Play Book Tag discussion

The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
This topic is about The Duke and I
May 2020: Comedy > The Duke and I by Julia Quinn - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Teodora Paslaru | 149 comments The rating of this book doesn't necessarily reflect my opinion of the writing or the way the story flowed. The problem is that I detest stories that promote abuse, no matter if it's done by a man or a woman, and I believe this is what Daphne did to Simon. (view spoiler) It's true, the book did not present that event as the character's greatest achievement, but nor did it put it in enough bad light.

If it wouldn't have been for that event, this book would've gotten three, maybe even four stars. The writing is good, it has a touch of humor, and it's a fast read. And up until that point, the characters had been interesting enough to make me care. But then... well. I like strong heroines, but I don't like abusers and I don't think what Daphne did is forgivable. So I won't be in a hurry to continue with the series.

If you're a fan of historical romance and maybe old enough to stop judging the characters, maybe this is a book you could read, but then just think if the roles of Daphnie and Simon would've been reversed, with Daphne the man and Simon the woman. What would you say then?

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Ah, regency romance. It causes such conflicting emotions! Though I admit that this is bit of the tables being turned from normal regency!

I would find that annoying as well. Also, my rape flag goes up when I hear that she slept with Simon who was too drunk to consent. And that is not my jam.