriVox. They have free recordings of public domain books so it seemed the best place to start looking."

That’s great, Eve! They’ve got loads! I really enjoyed reading Jekyll and Hyde :)


message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 378 comments Mod
Elliot wrote: "https://archive.org/details/texts is a fantastic source of free books which you can read online or download in a number of different formats. I think its collection mostly contains out of print ite..."

Ooh, they’ve got some really interesting books! I’m fascinated with folklore and will definitely be reading some folklore and old fairy tales from the Scottish library section :)


message 6: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 378 comments Mod
Think I’ve found my freebie from BorrowBox - my library‘s ebook and audiobook lending app.

The Fearful by Keith Gray

I’m currently reading a few other books but will get onto this one soon!


message 7: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 378 comments Mod
Eve wrote: "Finished Jekyll and Hyde. Gave me the shivers!"

It’s spooky isn’t it! And so much shorter than I expected.


message 8: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 378 comments Mod
How is everyone enjoying their freebie books? Fancy a bookclub style question?

If you could have dinner with one of the characters in your book, who would it be? Or would you politely decline the inivitation!?


message 9: by Ellen (last edited Jun 09, 2020 03:41PM) (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 378 comments Mod
PS: I'm not doing so well on this challenge - I didn't like my book at all so stopped reading it. :( I'll be on the hunt for other books using some of the tips you guys have given.


message 10: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 114 comments Ellen wrote: "How is everyone enjoying their freebie books? Fancy a bookclub style question?

If you could have dinner with one of the characters in your book, who would it be? Or would you politely decline the..."


Great question! As it is the fifth in a series of The Scottish Bookshop Mysteries, The Stolen Letter, the answer is an easy yes. Delaney Nichols certainly is a force of nature. Hopefully I can ask enough questions about her adventures and recent marriage that she won't ask me a ton of questions. In book 4 she met Nessie!!! And she has at least three more bookish adventures coming up.
The Stolen Letter (Scottish Bookshop Mystery #5) by Paige Shelton


message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (goodreadscomuser_sherryostroff) | 11 comments Ellen wrote: "It’s all about the freebies as these strange times continue....

See what Scottish books out there you can borrow or download for absolutely free - it’s a bit of a challenge, but hope we can all f..."


One way to get some free books is to find authors who are offering Advanced Review Copies ARC. For example, when I finish writing my book, I will ask readers who would like a free copy in exchange for an honest review. Authors do this all the time. In a little while, I may come back to this site and make that offer. My novels are based on the history and people of Scotland.


message 12: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 378 comments Mod
Kirk wrote: "Ellen wrote: "How is everyone enjoying their freebie books? Fancy a bookclub style question?

If you could have dinner with one of the characters in your book, who would it be? Or would you polite..."


Ooh she sounds like quite the character!


message 13: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 378 comments Mod
Eve wrote: "I wouldn't be any of the characters in Jekyll and Hyde!!"

Haha, no! I wouldn’t either!


back to top