Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 20, 2020 01:23PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
Here's the spot to hang out and try and catch the attention of the Quidditch scouts.

If you want to play, toss your name in the ring. You'll probably need to indicate reading speed and preferred roles

Important
To manage expectations, please note that this has historically been a very fast paced game - there are minimum reading time limits for a reason! For the initial matches, which will be lasting 48hours, you need to be a fast reader, or willing to drop everything and read lots!

As time passes we will be working to create a slower paced game and to find teams with equal reading speeds.

message 2: by Chris (last edited May 21, 2020 06:16AM) (new)

Chris Labib | 190 comments Hello, I've never done this before, but it sounds fun!

It takes me between a day and three days to finish a book, and I believe I might function best as a Chaser, Beater, or Reserve!

In a forty-eight hour period (with limited sleep), at my max, I could probably finish three or four 300-400 page books. Of course, the shorter the books, the more I'll be able to finish. I also have access to a variety of titles through digital services. With those two qualities, I'll take whichever role whichever team would take me in!

message 3: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4082 comments I'm ready to play! I'm a fairly fast reader - I read about 1 book/day on average, but can read faster if needed when playing Quidditch!!

My preferred role is probably beater, but I'm a fairly good chaser and okay seeker. Never played keeper position before.

message 4: by Jessi (last edited May 20, 2020 01:05PM) (new)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1562 comments Yay!! I'm not very fast at physically reading but I can listen to an audio book at 2.5x - 3x speeds.

ETA: Don't really have a preferred position. I haven't played before so whatever is best.

message 5: by Donna (last edited May 22, 2020 03:06AM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments I am a fairly fast reader. I played as a chaser all 3 rounds the last time. That is my preferred role but will play any.

I am on a team already...

message 6: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4082 comments Love listening to audiobooks that fast!! It sounds like chipmunks talking and my daughter walks by when I'm doing it and just shakes her head...

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3758 comments I'd be happy to play anywhere -Seeker is probably my lowest preference, but they are all fun. If I remember correctly, I mostly played keeper last time, but played a bit of the other spots too. I have a very wide access to books, which helps.

Anyway - yay!!

message 8: by Judy (last edited May 20, 2020 09:42PM) (new)

Judy | 1977 comments I'm a fairly fast reader - I can usually read ~300 pages per day pretty easily, more with appropriate motivation ;-) I've never played this before so I don't have a preferred role and I'm game for any

ETA: I recently treated myself to KU so I've got loads more titles available than usual and also have a couple of libraries plus Scribd to scour for fitting books.

message 9: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1562 comments Jammin Jenny wrote: "Love listening to audiobooks that fast!! It sounds like chipmunks talking and my daughter walks by when I'm doing it and just shakes her head..."

haha yes I don't do it a whole lot because it takes intense focus with some books to understand it that fast and know what's going on.

message 10: by Alysa (last edited Jun 07, 2020 11:32AM) (new)

Alysa H. | 3623 comments I have not played before either, so have no idea what position would be best.
I am normally a pretty fast reader but have a lot less reading time these days because of The Situation.

I can get super competitive (*cough*) but solemnly swear I am up to no good that I will not get insane about it this time because See Above.

ETA: on a team.

message 11: by Sammy (new)

Sammy (sammystarbuck) | 4886 comments I've not played this one before, so not entirely sure what position would suit me, but I can probably manage around two 4-500 page books on a weekend between audio and print, or more if reading smaller ones.

From what I can see, this game requires a lot of reading books other people are reading or with similar titles? (It's past my bedtime, so tired isn't helping with rules sinking in. will re-read them tomorrow)
I'm still waiting for my library to get back to me about my lack of online access, so not sure about being able to get hold of titles right now. Just mentioning in case it makes certain positions awkward :) I do have around 2000 titles at home, but you'd be surprised how few tend to overlap with what I see other people reading, lol.

I think chaser sounds like it might fit me best, but hopefully one of you lovely people can advise? :)

message 12: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4082 comments If you have limited access to new titles, but have ~2000 titles available to you then chaser is probably the best fit.

message 13: by Sammy (new)

Sammy (sammystarbuck) | 4886 comments Jammin Jenny wrote: "If you have limited access to new titles, but have ~2000 titles available to you then chaser is probably the best fit."

That's what I figured, but sleepy brain and all, lol.

Thanks! :)

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments Sammy wrote: "I've not played this one before, so not entirely sure what position would suit me, but I can probably manage around two 4-500 page books on a weekend between audio and print, or more if reading sma..."

Chaser tend to read a lot during this game. Pretty non-stop. However, if all 3 of you are reading the current chain, then chains are relatively easy to create. We did ABC, GHI, etc and same word a lot (series numbers can be used also). Beaters can use common words. With the new rules there will be more reading associated with this role than before. I am not sure about Keepers. I am sure there are Lockdown allowances in play. You might want to ask if you are interested in that role.

message 15: by ella (new)

ella  | 9 comments I have not played before, but this challenge seems like a lot of fun!! I'm not the fastest reader, but if I dedicate time towards a book that's 400-500 pages, it will only take me a few hours.

I don't exactly know what position would be best for me, so if anyone who has already done this challenge has any recommendations, feel free to comment! :)

I do have a big variety of books stowed away in my basement & closet and I can always purchase books on my kindle!

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim So glad I’m not the only newbie to this! I have access to a lot of books through Scribd, e-library and KU. I read better under pressure haha. I usually go for larger books (300-500) so shorter books (100-200) take me about a day.

Since I’ve not done this before I’ll join as whatever position doesn’t make my team hate me 😊

message 17: by Berra (new)

Berra Hi, I usually finish shorter books in about a day or 2.

I haven't done this before so any position will be fine with me.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 1360 comments I played Beater in our team games previously with a guest spot as a chaser for one but I wouldn't mind giving keeper a try for this round of games though happy to be beater or chaser.

I can read shorter 100-220 books in an hour or two if need be and can tackle the bigger books too if need be.

message 19: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 593 comments I've never played before but I can read pretty fast when I need to. I tend to read 2-3 books on a weekend but if we do shorter books then I may be able to read a little more. I have no idea which position would be best for me to take on.

message 20: by Tammie (last edited May 20, 2020 11:16PM) (new)

Tammie | 2608 comments I was a Beater for 2 rounds and seeker for 1 round for TTs.
I prefer not, but I can speed read and also do the super fast audio reading. If I remember correctly I read 3 books during at least one of the days. Normally I read about 1 book per day.

I do not want to be seeker. OK with Chaser, Beater and 3rd choice would be a Keeper.

I have decided not to play

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 1834 comments I've played before and was chaser for the duration of the games. Was so intense and crazy at times 🤪 So count me in 😂 I'm a faster reader. Can't remember how many books I read before but know it was a lot.

(And thanks to Donna for informing me of this. Would have so missed it!)

message 22: by Rina (last edited May 25, 2020 03:43AM) (new)

Rina | 584 comments I haven't played this before but would like to play this time.

I can read 100 pages in about an hour or so, especially if it is one of those KU cozy mysteries/paranormal romances.

I can play any role, but I think reserve would be the best, since I am in European time zone - I could jump in for those players who need rest :-)

I am in a team

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1586 comments Quidditch was so much fun! I played one match as a reserve and I'd love to do that again. I subbed in for two stints as a beater (I think) and a keeper. I think reserve works best for me as I can do intense bursts of reading at any time but not for the length of a whole match.

Hufflepuff forever. :)

message 24: by Sammy (new)

Sammy (sammystarbuck) | 4886 comments Actually, it sounds like reserve might work best for me too... I can happily read for a 6 hour stretch (especially audio), but would need more than a 6 hour break during the course of a weekend! (I really need my sleep, lol.)

Being in the UK, I could read mornings while US folk are sleeping...

message 25: by leah (new)

leah (leahwilliams) | 31 comments hi, i would be very interested in joining. i have never done this challenge before but i can read pretty fast (60-100 pages an hour) and wouldn’t mind any position (preferably not seeker)

message 26: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 459 comments I can prob read for several hours straight but I'm a really slow reader. Maybe, in the future could we do a slower paced one

message 27: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 459 comments I have about 60 or more books to choose from

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4943 comments Slytherpuff wrote: "I can prob read for several hours straight but I'm a really slow reader. Maybe, in the future could we do a slower paced one"

I think that is being discussed. There are a lot of people who don't want to read quickly, or can't, or don't have large blocks of time to devote to a challenge. I imagine there will be a non-insanely-paced version at some point.

message 29: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 459 comments Glad to hear

message 30: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4943 comments Hey all!
Don't forget, this is a self-sort team area. There is one team formed already, and it looks like there are enough here for maybe two more.

Someone grab up the reins, grab some players, start a thread for your team (ask a mod if you need help) and start to think of team names!

message 31: by Donna (last edited May 26, 2020 05:46AM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments Team formed - Team Who Must Not Be Named

Lexi
Jenny
Judith
Donna
Rebecca
Minx
Maddy
Jessi
Alysa
Suzanne

message 32: by leah (new)

leah (leahwilliams) | 31 comments i’m really interested in joining a team if anyone wants me. i’m a fairly quick reader and have a range of books to read from

message 33: by Louise (new)

Louise | 2304 comments After much deliberation I’ve decided to jump back in to this. I enjoyed the HP Towers Quidditch although I ended up reading some rather dubious books to try for a win.

message 34: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments Louise wrote: "After much deliberation I’ve decided to jump back in to this. I enjoyed the HP Towers Quidditch although I ended up reading some rather dubious books to try for a win."

Aw come on... you didn't enjoy some of those books? LOL We read some interesting stuff for sure!

message 35: by Louise (new)

Louise | 2304 comments Donna wrote: "Louise wrote: "After much deliberation I’ve decided to jump back in to this. I enjoyed the HP Towers Quidditch although I ended up reading some rather dubious books to try for a win."

Aw come on....."

I’m probably scarred for life 😉

message 36: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments At least you are in good company while you are being further scarred for life.

message 37: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4943 comments Hey all!
I am just curious if any of you have been secretly forming a team?
Please. please form another team!

message 38: by Ambi (new)

Ambi | 615 comments We are gathering up people to form one. :)

message 39: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4943 comments Woohoo!!!!

message 40: by ella (new)

ella  | 9 comments Jenny wrote: "Hey all!
Please. please form another team!"

If you still have any places left on a team, feel free to let me know :) I'd love to hop in on this one!

message 41: by Shannon (new)

Shannon O'Flynn | 240 comments Is this still open? If so i would like to join. This is my first time doing this so im open to any position. If i like the book i usually read about 300 pages to the entire book a day. Occasionally if motivated 2 books a day.

message 42: by leah (new)

leah (leahwilliams) | 31 comments g. wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Hey all!
Please. please form another team!"

If you still have any places left on a team, feel free to let me know :..."

I think people are forming teams secretly and a few may have spaces as people haven't checked into the group yet!

message 43: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments Yes, teams are forming secretly. We are supposed to announce them here once they are complete. You can always PM people listed here to try to get on a team currently forming.

message 44: by Sammy (new)

Sammy (sammystarbuck) | 4886 comments Donna wrote: "Yes, teams are forming secretly. We are supposed to announce them here once they are complete. You can always PM people listed here to try to get on a team currently forming."

Either that, or people are taking one look at the team you guys put together and figured there's no point! lol.

message 45: by Ambi (new)

Ambi | 615 comments Haha right?

message 46: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4943 comments Scared of a challenge, huh? Somehow I think everyone here will rise to the occasion beautifully. The veterans had to learn how to do it by being thrown into the fire too you know!

(I love/hate spell check. For a moment, I was thinking everyone would risotto the occasion.)

message 47: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments We have some faster and some slower readers, some veterans & some newbies. However, if you are afraid of a little challenge....

message 48: by Ambi (new)

Ambi | 615 comments We can be formidable if we want to be...

description

message 49: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments Bring it on!

message 50: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments description VS description

« previous 1